Tuesday, June 3, 2008
Rock pioneer Bo Diddley dies at age 79
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Bo Diddley, a founding father of rock ’n’ roll whose distinctive “shave and a haircut, two bits” rhythm and innovative guitar effects inspired legions of other musicians, died Monday after months of ill health. He was 79.
Diddley died of heart failure at his home in Archer, Fla., spokeswoman Susan Clary said. He had suffered a heart attack in August, three months after suffering a stroke while touring in Iowa. Doctors said the stroke affected his ability to speak, and he had returned to Florida to continue rehabilitation.
The legendary singer and performer, known for his homemade square guitar, dark glasses and black hat, was an inductee into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, had a star on Hollywood’s Walk of Fame, and received a lifetime achievement award in 1999 at the Grammy Awards. In recent years he also played for the elder President Bush and President Clinton.
Diddley appreciated the honors he received, “but it didn’t put no figures in my checkbook.”
“If you ain’t got no money, ain’t nobody calls you honey,” he quipped.
The name Bo Diddley came from other youngsters when he was growing up in Chicago, he said in a 1999 interview.
“I don’t know where the kids got it, but the kids in grammar school gave me that name,” he said, adding that he liked it so it became his stage name. Other times, he gave somewhat differing stories on where he got the name. Some experts believe a possible source for the name is a one-string instrument used in traditional blues music called a diddley bow.
Bo Diddley,” introduced record buyers in 1955 to his signature rhythm: bomp ba-bomp bomp, bomp bomp, often summarized as “shave and a haircut, two bits.” The B side, “I’m a Man,” with its slightly humorous take on macho pride, also became a rock standard.
The company that issued his early songs was Chess-Checkers records, the storied Chicago-based labels that also recorded Chuck Berry and other stars.
Howard Kramer, assistant curator of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, said in 2006 that Diddley’s Chess recordings “stand among the best singular recordings of the 20th century.”
Diddley’s other major songs included, “Say Man,” “You Can’t Judge a Book by Its Cover,” “Shave and a Haircut,” “Uncle John,” “Who Do You Love?” and “The Mule.”
Diddley’s influence was felt on both sides of the Atlantic. Buddy Holly borrowed the bomp ba-bomp bomp, bomp bomp rhythm for his song “Not Fade Away.”
The Rolling Stones’ bluesy remake of that Holly song gave them their first chart single in the United States, in 1964. The following year, another British band, the Yardbirds, had a Top 20 hit in the U.S. with their version of “I’m a Man.”
Diddley was also one of the pioneers of the electric guitar, adding reverb and tremelo effects. He even rigged some of his guitars himself.
“He treats it like it was a drum, very rhythmic,” E. Michael Harrington, professor of music theory and composition at Belmont University in Nashville, Tenn., said in 2006.
Many other artists, including the Who, Bruce Springsteen and Elvis Costello copied aspects of Diddley’s style.
Growing up, Diddley said he had no musical idols, and he wasn’t entirely pleased that others drew on his innovations.
“I don’t like to copy anybody. Everybody tries to do what I do, update it,” he said. “I don’t have any idols I copied after.”
“They copied everything I did, upgraded it, messed it up. It seems to me that nobody can come up with their own thing, they have to put a little bit of Bo Diddley there,” he said.
‘I never got paid’
Despite his success, Diddley claimed he only received a small portion of the money he made during his career. Partly as a result, he continued to tour and record music until his stroke. Between tours, he made his home near Gainesville in north Florida.
“Seventy ain’t nothing but a damn number,” he told The Associated Press in 1999. “I’m writing and creating new stuff and putting together new different things. Trying to stay out there and roll with the punches. I ain’t quit yet.”
Diddley, like other artists of his generations, was paid a flat fee for his recordings and said he received no royalty payments on record sales. He also said he was never paid for many of his performances.
“I am owed. I’ve never got paid,” he said. “A dude with a pencil is worse than a cat with a machine gun.”
Join the discussion
Newsvine.com: Share your thoughts on Bo Diddley
Newsweek: Bo Diddly was ornery, utterly original
In the early 1950s, Diddley said, disc jockeys called his type of music, “Jungle Music.” It was Cleveland disc jockey Alan Freed who is credited with inventing the term “rock ’n’ roll.”
Diddley said Freed was talking about him, when he introduced him, saying, “Here is a man with an original sound, who is going to rock and roll you right out of your seat.”
Diddley won attention from a new generation in 1989 when he took part in the “Bo Knows” ad campaign for Nike, built around football and baseball star Bo Jackson. Commenting on Jackson’s guitar skills, Diddley says to him, “Bo, you don’t know diddly.”
“I never could figure out what it had to do with shoes, but it worked,” Diddley said. “I got into a lot of new front rooms on the tube.”
3PLT: Saturday Morning Alive Show #1 - All Rights Reserved 2010 - The Niles Lesh Project Follow NILES LESH / MIENFOKS on TWITTER !
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
SHE IS A POTENTIAL F D I L F !!! Meghan McCain is a 23-year-old, socially liberal John Kerry voter who loves Superbad, Dita von Teese, Bud L...
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any po...
3PLT: Saturday Morning Alive Show #2 - Keith Price's Curtain Call - Giorgio's Poems - Money Casholini's Oscar Wrap !- All Rights Reserved 2010 - The Niles Lesh Project Follow NILES LESH / MIENFOKS on TWITTER !
Donald Trump, a co-owner of “Miss USA”, “Miss Universe” and “Miss Teen USA” pageants, has come up with a new reality TV show which will take...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- LAURA VANDERVOORT - ON THE SET - IN TO THE BLUE
- ONLY IN NEW YORK ???
- KATE MOSS "I JUST WANNA MAKE LOVE TO YOU"
- MARISSA MILLER - RADAR MAGAZINE
- HOT BRAZILIAN SAND SCULPTURES ! ! !
- What is The NILES LESH Project ???
- FINALLY - THE DONUT BACON EGG BURGER !
- BROOKE "THE HULKSTRESS" HOGAN - MAXIM -JULY
- WORLDS BEST PIG TATOOS ???
- ALI LARTER - BIKINILICIOUS - ALLURE MAGAZINE
- AYVEQ - BROOKLYN'S FAMOUS MASTRUBATING WALRUS - R ...
- GIANT PENIS DISTURBS GRADUATION CEREMONY ?
- VERNE TROYER'S - $20 MILLION "MINI ME" SEX TAPE
- THE ULTIMATE HOME THEATRE SYSTEM ! ! !
- AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL - NEW JERSEY ?
- GEORGE CARLIN - WHAT'S MY LINE - 1969
- HOLLYWOOD SMOKIEST STARS !
- MATT DAMON - REGULAR GUY LOOK ???
- FINALLY - A "MINI -ME" SEX TAPE ???
- 2 WORDS - WACKY PACKAGES ! ! !
- KRISTEN BELL - Works out her amazing ass !
- SHARON STONE at the beach - Chi magazine
- Alicia Silverstone: My dogs don't fart because the...
- The MOASTER - Worlds highest popping toaster !
- MIRANDA KERR - TECHNICALLY TOPLESS
- ROB ZOMBIES - TYRANNASAURUS REX
- 28 DAYS "SLATER" ???
- THE BABES OF "LOST"
- SPENCER TUNICK - DUBLIN SHOOT
- STRANGE HOLIDAYS - Antzar Eguna (Goose Day)
- GEORGE CARLIN 1937 - 2008
- TOM CRUISE CONTROLLED BY ALIENS ???
- JIM DENEVAN - WORLDS LARGEST DRAWING !
- GLAMOUR FREE CELEBRITY PHOTOS ???
- The aroused manhood of the Cerne Abbas giant is va...
- CHINESE OLYMPIC CUISINE INCLUDES "Chicken without ...
- BAISERE - WOMEN
- FINALLY - AMBIDEXTRIOUS PITCHER vs SWITCH HITTER
- MAN TRIES TO ROB STORE WITH PALM TREE ?
- THE BEER BELLY AND THE WINE RACK ???
- ARE YOU TOUGH ENOUGH TO BE DUMB ???
- KATE MOSS - DARIA WERBOWY - LARA STONE - NUDE - W ...
- WHEN STEVE GUTTENBERG ATTACKS ???
- FINALLY - AN 800 POUND EMENA MONUMENT !!!
- GISELE BUNDCHEN - TOPLESS BOTTOMLESS - GQ
- FINALLY - A ROBOTIC GIRLFRIEND FOR $175 ! ! !
- JESSICA SIMPSON LOVES HER MEAT ! ! !
- TALAN "T- MAN LATZ" 8 YEAR OLD BLUES MAN !
- FINALLY - HIGH HEELED BABY SHOES ???
- AUSTRIAN TOPLESS WOMEN TOP GERMAN TOPLESS WOMEN 10...
- NEW OLYMPIC BIKINI RECORD SET ! ! !
- NSFW - BEST CENSORED VIDEO EVER ???
- VICTORIA BECKHAM - POSH PARIS POSE - ELLE
- KIM AND KOURTNEY KARDASHIAN - BIKINI DIP
- HENRY NICHOLAS - PARTY LIKE A BILLIONAIRE 101
- HAPPY FATHER'S DAY ! ! !
- SOPHIA LOREN - CLASSICA ITALIANA
- PRINCESS EUGENIE'S NAKED ROMP ?
- THE INCREDIBLE HULK - NEW TRAILER
- ZOOIE DESCHANEL - "THE HAPPENING" PREMIER
- BIG ASS HOLE GALLERY ?
- MIENFOKS - MISCELLANIA FILES
- GUMMY LIGHTHOUSES ???
- THE STRANGE AND TWISTED WORLD OF THE FASHION FOOD ...
- WHY POLISH TABLOIDS ARE THE BEST ???
- CHARLIZE THERON - BRITISH GQ - JULY 2008
- CELEBRITY POTHEDZ !
- MR PINK'S TIPPING ETIQUETTE
- CAROLINE TRENTINI - CLASSE
- FINALLY - A FRAMED AUTOGRAPHED SOUP NAZI PHOTO !
- ISABELLA FONTANA - SPORTY ON THE BEACH
- SO, YOU HAD A BAD DAY ???
- HOW HOT HAS IT BEEN LATELY ?
- BORIS THE BULL MASTIFF IS SO LARGE HE CAN BE SEEN ...
- LINDA EVANGELISTA - STEVEN MEISEL - DUCHESS
- "BIGGER STRONGER FASTER" TRAILER
- BEHATI PRINSLOO - VICTORIA'S SECRET- PINK
- GERALDO RIVERA - GETS MEDICALLY STONED ?
- NUTS MAGAZINE 100 TOP TOPLESS BABES
- COHEN BROTHERS "BURN AFTER READING" TRAILER
- ALESSANDRA AMBROSIO - OCEAN DRIVE ESPANOL & BRAZIL...
- YES,...ITS A FAKE
- JOSH HAMILTON - CRACKHEAD TO TRIPLECROWN THREAT
- WILLIAM ALAN SHATNER - A RETROSPECTIVE
- QUEEN GREETED BY "FACE PULLING" CHAMP ?
- MAKING POPCORN WITH A CELLPHONE ???
- PHOTOSHOP EXTREME REALISM ???
- JIM McKAY - Veteran sportscaster dies at 87
- MIENFOKS T - SHIRT CONTEST - KINGPIN
- SOPHIE MARCEAU - BLACK AND WHITES
- MMM...FABULOUS ?
- "DERRIE - AIR" - AIRLINE CHARGES BY THE POUND ???
- MAXI MOUNDS WEIGHS IN ON THE CHRISTINA SHOW
- PIMP MY POODLE ???
- GREATEST COMICBOOK CELEBRITY CAMEOS
- SPIDERMEN TWO FOR ONE DEAL IN NYC ! ! !
- YVES SAINT LAURENT (AUG 1936 - JUNE 2008)
- BILLWARD - CARTOONIST EXTRORDINARE
- MICROSOFT DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGMENT
- MYSTERY OF LEVITATION SOLVED ???
- ▼ June (113)