Friday, June 6, 2008
SPIDERMEN TWO FOR ONE DEAL IN NYC ! ! !
Two men, one a practiced French stuntman known for climbing tall buildings, the other a New Yorker who said he wanted to raise awareness of the dangers of malaria, scaled the 52-story New York Times Building in Times Square on Thursday just hours apart. Each was arrested when he stepped safely onto the roof.
Later in the day, a man identified by the police as Renaldo Clarke scaled the tower’s western side, where people on the 50th floor watched his ascent. More Photos »
The first, Alain Robert, the Frenchman, went up the north face of the year-old skyscraper in the morning, unfurling a bright green banner near the top. The words on the banner were illegible from the sidewalk, but from office windows inside the tower the message could be clearly read: “Global warming kills more people than 9/11 every week.”
The other, identified by the police as Renaldo Clarke, 32, of Brooklyn, climbed the Eighth Avenue side starting about 6 p.m.
A spokeswoman for The Times, Catherine J. Mathis, said that after the first climber was arrested, two additional building security guards were assigned to patrol the area outside, on 40th and 41st Streets.
Both climbers grabbed onto one of the building’s most distinctive features, the ladderlike horizontal rods that form an exterior curtain surrounding the floor-to-ceiling windows. And then, in turn, they were off on a hand-over-hand trip up the face of a New York skyscraper, with no ropes or harnesses, a trip that left the cellphone-camera-snapping crowds that swirled below thinking of Spider-Man, or maybe King Kong.
“He was staring at me on the fourth floor,” said Kim Severson, a reporter for The Times’s Dining section, who saw Mr. Clarke pass by. “At first, I thought, ‘Is he a window washer?’ But he had no equipment. He turned and climbed up at a very rapid pace. He looked very focused. He looked very solemn and determined.”
Both times, the police and Times security officials cordoned off the sidewalk below as crowds gathered. Both times, television news helicopters circled, zooming in as each climber grabbed onto ever-higher rungs.
“It’s very scary,” said Dan Sella, an associate at the law firm of Covington & Burling L.L.P., who watched Mr. Clarke go by on the 41st floor.
But witnesses said there appeared to be differences between the climbs. Mr. Robert seemed better prepared, with a fanny pack that contained chalk to help his grip and liquid to drink.
“When Alain came up this side, it was a cakewalk for him,” said Nick Mudge, 24, a chef at Covington & Burling.
Mr. Clarke — his hands blackened by dirt from the ceramic rods — looked “fatigued” as he passed the 43rd floor, Mr. Mudge said. “He stopped and hung by his arms. His feet were just swinging back and forth.”
Mr. Clarke took to stopping at floors where there were breaks in the bars, and looking inside, where small crowds stared back.
“He mouthed to me, ‘What floor am I on?’ ” said Andrew M. Bratt, an associate at Covington & Burling. “I hand-signaled that he was on 41. He nodded and looked down and moved on. He was smiling.”
Mr. Clarke smiled even when one of the ceramic rods cracked underfoot as he made his way from the 47th floor to the 48th, another witness said.
The crowd in front of the Port Authority Bus Terminal, across Eighth Avenue, let out a cheer in exuberant relief when Mr. Clarke made it safely to the top. But some spectators criticized the stunt.
“He’s disrupting the city,” said Zee Mosher, 33, a graphic designer with a portrait of Buckminster Fuller tattooed on his neck. “He’s endangering his own life and the lives of other people.”
The chief spokesman for the police, Paul J. Browne, said that Mr. Clarke, of Brooklyn, was taken to Bellevue Hospital Center for psychiatric evaluation after his arrest.
Shortly before 11 p.m. Thursday, the police said, Mr. Clarke was moved from Bellevue to the Midtown South Precinct station house. He emerged from Midtown South about a half-hour later. He paused for a moment at the top of the steps as reporters shouted questions.
When asked if he was a copycat climber, he said, flatly, “No.”
Officers then loaded him into an unmarked car and took him to Central Booking to be arraigned. Mr. Clarke was charged with reckless endangerment, criminal trespass and disorderly conduct.
Mr. Robert, 45, who was released on bail early Friday, was facing the same charges as well as a charge of making graffiti, in reference to the banner he unfurled after his climb.
After being freed, Mr. Robert would only say that he was “very happy to be released.” He was overheard telling friends in French that he was tired.
FINALLY, SOMEBODY HAS THE BALLS TO DO SOMETHING INTERESTING IN THIS CITY !!!
IT'S BEEN LIKE A MORGUE SINCE THE 2004 REPUBLICAN CONVENTION(I USED MORGUE BECAUSE ITS A FRENCH WORD)
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
3PLT: Saturday Morning Alive Show #1 - All Rights Reserved 2010 - The Niles Lesh Project Follow NILES LESH / MIENFOKS on TWITTER !
SHE IS A POTENTIAL F D I L F !!! Meghan McCain is a 23-year-old, socially liberal John Kerry voter who loves Superbad, Dita von Teese, Bud L...
Business must be slow for porn star Amy Reid these days. Reid is advertising her “services” on an escort service website. Now you too can pi...
Chloe Marshall has recently won the Miss Surrey 2008 beauty pageant. She will now advance to the Miss England contest, which is open to fema...
Princess Eugenie of York, 18, daughter of Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York and Prince Andrew Wales, Duke of York, took part in a naked celebr...
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- LAURA VANDERVOORT - ON THE SET - IN TO THE BLUE
- ONLY IN NEW YORK ???
- KATE MOSS "I JUST WANNA MAKE LOVE TO YOU"
- MARISSA MILLER - RADAR MAGAZINE
- HOT BRAZILIAN SAND SCULPTURES ! ! !
- What is The NILES LESH Project ???
- FINALLY - THE DONUT BACON EGG BURGER !
- BROOKE "THE HULKSTRESS" HOGAN - MAXIM -JULY
- WORLDS BEST PIG TATOOS ???
- ALI LARTER - BIKINILICIOUS - ALLURE MAGAZINE
- AYVEQ - BROOKLYN'S FAMOUS MASTRUBATING WALRUS - R ...
- GIANT PENIS DISTURBS GRADUATION CEREMONY ?
- VERNE TROYER'S - $20 MILLION "MINI ME" SEX TAPE
- THE ULTIMATE HOME THEATRE SYSTEM ! ! !
- AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL - NEW JERSEY ?
- GEORGE CARLIN - WHAT'S MY LINE - 1969
- HOLLYWOOD SMOKIEST STARS !
- MATT DAMON - REGULAR GUY LOOK ???
- FINALLY - A "MINI -ME" SEX TAPE ???
- 2 WORDS - WACKY PACKAGES ! ! !
- KRISTEN BELL - Works out her amazing ass !
- SHARON STONE at the beach - Chi magazine
- Alicia Silverstone: My dogs don't fart because the...
- The MOASTER - Worlds highest popping toaster !
- MIRANDA KERR - TECHNICALLY TOPLESS
- ROB ZOMBIES - TYRANNASAURUS REX
- 28 DAYS "SLATER" ???
- THE BABES OF "LOST"
- SPENCER TUNICK - DUBLIN SHOOT
- STRANGE HOLIDAYS - Antzar Eguna (Goose Day)
- GEORGE CARLIN 1937 - 2008
- TOM CRUISE CONTROLLED BY ALIENS ???
- JIM DENEVAN - WORLDS LARGEST DRAWING !
- GLAMOUR FREE CELEBRITY PHOTOS ???
- The aroused manhood of the Cerne Abbas giant is va...
- CHINESE OLYMPIC CUISINE INCLUDES "Chicken without ...
- BAISERE - WOMEN
- FINALLY - AMBIDEXTRIOUS PITCHER vs SWITCH HITTER
- MAN TRIES TO ROB STORE WITH PALM TREE ?
- THE BEER BELLY AND THE WINE RACK ???
- ARE YOU TOUGH ENOUGH TO BE DUMB ???
- KATE MOSS - DARIA WERBOWY - LARA STONE - NUDE - W ...
- WHEN STEVE GUTTENBERG ATTACKS ???
- FINALLY - AN 800 POUND EMENA MONUMENT !!!
- GISELE BUNDCHEN - TOPLESS BOTTOMLESS - GQ
- FINALLY - A ROBOTIC GIRLFRIEND FOR $175 ! ! !
- JESSICA SIMPSON LOVES HER MEAT ! ! !
- TALAN "T- MAN LATZ" 8 YEAR OLD BLUES MAN !
- FINALLY - HIGH HEELED BABY SHOES ???
- AUSTRIAN TOPLESS WOMEN TOP GERMAN TOPLESS WOMEN 10...
- NEW OLYMPIC BIKINI RECORD SET ! ! !
- NSFW - BEST CENSORED VIDEO EVER ???
- VICTORIA BECKHAM - POSH PARIS POSE - ELLE
- KIM AND KOURTNEY KARDASHIAN - BIKINI DIP
- HENRY NICHOLAS - PARTY LIKE A BILLIONAIRE 101
- HAPPY FATHER'S DAY ! ! !
- SOPHIA LOREN - CLASSICA ITALIANA
- PRINCESS EUGENIE'S NAKED ROMP ?
- THE INCREDIBLE HULK - NEW TRAILER
- ZOOIE DESCHANEL - "THE HAPPENING" PREMIER
- BIG ASS HOLE GALLERY ?
- MIENFOKS - MISCELLANIA FILES
- GUMMY LIGHTHOUSES ???
- THE STRANGE AND TWISTED WORLD OF THE FASHION FOOD ...
- WHY POLISH TABLOIDS ARE THE BEST ???
- CHARLIZE THERON - BRITISH GQ - JULY 2008
- CELEBRITY POTHEDZ !
- MR PINK'S TIPPING ETIQUETTE
- CAROLINE TRENTINI - CLASSE
- FINALLY - A FRAMED AUTOGRAPHED SOUP NAZI PHOTO !
- ISABELLA FONTANA - SPORTY ON THE BEACH
- SO, YOU HAD A BAD DAY ???
- HOW HOT HAS IT BEEN LATELY ?
- BORIS THE BULL MASTIFF IS SO LARGE HE CAN BE SEEN ...
- LINDA EVANGELISTA - STEVEN MEISEL - DUCHESS
- "BIGGER STRONGER FASTER" TRAILER
- BEHATI PRINSLOO - VICTORIA'S SECRET- PINK
- GERALDO RIVERA - GETS MEDICALLY STONED ?
- NUTS MAGAZINE 100 TOP TOPLESS BABES
- COHEN BROTHERS "BURN AFTER READING" TRAILER
- ALESSANDRA AMBROSIO - OCEAN DRIVE ESPANOL & BRAZIL...
- YES,...ITS A FAKE
- JOSH HAMILTON - CRACKHEAD TO TRIPLECROWN THREAT
- WILLIAM ALAN SHATNER - A RETROSPECTIVE
- QUEEN GREETED BY "FACE PULLING" CHAMP ?
- MAKING POPCORN WITH A CELLPHONE ???
- PHOTOSHOP EXTREME REALISM ???
- JIM McKAY - Veteran sportscaster dies at 87
- MIENFOKS T - SHIRT CONTEST - KINGPIN
- SOPHIE MARCEAU - BLACK AND WHITES
- MMM...FABULOUS ?
- "DERRIE - AIR" - AIRLINE CHARGES BY THE POUND ???
- MAXI MOUNDS WEIGHS IN ON THE CHRISTINA SHOW
- PIMP MY POODLE ???
- GREATEST COMICBOOK CELEBRITY CAMEOS
- SPIDERMEN TWO FOR ONE DEAL IN NYC ! ! !
- YVES SAINT LAURENT (AUG 1936 - JUNE 2008)
- BILLWARD - CARTOONIST EXTRORDINARE
- MICROSOFT DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGMENT
- MYSTERY OF LEVITATION SOLVED ???
- ▼ June (113)