I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE PROUD TO BE A NEW JERSYIAN !
BELMAR, N.J. - After battling rowdy renters and out-of-control keggers for decades, this Jersey shore party town has finally decided to lighten up a little.
Belmar, sometimes called "Fort Lauderdale North" for its reputation as a raucous party enclave, has scrapped laws against giving the finger and requiring beer kegs to be registered. The town's mayor said the rules were difficult to enforce.
"I'm not sure anyone even knew that making obscene gestures was illegal," Mayor Ken Pringle said. "Right after we send out our tax bills, I tend to see a few."
The repeals come as the borough has clearly restored some of the quality of life that was routinely shattered by revelers in the 1980s and 90s.
"People that have a hard time obeying our strict rules seem to have gone to other beach towns where the rules are not as tough," he said. "Most of the people who are renting here who are deciding they can behave will not have a problem."
Belmar, on the central Jersey coast about 10 minutes south of Asbury Park, has long been a favorite spot for young people looking for summer fun. The town has 7,000 year-round residents, but the population swells to 60,000 after Memorial Day.
In 1990, there were over 1,200 summer rental units here; now there are just over 300. Lots that once held ramshackle party huts now boast $800,000 homes whose residents are not shy about calling the police to complain about noise.
Belmar has a slew of strict regulations for summer renters that include limits on how many people can cram into one building and when they can put their trash out at the curb. The town also has a "zero tolerance" policy for noise violations, and even leaving empty bottles or beer cups on the porch overnight.
One rule that's no longer on the books related to raising one's middle finger, or the many variants thereof. However objectionable it might be to some people, such a gesture is constitutionally protected free speech, said Pringle, an attorney.
He said the borough was contacted by civil libertarians who questioned the legality of several municipal ordinances.
The ban on "obscene gestures," which never spelled out exactly what was and was not covered, was overly subjective, Pringle agreed. No one can recall anyone being prosecuted for violating it. Another law prohibiting people from loitering in alleyways also was axed.
And a beer keg tagging law, which Belmar enacted last year with great fanfare, withered and died after the state Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control said a handful of similar local laws enacted around the state requiring beer kegs to have the name, address and phone number of the person renting them was unconstitutional.
In summer rentals near the Belmar beach, the repeals are being hailed by the party crowd, some of whom consider the right to raise their middle finger in public a newly won freedom to cherish on Independence Day.
"I'm giving people the finger if it's legal, absolutely," laughed Carlos Padilla, a 23-year-old from Dumont wearing a sleeveless white T-shirt and gold chain. He's renting a house for the season with a bunch of pals — all of whom were drinking beer from red plastic cups and listening to rap music on the front porch one night this week.
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
Wow Paulina still very perky at 44 ! Read about Paulas interesting childhood escaping the iron curtain THE NILES LESH PROJECT - ALL...
Eating fresh watermelon could help men pep up their love lives, scientists said yesterday. The fruit has a similar effect to taking Viagra, ...
Where: Lekeitio, in the Basque region of Spain. What: Antzar Eguna or "Goose Day" has its roots in at least 350 years of Spanish i...
Yes ALL of these women are over 50 years old, sure some of them have had some work, but I mean come on a few are grand mothers (GMILFS)!, a...
OSBORN COX? - NOW THAT IS A GREAT NAME !!!
Larry Flynt, the wheelchair bound self-proclaimed "smut peddler" and "1st Amendment Crusader" has published photos of Na...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- 50 SEXIEST BLONDES - Nuts Magazine
- ADRIANA LIMA - Flaunts Her BioFit Bra !
- PRINCESS CHUNK - Takes a Bite of the Big Apple
- Shigeo Tokuda - Japan's 73 year old Porn Star !
- Lottery Winner's New "Girlfriend" Busted !
- Finally - The Marvin the Martian Movie !
- I am So a Ninja !
- GONZO - The Life & Work of Hunter S Thompson
- Unfortunate Engagement Announcements ?
- The Beer Guzzling Tree Shrew ?
- TV Host Trips Balls on National TV in 1961 !
- The Lightning Gallery
- MICK JAGGER AT 65 COLLECTS $180 A WEEK !
- Swimming Around the World !
- ELLEN D- WORKS THE HAWAIIAN CHAIR !
- Jupiter's Big Red Spot Swallows the Competition
- GRAFFITI 2.0 - HIGH TECH TAGS !
- Best Ever Nip Slips - ZOO magazine
- Mienfoks Photo Caption Contest 2
- LUCY PINDER - "Fancy a Lick" Loaded Magazine
- Not So Famous but Still Sexy Girl Gallery
- ADRIANA LIMA - 2008 ESPY Awards Arrivals
- The Moroccan Tree Goats ?
- MISCHA BARTON - Topless - Nylon Magazine
- Darkside of Peru's Guinea Pig Festival ???
- Now you can eat ELTON JOHN's Yellow Brickle !
- ANNA KORNIKOVA - Busty @ Miami Fashion Show
- BATMAN's Dark Knight Busted !
- Mienfoks invades Hooters in Atlantic City !
- The Most Dominant Team in Sports !
- Do You Have Change for a 100 Billion ?
- Best of MYSPACE - Super Hero Costumes
- Top Ten Things Overheard in line to see Batman
- Naughty By Nature !
- Mienfoks - Sunday Edition
- The Dark Knight Breaks Records $$$
- ROSARIO DAWSON - Hoses off her real curves !
- SALMA HAYEK - Engagement is Over !
- SEXIEST SUMMER EVER - Front Magazine
- SUPERMAN vs SPIDERMAN
- La bellissima Elisabetta Canalis
- Mienfoks - Randomly Sexy Shots
- GISELE BUNDCHEN "V Magazine" Fall 2008 - Mario Tes...
- DONKEY PUNCH - The Movie ???
- Mienfoks Caption Contest
- IRAN - Now in Possesion of Adobe Photoshop ?
- RAMPAGE JACKSON - The Perfect Getaway ?
- MEGAN FOX - Rolling Stone Magazine - Out takes
- Election Update - The "No Values" Voters ?
- EVA MENDEZ - Nude - JACK Magazine(Italy)
- EVA LONGORIA - Finds a Fire Hydrant Friend
- MARLA MAPLES - Still Turning Heads !
- I love the Beach !
- Painfully Honest Tatoos
- TEMPEST STORM - 80 year old stripper !
- Love is getting married at THE WAFFLE HOUSE
- Chris Jordan's American Consumption Art - 32,000 B...
- Katrina Hodge "Combat Barbie" Miss England Finals
- Random Bizzare Images
- ZOO Magazine - World's Best Boob Jobs !
- CHRISTINA RICCI - Green Eyes
- EBAY Spoofs - Monkey's Paw - 3 wishes included !
- Improv Everywhere - Human Mirror !
- RANDOM PHOTOS FROM THE BLOGOSPHERE !
- Elyse Umemoto"Miss Washington 2007" Extremely Cand...
- Mr Methane to blow away audiences !
- KEELEY HAZELL - NUDE- FRENCH MAXIM
- Want the Viagra effect - Eat Watermelon ???
- BRUCE WILLIS - What Just Happened "The Beard"
- MARISSA MILLER - GQ Magazine - August 2008
- White Bengal Tiger Cubs !
- STEVE-O "My Brain is F**ked Up" !
- ANA BEATRIZ BARROS - Bella di Calda Fumare - Itali...
- DARTH VADER - Cheats at golf ???
- Playmates on Family Feud !
- MISS UNIVERSE CONTESTANTS IN VIETNAM
- MATTEL'S HOTWHEELS WORTH MORE THAN GENERAL MOTORS ...
- Freedom Flashes Its Middle Finger in New Jersey !!...
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA !
- HOW TO BE A RESPONSIBLE AMERICAN CITIZEN
- LARRY "BOZO" HARMON ( 1925 - 2008 ) R I P
- THING 2 DO IN NYC - CRAWL INSIDE EDDIE MURPHYS HEA...
- CLAWS FOR CONCERN - 17 LB MONSTER CRAB !
- BEACH VOLLEY BALLS BEST BUTTS !
- Woman Selling Herself is Not a Whore ???
- LIFE'S MOST AWKWARD COMFORTS ?
- THE MILEY CYRUS USAGE CRISIS ?
- ▼ July (87)