Monday, July 28, 2008
LONDON (Reuters) - Starting on Saturday, Mick Jagger will be entitled to a basic state pension of just under $180 a week.
But he will have to wait another five years for free roof insulation -- that benefit is only available to Britons over the age of 70.
The lead singer of British rock band the Rolling Stones turns 65 on Saturday, making him an old-age pensioner, albeit in name only.
Jagger continues to turn back the clock with age-defying live performances, recently impressing movie audiences with his energetic strutting and pouting captured by director Martin Scorsese in the 2008 rock documentary "Shine a Light."
Although his off-stage antics no longer match the rock 'n' roll excess of fellow Stone Ron Wood, recently admitted to rehab for a drinking problem, Jagger is clearly not about to rest on his laurels and tend to the garden.
He is increasingly involved in film production, acting as executive producer on "Shine a Light" and backing two other feature films since then. Rumors of a new Rolling Stones album and world tour also regularly surface in the news.
Should Jagger's estimated 225 million pound ($450 million) fortune, plus pension, prove insufficient, another tour would be a sure way of helping make ends meet.
The Rolling Stones' "A Bigger Bang" tour became the most successful of all time, grossing more than $558 million from 2005 to 2007, according to Stones tour producer Michael Cohl.
Michael Philip Jagger was born in Dartford, in the south of England, on July 26, 1943, the son of a school teacher and a hairdresser.
In the early 1960s, he and guitarist Keith Richards formed the Rolling Stones, and as lead singer Jagger went on to become one of rock 'n' roll's most famous frontmen, churning out a string of classic hits from "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash" to "Ruby Tuesday" and "Angie."
The band is estimated to have sold more than 200 million albums worldwide and regularly ranks at or near the top of lists of the most influential acts in pop music history.
Jagger has had a string of high-profile romantic affairs, including relationships with Marianne Faithfull and Carla Bruni, now married to French President Nicolas Sarkozy.
He was married twice, to Nicaraguan beauty Bianca Perez Macias in 1971 and Texas fashion model Jerry Hall in 1990, whom he divorced in 1999. He has seven children and is a grandfather.
The rock lothario was knighted at Buckingham Palace in 2003, but he denied suggestions he had sold out to the British establishment against which he had railed for so long.
"I don't really think the establishment as we know it exists any more," he said at the time.
Jagger is likely to face renewed questions about his future and that of his band now that he has reached retirement age, but he should be used to it.
More than 45 years ago he was asked how long he could keep going with the Rolling Stones, and in a separate interview, his questioner said: "Can you picture yourself at the age of 60 doing what you're doing now?"
"Yeah, easily. Yeh," he replied.
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
SHE IS A POTENTIAL F D I L F !!! Meghan McCain is a 23-year-old, socially liberal John Kerry voter who loves Superbad, Dita von Teese, Bud L...
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
Wow Paulina still very perky at 44 ! Read about Paulas interesting childhood escaping the iron curtain THE NILES LESH PROJECT - ALL...
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any po...
View the Niles Lesh - ADRIANA LIMA Photo Collection ! See ET's video of ADRIANA LIMA flying in the V1 JETS SEAPLANE
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- 50 SEXIEST BLONDES - Nuts Magazine
- ADRIANA LIMA - Flaunts Her BioFit Bra !
- PRINCESS CHUNK - Takes a Bite of the Big Apple
- Shigeo Tokuda - Japan's 73 year old Porn Star !
- Lottery Winner's New "Girlfriend" Busted !
- Finally - The Marvin the Martian Movie !
- I am So a Ninja !
- GONZO - The Life & Work of Hunter S Thompson
- Unfortunate Engagement Announcements ?
- The Beer Guzzling Tree Shrew ?
- TV Host Trips Balls on National TV in 1961 !
- The Lightning Gallery
- MICK JAGGER AT 65 COLLECTS $180 A WEEK !
- Swimming Around the World !
- ELLEN D- WORKS THE HAWAIIAN CHAIR !
- Jupiter's Big Red Spot Swallows the Competition
- GRAFFITI 2.0 - HIGH TECH TAGS !
- Best Ever Nip Slips - ZOO magazine
- Mienfoks Photo Caption Contest 2
- LUCY PINDER - "Fancy a Lick" Loaded Magazine
- Not So Famous but Still Sexy Girl Gallery
- ADRIANA LIMA - 2008 ESPY Awards Arrivals
- The Moroccan Tree Goats ?
- MISCHA BARTON - Topless - Nylon Magazine
- Darkside of Peru's Guinea Pig Festival ???
- Now you can eat ELTON JOHN's Yellow Brickle !
- ANNA KORNIKOVA - Busty @ Miami Fashion Show
- BATMAN's Dark Knight Busted !
- Mienfoks invades Hooters in Atlantic City !
- The Most Dominant Team in Sports !
- Do You Have Change for a 100 Billion ?
- Best of MYSPACE - Super Hero Costumes
- Top Ten Things Overheard in line to see Batman
- Naughty By Nature !
- Mienfoks - Sunday Edition
- The Dark Knight Breaks Records $$$
- ROSARIO DAWSON - Hoses off her real curves !
- SALMA HAYEK - Engagement is Over !
- SEXIEST SUMMER EVER - Front Magazine
- SUPERMAN vs SPIDERMAN
- La bellissima Elisabetta Canalis
- Mienfoks - Randomly Sexy Shots
- GISELE BUNDCHEN "V Magazine" Fall 2008 - Mario Tes...
- DONKEY PUNCH - The Movie ???
- Mienfoks Caption Contest
- IRAN - Now in Possesion of Adobe Photoshop ?
- RAMPAGE JACKSON - The Perfect Getaway ?
- MEGAN FOX - Rolling Stone Magazine - Out takes
- Election Update - The "No Values" Voters ?
- EVA MENDEZ - Nude - JACK Magazine(Italy)
- EVA LONGORIA - Finds a Fire Hydrant Friend
- MARLA MAPLES - Still Turning Heads !
- I love the Beach !
- Painfully Honest Tatoos
- TEMPEST STORM - 80 year old stripper !
- Love is getting married at THE WAFFLE HOUSE
- Chris Jordan's American Consumption Art - 32,000 B...
- Katrina Hodge "Combat Barbie" Miss England Finals
- Random Bizzare Images
- ZOO Magazine - World's Best Boob Jobs !
- CHRISTINA RICCI - Green Eyes
- EBAY Spoofs - Monkey's Paw - 3 wishes included !
- Improv Everywhere - Human Mirror !
- RANDOM PHOTOS FROM THE BLOGOSPHERE !
- Elyse Umemoto"Miss Washington 2007" Extremely Cand...
- Mr Methane to blow away audiences !
- KEELEY HAZELL - NUDE- FRENCH MAXIM
- Want the Viagra effect - Eat Watermelon ???
- BRUCE WILLIS - What Just Happened "The Beard"
- MARISSA MILLER - GQ Magazine - August 2008
- White Bengal Tiger Cubs !
- STEVE-O "My Brain is F**ked Up" !
- ANA BEATRIZ BARROS - Bella di Calda Fumare - Itali...
- DARTH VADER - Cheats at golf ???
- Playmates on Family Feud !
- MISS UNIVERSE CONTESTANTS IN VIETNAM
- MATTEL'S HOTWHEELS WORTH MORE THAN GENERAL MOTORS ...
- Freedom Flashes Its Middle Finger in New Jersey !!...
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA !
- HOW TO BE A RESPONSIBLE AMERICAN CITIZEN
- LARRY "BOZO" HARMON ( 1925 - 2008 ) R I P
- THING 2 DO IN NYC - CRAWL INSIDE EDDIE MURPHYS HEA...
- CLAWS FOR CONCERN - 17 LB MONSTER CRAB !
- BEACH VOLLEY BALLS BEST BUTTS !
- Woman Selling Herself is Not a Whore ???
- LIFE'S MOST AWKWARD COMFORTS ?
- THE MILEY CYRUS USAGE CRISIS ?
- ▼ July (87)