Sunday, July 20, 2008
$18.5 million in gross revenue at its 12 a.m. opening screenings early Friday morning at 3,040 screens, the most ever for midnight shows." Gawker laments about the movie taking the title from 2005's Star Wars, Episode III: The Revenge of the Sith, which previously held it for racking up $16.9 million at 2,915 screens. Meanwhile, the single-day box office record previously held by Spider-Man 3 was also shattered: The Dark Knight took in $66.4 million on opening day (to Spidey's $59.8 million).
TOP ONE DAY GROSSES OF ALL TIME
At a press/industry screening of The Dark Knight at the Lincoln Square IMAX last night, the line was already halfway down 68th Street an hour before showtime – and these are the overprivileged industry slobs. It’s going to be pandemonium Friday once the rabid fanboys take over. But you already knew that; the question of the hour is, “Does it live up to the hype?” Well, considering that the anticipation level rivals that of Evangelical zealots craving the second coming, or geeks clamoring for the iPhone 3G, it’s no small achievement that The Dark Knight does – periodically – manage to meet our insane expectations.
Even viewed in all its IMAX glory, there’s no escaping the fact that the storyline is, in broad strokes, that of a rather formulaic superhero action flick. A maniac brings a depraved city to its knees, all hope is lost, the hero risks becoming the villain to save the day, etc. Director Christopher Nolan executes it all with a style that’s at turns visually breathtaking and regrettably murky, but there are still a few great surprises, and the mood is deliciously macabre, thanks in no small part to Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard’s phenomenally tense score, which often relies on just a few strings slowly ascending the scale like tarantulas crawling up the back of your neck.
Everything’s fine and good – a somewhat ponderous but solid B plus – until Mr. Heath Ledger enters the frame. It's true; he’s astonishing as Joker, hunched over and shambling, with a distressingly high voice that’s recorded in such a way that it sounds as if the microphone’s in his mouth. Ledger’s work here would still have stood out as spellbinding were he alive, but his untimely death changes the equation. It’s impossible to watch his riveting performance here without feeling some degree of sadness, which actually ends up working in The Dark Knight’s favor by investing the film’s fantastical milieu with a much-needed human element. When it's Ledger's movie, he carries it beyond the hype into something extraordinary.
3PLT: Saturday Morning Alive Show #1 - All Rights Reserved 2010 - The Niles Lesh Project Follow NILES LESH / MIENFOKS on TWITTER !
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
Wow Paulina still very perky at 44 ! Read about Paulas interesting childhood escaping the iron curtain THE NILES LESH PROJECT - ALL...
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
SHE IS A POTENTIAL F D I L F !!! Meghan McCain is a 23-year-old, socially liberal John Kerry voter who loves Superbad, Dita von Teese, Bud L...
Chloe Marshall has recently won the Miss Surrey 2008 beauty pageant. She will now advance to the Miss England contest, which is open to fema...
SADLY ITS ON IN THE UK ONLY U ndressing the nation: The style gurus strip down to their bras ITV has been bombarded with complaints after a...
Donald Trump, a co-owner of “Miss USA”, “Miss Universe” and “Miss Teen USA” pageants, has come up with a new reality TV show which will take...
Emily Sander, missing 18 year old college student from El Dorado, Kansas is believed to be the victim of foul play. Her friends have shared ...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- 50 SEXIEST BLONDES - Nuts Magazine
- ADRIANA LIMA - Flaunts Her BioFit Bra !
- PRINCESS CHUNK - Takes a Bite of the Big Apple
- Shigeo Tokuda - Japan's 73 year old Porn Star !
- Lottery Winner's New "Girlfriend" Busted !
- Finally - The Marvin the Martian Movie !
- I am So a Ninja !
- GONZO - The Life & Work of Hunter S Thompson
- Unfortunate Engagement Announcements ?
- The Beer Guzzling Tree Shrew ?
- TV Host Trips Balls on National TV in 1961 !
- The Lightning Gallery
- MICK JAGGER AT 65 COLLECTS $180 A WEEK !
- Swimming Around the World !
- ELLEN D- WORKS THE HAWAIIAN CHAIR !
- Jupiter's Big Red Spot Swallows the Competition
- GRAFFITI 2.0 - HIGH TECH TAGS !
- Best Ever Nip Slips - ZOO magazine
- Mienfoks Photo Caption Contest 2
- LUCY PINDER - "Fancy a Lick" Loaded Magazine
- Not So Famous but Still Sexy Girl Gallery
- ADRIANA LIMA - 2008 ESPY Awards Arrivals
- The Moroccan Tree Goats ?
- MISCHA BARTON - Topless - Nylon Magazine
- Darkside of Peru's Guinea Pig Festival ???
- Now you can eat ELTON JOHN's Yellow Brickle !
- ANNA KORNIKOVA - Busty @ Miami Fashion Show
- BATMAN's Dark Knight Busted !
- Mienfoks invades Hooters in Atlantic City !
- The Most Dominant Team in Sports !
- Do You Have Change for a 100 Billion ?
- Best of MYSPACE - Super Hero Costumes
- Top Ten Things Overheard in line to see Batman
- Naughty By Nature !
- Mienfoks - Sunday Edition
- The Dark Knight Breaks Records $$$
- ROSARIO DAWSON - Hoses off her real curves !
- SALMA HAYEK - Engagement is Over !
- SEXIEST SUMMER EVER - Front Magazine
- SUPERMAN vs SPIDERMAN
- La bellissima Elisabetta Canalis
- Mienfoks - Randomly Sexy Shots
- GISELE BUNDCHEN "V Magazine" Fall 2008 - Mario Tes...
- DONKEY PUNCH - The Movie ???
- Mienfoks Caption Contest
- IRAN - Now in Possesion of Adobe Photoshop ?
- RAMPAGE JACKSON - The Perfect Getaway ?
- MEGAN FOX - Rolling Stone Magazine - Out takes
- Election Update - The "No Values" Voters ?
- EVA MENDEZ - Nude - JACK Magazine(Italy)
- EVA LONGORIA - Finds a Fire Hydrant Friend
- MARLA MAPLES - Still Turning Heads !
- I love the Beach !
- Painfully Honest Tatoos
- TEMPEST STORM - 80 year old stripper !
- Love is getting married at THE WAFFLE HOUSE
- Chris Jordan's American Consumption Art - 32,000 B...
- Katrina Hodge "Combat Barbie" Miss England Finals
- Random Bizzare Images
- ZOO Magazine - World's Best Boob Jobs !
- CHRISTINA RICCI - Green Eyes
- EBAY Spoofs - Monkey's Paw - 3 wishes included !
- Improv Everywhere - Human Mirror !
- RANDOM PHOTOS FROM THE BLOGOSPHERE !
- Elyse Umemoto"Miss Washington 2007" Extremely Cand...
- Mr Methane to blow away audiences !
- KEELEY HAZELL - NUDE- FRENCH MAXIM
- Want the Viagra effect - Eat Watermelon ???
- BRUCE WILLIS - What Just Happened "The Beard"
- MARISSA MILLER - GQ Magazine - August 2008
- White Bengal Tiger Cubs !
- STEVE-O "My Brain is F**ked Up" !
- ANA BEATRIZ BARROS - Bella di Calda Fumare - Itali...
- DARTH VADER - Cheats at golf ???
- Playmates on Family Feud !
- MISS UNIVERSE CONTESTANTS IN VIETNAM
- MATTEL'S HOTWHEELS WORTH MORE THAN GENERAL MOTORS ...
- Freedom Flashes Its Middle Finger in New Jersey !!...
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA !
- HOW TO BE A RESPONSIBLE AMERICAN CITIZEN
- LARRY "BOZO" HARMON ( 1925 - 2008 ) R I P
- THING 2 DO IN NYC - CRAWL INSIDE EDDIE MURPHYS HEA...
- CLAWS FOR CONCERN - 17 LB MONSTER CRAB !
- BEACH VOLLEY BALLS BEST BUTTS !
- Woman Selling Herself is Not a Whore ???
- LIFE'S MOST AWKWARD COMFORTS ?
- THE MILEY CYRUS USAGE CRISIS ?
- ▼ July (87)