Thursday, June 5, 2008
Levitation has been elevated from being pure science fiction to science fact, according to a study reported today by physicists.
Beijing saleswoman demonstrates toy which levitates by magnetic force; Physicists have 'solved' mystery of levitation
In theory the discovery could be used to levitate a person
In earlier work the same team of theoretical physicists showed that invisibility cloaks are feasible.
Now, in another report that sounds like it comes out of the pages of a Harry Potter book, the University of St Andrews team has created an 'incredible levitation effects’ by engineering the force of nature which normally causes objects to stick together.
Professor Ulf Leonhardt and Dr Thomas Philbin, from the University of St Andrews in Scotland, have worked out a way of reversing this pheneomenon, known as the Casimir force, so that it repels instead of attracts.
Their discovery could ultimately lead to frictionless micro-machines with moving parts that levitate But they say that, in principle at least, the same effect could be used to levitate bigger objects too, even a person.
The Casimir force is a consequence of quantum mechanics, the theory that describes the world of atoms and subatomic particles that is not only the most successful theory of physics but also the most baffling.
The force is due to neither electrical charge or gravity, for example, but the fluctuations in all-pervasive energy fields in the intervening empty space between the objects and is one reason atoms stick together, also explaining a “dry glue” effect that enables a gecko to walk across a ceiling.
Now, using a special lens of a kind that has already been built, Prof Ulf Leonhardt and Dr Thomas Philbin report in the New Journal of Physics they can engineer the Casimir force to repel, rather than attact.
Because the Casimir force causes problems for nanotechnologists, who are trying to build electrical circuits and tiny mechanical devices on silicon chips, among other things, the team believes the feat could initially be used to stop tiny objects from sticking to each other.
Prof Leonhardt explained, “The Casimir force is the ultimate cause of friction in the nano-world, in particular in some microelectromechanical systems.
Such systems already play an important role - for example tiny mechanical devices which triggers a car airbag to inflate or those which power tiny 'lab on chip’ devices used for drugs testing or chemical analysis.
Micro or nano machines could run smoother and with less or no friction at all if one can manipulate the force.” Though it is possible to levitate objects as big as humans, scientists are a long way off developing the technology for such feats, said Dr Philbin.
The practicalities of designing the lens to do this are daunting but not impossible and levitation “could happen over quite a distance”.
Prof Leonhardt leads one of four teams - three of them in Britain - to have put forward a theory in a peer-reviewed journal to achieve invisibility by making light waves flow around an object - just as a river flows undisturbed around a smooth rock.
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
Wow Paulina still very perky at 44 ! Read about Paulas interesting childhood escaping the iron curtain THE NILES LESH PROJECT - ALL...
Eating fresh watermelon could help men pep up their love lives, scientists said yesterday. The fruit has a similar effect to taking Viagra, ...
Where: Lekeitio, in the Basque region of Spain. What: Antzar Eguna or "Goose Day" has its roots in at least 350 years of Spanish i...
Yes ALL of these women are over 50 years old, sure some of them have had some work, but I mean come on a few are grand mothers (GMILFS)!, a...
OSBORN COX? - NOW THAT IS A GREAT NAME !!!
Larry Flynt, the wheelchair bound self-proclaimed "smut peddler" and "1st Amendment Crusader" has published photos of Na...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- LAURA VANDERVOORT - ON THE SET - IN TO THE BLUE
- ONLY IN NEW YORK ???
- KATE MOSS "I JUST WANNA MAKE LOVE TO YOU"
- MARISSA MILLER - RADAR MAGAZINE
- HOT BRAZILIAN SAND SCULPTURES ! ! !
- What is The NILES LESH Project ???
- FINALLY - THE DONUT BACON EGG BURGER !
- BROOKE "THE HULKSTRESS" HOGAN - MAXIM -JULY
- WORLDS BEST PIG TATOOS ???
- ALI LARTER - BIKINILICIOUS - ALLURE MAGAZINE
- AYVEQ - BROOKLYN'S FAMOUS MASTRUBATING WALRUS - R ...
- GIANT PENIS DISTURBS GRADUATION CEREMONY ?
- VERNE TROYER'S - $20 MILLION "MINI ME" SEX TAPE
- THE ULTIMATE HOME THEATRE SYSTEM ! ! !
- AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL - NEW JERSEY ?
- GEORGE CARLIN - WHAT'S MY LINE - 1969
- HOLLYWOOD SMOKIEST STARS !
- MATT DAMON - REGULAR GUY LOOK ???
- FINALLY - A "MINI -ME" SEX TAPE ???
- 2 WORDS - WACKY PACKAGES ! ! !
- KRISTEN BELL - Works out her amazing ass !
- SHARON STONE at the beach - Chi magazine
- Alicia Silverstone: My dogs don't fart because the...
- The MOASTER - Worlds highest popping toaster !
- MIRANDA KERR - TECHNICALLY TOPLESS
- ROB ZOMBIES - TYRANNASAURUS REX
- 28 DAYS "SLATER" ???
- THE BABES OF "LOST"
- SPENCER TUNICK - DUBLIN SHOOT
- STRANGE HOLIDAYS - Antzar Eguna (Goose Day)
- GEORGE CARLIN 1937 - 2008
- TOM CRUISE CONTROLLED BY ALIENS ???
- JIM DENEVAN - WORLDS LARGEST DRAWING !
- GLAMOUR FREE CELEBRITY PHOTOS ???
- The aroused manhood of the Cerne Abbas giant is va...
- CHINESE OLYMPIC CUISINE INCLUDES "Chicken without ...
- BAISERE - WOMEN
- FINALLY - AMBIDEXTRIOUS PITCHER vs SWITCH HITTER
- MAN TRIES TO ROB STORE WITH PALM TREE ?
- THE BEER BELLY AND THE WINE RACK ???
- ARE YOU TOUGH ENOUGH TO BE DUMB ???
- KATE MOSS - DARIA WERBOWY - LARA STONE - NUDE - W ...
- WHEN STEVE GUTTENBERG ATTACKS ???
- FINALLY - AN 800 POUND EMENA MONUMENT !!!
- GISELE BUNDCHEN - TOPLESS BOTTOMLESS - GQ
- FINALLY - A ROBOTIC GIRLFRIEND FOR $175 ! ! !
- JESSICA SIMPSON LOVES HER MEAT ! ! !
- TALAN "T- MAN LATZ" 8 YEAR OLD BLUES MAN !
- FINALLY - HIGH HEELED BABY SHOES ???
- AUSTRIAN TOPLESS WOMEN TOP GERMAN TOPLESS WOMEN 10...
- NEW OLYMPIC BIKINI RECORD SET ! ! !
- NSFW - BEST CENSORED VIDEO EVER ???
- VICTORIA BECKHAM - POSH PARIS POSE - ELLE
- KIM AND KOURTNEY KARDASHIAN - BIKINI DIP
- HENRY NICHOLAS - PARTY LIKE A BILLIONAIRE 101
- HAPPY FATHER'S DAY ! ! !
- SOPHIA LOREN - CLASSICA ITALIANA
- PRINCESS EUGENIE'S NAKED ROMP ?
- THE INCREDIBLE HULK - NEW TRAILER
- ZOOIE DESCHANEL - "THE HAPPENING" PREMIER
- BIG ASS HOLE GALLERY ?
- MIENFOKS - MISCELLANIA FILES
- GUMMY LIGHTHOUSES ???
- THE STRANGE AND TWISTED WORLD OF THE FASHION FOOD ...
- WHY POLISH TABLOIDS ARE THE BEST ???
- CHARLIZE THERON - BRITISH GQ - JULY 2008
- CELEBRITY POTHEDZ !
- MR PINK'S TIPPING ETIQUETTE
- CAROLINE TRENTINI - CLASSE
- FINALLY - A FRAMED AUTOGRAPHED SOUP NAZI PHOTO !
- ISABELLA FONTANA - SPORTY ON THE BEACH
- SO, YOU HAD A BAD DAY ???
- HOW HOT HAS IT BEEN LATELY ?
- BORIS THE BULL MASTIFF IS SO LARGE HE CAN BE SEEN ...
- LINDA EVANGELISTA - STEVEN MEISEL - DUCHESS
- "BIGGER STRONGER FASTER" TRAILER
- BEHATI PRINSLOO - VICTORIA'S SECRET- PINK
- GERALDO RIVERA - GETS MEDICALLY STONED ?
- NUTS MAGAZINE 100 TOP TOPLESS BABES
- COHEN BROTHERS "BURN AFTER READING" TRAILER
- ALESSANDRA AMBROSIO - OCEAN DRIVE ESPANOL & BRAZIL...
- YES,...ITS A FAKE
- JOSH HAMILTON - CRACKHEAD TO TRIPLECROWN THREAT
- WILLIAM ALAN SHATNER - A RETROSPECTIVE
- QUEEN GREETED BY "FACE PULLING" CHAMP ?
- MAKING POPCORN WITH A CELLPHONE ???
- PHOTOSHOP EXTREME REALISM ???
- JIM McKAY - Veteran sportscaster dies at 87
- MIENFOKS T - SHIRT CONTEST - KINGPIN
- SOPHIE MARCEAU - BLACK AND WHITES
- MMM...FABULOUS ?
- "DERRIE - AIR" - AIRLINE CHARGES BY THE POUND ???
- MAXI MOUNDS WEIGHS IN ON THE CHRISTINA SHOW
- PIMP MY POODLE ???
- GREATEST COMICBOOK CELEBRITY CAMEOS
- SPIDERMEN TWO FOR ONE DEAL IN NYC ! ! !
- YVES SAINT LAURENT (AUG 1936 - JUNE 2008)
- BILLWARD - CARTOONIST EXTRORDINARE
- MICROSOFT DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGMENT
- MYSTERY OF LEVITATION SOLVED ???
- ▼ June (113)