Monday, June 23, 2008
"Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, CockSucker, MotherFucker,Tits,Fart,Turd and Twat"
George Carlin, the dean of counterculture comedians whose biting insights on life and language were immortalized in his "Seven Words You Can Never Say On TV" routine, died of heart failure Sunday. He was 71.
Carlin, who had a history of heart trouble, went into St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica on Sunday afternoon complaining of chest pain and died later that evening, said his publicist, Jeff Abraham. He had performed as recently as last weekend at the Orleans Casino and Hotel in Las Vegas.
"He was a genius and I will miss him dearly," Jack Burns, who was the other half of a comedy duo with Carlin in the early 1960s, told The Associated Press.
Carlin's jokes constantly breached the accepted boundaries of comedy and language, particularly with his routine on the "Seven Words" -- all of which are taboo on broadcast TV and radio to this day. When he uttered all seven at a show in Milwaukee in 1972, he was arrested on charges of disturbing the peace, freed on $150 bail and exonerated when a Wisconsin judge dismissed the case, saying it was indecent but citing free speech and the lack of any disturbance.
When the words were later played on a New York radio station, they resulted in a 1978 Supreme Court ruling upholding the government's authority to sanction stations for broadcasting offensive language during hours when children might be listening.
"So my name is a footnote in American legal history, which I'm perversely kind of proud of," he told The Associated Press earlier this year.
Despite his reputation as unapologetically irreverent, Carlin was a television staple through the decades, serving as host of the "Saturday Night Live" debut in 1975 -- noting on his Web site that he was "loaded on cocaine all week long" -- and appearing some 130 times on "The Tonight Show."
He produced 23 comedy albums, 14 HBO specials, three books, a couple of TV shows and appeared in several movies, from his own comedy specials to "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" in 1989 -- a testament to his range from cerebral satire and cultural commentary to downright silliness (and sometimes hitting all points in one stroke).
"Why do they lock gas station bathrooms?" he once mused. "Are they afraid someone will clean them?"
He won four Grammy Awards, each for best spoken comedy album, and was nominated for five Emmy awards. On Tuesday, it was announced that Carlin was being awarded the 11th annual Mark Twain Prize for American Humor, which will be presented Nov. 10 in Washington and broadcast on PBS.
Carlin started his career on the traditional nightclub circuit in a coat and tie, pairing with Burns to spoof TV game shows, news and movies. Perhaps in spite of the outlaw soul, "George was fairly conservative when I met him," said Burns, describing himself as the more left-leaning of the two. It was a degree of separation that would reverse when they came upon Lenny Bruce, the original shock comic, in the early '60s.
"We were working in Chicago, and we went to see Lenny, and we were both blown away," Burns said, recalling the moment as the beginning of the end for their collaboration if not their close friendship. "It was an epiphany for George. The comedy we were doing at the time wasn't exactly groundbreaking, and George knew then that he wanted to go in a different direction."
That direction would make Carlin as much a social commentator and philosopher as comedian, a position he would relish through the years.
"The whole problem with this idea of obscenity and indecency, and all of these things -- bad language and whatever -- it's all caused by one basic thing, and that is: religious superstition," Carlin told the AP in a 2004 interview. "There's an idea that the human body is somehow evil and bad and there are parts of it that are especially evil and bad, and we should be ashamed. Fear, guilt and shame are built into the attitude toward sex and the body. ... It's reflected in these prohibitions and these taboos that we have."
When asked about the fallout from the Super Bowl halftime show that ended with Janet Jackson's breast-baring "wardrobe malfunction," Carlin told the AP, "What are we, surprised?"
"On that Super Bowl broadcast of Janet Jackson's there was also a commercial about a 4-hour erection. A lot of people were saying about Janet Jackson, 'How do I explain to my kids? We're a little family, we watched it together ...' And, well, what did you say about the other thing? These are convenient targets."
Carlin was born May 12, 1937 and grew up in the Morningside Heights section of Manhattan, raised by a single mother. After dropping out of high school in the ninth grade, he joined the Air Force in 1954. He received three court-martials and numerous disciplinary punishments, according to his official Web site.
While in the Air Force he started working as an off-base disc jockey at a radio station in Shreveport, La., and after receiving a general discharge in 1957, took an announcing job at WEZE in Boston.
"Fired after three months for driving mobile news van to New York to buy pot," his Web site says.
From there he went on to a job on the night shift as a deejay at a radio station in Forth Worth, Texas. Carlin also worked variety of temporary jobs including a carnival organist and a marketing director for a peanut brittle.
In 1960, he left with Burns, a Texas radio buddy, for Hollywood to pursue a nightclub career as comedy team Burns & Carlin. He left with $300, but his first break came just months later when the duo appeared on the Tonight Show with Jack Paar.
Carlin said he hoped to would emulate his childhood hero, Danny Kaye, the kindly, rubber-faced comedian who ruled over the decade that Carlin grew up in -- the 1950s -- with a clever but gentle humor reflective of its times.
Only problem was, it didn't work for him, and they broke up by 1962.
"I was doing superficial comedy entertaining people who didn't really care: Businessmen, people in nightclubs, conservative people. And I had been doing that for the better part of 10 years when it finally dawned on me that I was in the wrong place doing the wrong things for the wrong people," Carlin reflected recently as he prepared for his 14th HBO special, "It's Bad For Ya."
Eventually Carlin lost the buttoned-up look, favoring the beard, ponytail and all-black attire for which he came to be known.
But even with his decidedly adult-comedy bent, Carlin never lost his childlike sense of mischief, even voicing kid-friendly projects like episodes of the TV show "Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends" and the spacey Volkswagen bus Fillmore in the 2006 Pixar hit "Cars."
Carlin's first wife, Brenda, died in 1997. He is survived by wife Sally Wade; daughter Kelly Carlin McCall; son-in-law Bob McCall; brother Patrick Carlin; and sister-in-law Marlene Carlin.
Donald Trump, a co-owner of “Miss USA”, “Miss Universe” and “Miss Teen USA” pageants, has come up with a new reality TV show which will take...
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
Yes ALL of these women are over 50 years old, sure some of them have had some work, but I mean come on a few are grand mothers (GMILFS)!, a...
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any po...
Austria drew first blood early today when their topless women's football team beat Germany 10-5. The traditional swapping of shirts afte...
Chloe Marshall has recently won the Miss Surrey 2008 beauty pageant. She will now advance to the Miss England contest, which is open to fema...
ANA PAULA CONNELY JULIANA SILVA LARISSA FRANCA MICHELE MOORE SUZANNE STONEBARGER SEE THEM ALL AT WORLDOFISSAC
Wow Paulina still very perky at 44 ! Read about Paulas interesting childhood escaping the iron curtain THE NILES LESH PROJECT - ALL...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- LAURA VANDERVOORT - ON THE SET - IN TO THE BLUE
- ONLY IN NEW YORK ???
- KATE MOSS "I JUST WANNA MAKE LOVE TO YOU"
- MARISSA MILLER - RADAR MAGAZINE
- HOT BRAZILIAN SAND SCULPTURES ! ! !
- What is The NILES LESH Project ???
- FINALLY - THE DONUT BACON EGG BURGER !
- BROOKE "THE HULKSTRESS" HOGAN - MAXIM -JULY
- WORLDS BEST PIG TATOOS ???
- ALI LARTER - BIKINILICIOUS - ALLURE MAGAZINE
- AYVEQ - BROOKLYN'S FAMOUS MASTRUBATING WALRUS - R ...
- GIANT PENIS DISTURBS GRADUATION CEREMONY ?
- VERNE TROYER'S - $20 MILLION "MINI ME" SEX TAPE
- THE ULTIMATE HOME THEATRE SYSTEM ! ! !
- AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL - NEW JERSEY ?
- GEORGE CARLIN - WHAT'S MY LINE - 1969
- HOLLYWOOD SMOKIEST STARS !
- MATT DAMON - REGULAR GUY LOOK ???
- FINALLY - A "MINI -ME" SEX TAPE ???
- 2 WORDS - WACKY PACKAGES ! ! !
- KRISTEN BELL - Works out her amazing ass !
- SHARON STONE at the beach - Chi magazine
- Alicia Silverstone: My dogs don't fart because the...
- The MOASTER - Worlds highest popping toaster !
- MIRANDA KERR - TECHNICALLY TOPLESS
- ROB ZOMBIES - TYRANNASAURUS REX
- 28 DAYS "SLATER" ???
- THE BABES OF "LOST"
- SPENCER TUNICK - DUBLIN SHOOT
- STRANGE HOLIDAYS - Antzar Eguna (Goose Day)
- GEORGE CARLIN 1937 - 2008
- TOM CRUISE CONTROLLED BY ALIENS ???
- JIM DENEVAN - WORLDS LARGEST DRAWING !
- GLAMOUR FREE CELEBRITY PHOTOS ???
- The aroused manhood of the Cerne Abbas giant is va...
- CHINESE OLYMPIC CUISINE INCLUDES "Chicken without ...
- BAISERE - WOMEN
- FINALLY - AMBIDEXTRIOUS PITCHER vs SWITCH HITTER
- MAN TRIES TO ROB STORE WITH PALM TREE ?
- THE BEER BELLY AND THE WINE RACK ???
- ARE YOU TOUGH ENOUGH TO BE DUMB ???
- KATE MOSS - DARIA WERBOWY - LARA STONE - NUDE - W ...
- WHEN STEVE GUTTENBERG ATTACKS ???
- FINALLY - AN 800 POUND EMENA MONUMENT !!!
- GISELE BUNDCHEN - TOPLESS BOTTOMLESS - GQ
- FINALLY - A ROBOTIC GIRLFRIEND FOR $175 ! ! !
- JESSICA SIMPSON LOVES HER MEAT ! ! !
- TALAN "T- MAN LATZ" 8 YEAR OLD BLUES MAN !
- FINALLY - HIGH HEELED BABY SHOES ???
- AUSTRIAN TOPLESS WOMEN TOP GERMAN TOPLESS WOMEN 10...
- NEW OLYMPIC BIKINI RECORD SET ! ! !
- NSFW - BEST CENSORED VIDEO EVER ???
- VICTORIA BECKHAM - POSH PARIS POSE - ELLE
- KIM AND KOURTNEY KARDASHIAN - BIKINI DIP
- HENRY NICHOLAS - PARTY LIKE A BILLIONAIRE 101
- HAPPY FATHER'S DAY ! ! !
- SOPHIA LOREN - CLASSICA ITALIANA
- PRINCESS EUGENIE'S NAKED ROMP ?
- THE INCREDIBLE HULK - NEW TRAILER
- ZOOIE DESCHANEL - "THE HAPPENING" PREMIER
- BIG ASS HOLE GALLERY ?
- MIENFOKS - MISCELLANIA FILES
- GUMMY LIGHTHOUSES ???
- THE STRANGE AND TWISTED WORLD OF THE FASHION FOOD ...
- WHY POLISH TABLOIDS ARE THE BEST ???
- CHARLIZE THERON - BRITISH GQ - JULY 2008
- CELEBRITY POTHEDZ !
- MR PINK'S TIPPING ETIQUETTE
- CAROLINE TRENTINI - CLASSE
- FINALLY - A FRAMED AUTOGRAPHED SOUP NAZI PHOTO !
- ISABELLA FONTANA - SPORTY ON THE BEACH
- SO, YOU HAD A BAD DAY ???
- HOW HOT HAS IT BEEN LATELY ?
- BORIS THE BULL MASTIFF IS SO LARGE HE CAN BE SEEN ...
- LINDA EVANGELISTA - STEVEN MEISEL - DUCHESS
- "BIGGER STRONGER FASTER" TRAILER
- BEHATI PRINSLOO - VICTORIA'S SECRET- PINK
- GERALDO RIVERA - GETS MEDICALLY STONED ?
- NUTS MAGAZINE 100 TOP TOPLESS BABES
- COHEN BROTHERS "BURN AFTER READING" TRAILER
- ALESSANDRA AMBROSIO - OCEAN DRIVE ESPANOL & BRAZIL...
- YES,...ITS A FAKE
- JOSH HAMILTON - CRACKHEAD TO TRIPLECROWN THREAT
- WILLIAM ALAN SHATNER - A RETROSPECTIVE
- QUEEN GREETED BY "FACE PULLING" CHAMP ?
- MAKING POPCORN WITH A CELLPHONE ???
- PHOTOSHOP EXTREME REALISM ???
- JIM McKAY - Veteran sportscaster dies at 87
- MIENFOKS T - SHIRT CONTEST - KINGPIN
- SOPHIE MARCEAU - BLACK AND WHITES
- MMM...FABULOUS ?
- "DERRIE - AIR" - AIRLINE CHARGES BY THE POUND ???
- MAXI MOUNDS WEIGHS IN ON THE CHRISTINA SHOW
- PIMP MY POODLE ???
- GREATEST COMICBOOK CELEBRITY CAMEOS
- SPIDERMEN TWO FOR ONE DEAL IN NYC ! ! !
- YVES SAINT LAURENT (AUG 1936 - JUNE 2008)
- BILLWARD - CARTOONIST EXTRORDINARE
- MICROSOFT DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGMENT
- MYSTERY OF LEVITATION SOLVED ???
- ▼ June (113)