*WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT ?
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Barry Bonds of the San Francisco Giants set the all-time home run record by belting No. 756 in the 5th inning of last night's game against Washington Nationals pitcher Mike Bacsik.
The Nationals won the game 8-6.
For one spectacular moment, Barry Bonds and everybody cheering him could forget about the controversy surrounding his chase and appreciate the phenomenal feat: 756.
Nobody in the majors—not Hank Aaron, not Babe Ruth—has ever hit more home runs than the San Francisco star.
On Tuesday night, in his home ballpark, it didn't matter how many of them might have been fueled by steroids or performance-enhancers. Bonds has the title of home run king all to himself, ending Aaron's 33-year reign.
"This record is not tainted at all. At all. Period," Bonds said.
And more than 43,000 adoring Giants fans, including his godfather, Hall of Famer Willie Mays, surely agreed.
Bonds raised both arms over his head like a prize fighter in victory, fists clenched—and then he took off. It was over at long last.
Bonds did it with a shot to the deepest part of the ballpark with one out in the fifth inning against Washington's Mike Bacsik.
Bonds sent the 84-mph fastball arcing high into the night, 435 feet into the right-center field seats. And then, the celebration began in force—fireworks, streamers, banners commemorating the accomplishment, and even a party in McCovey Cove.
Conspicuous by their absence were the commissioner and Hammerin' Hank himself.
Though he was on hand for the tying homer three days ago, deciding to put baseball history ahead of the suspicions plaguing the Giants slugger, Bud Selig wasn't there for the record-breaker.
Instead, he sent two emissaries, Major League Baseball executive vice president Jimmie Lee Solomon and Hall of Famer Frank Robinson. Selig also issued a statement.
"While the issues which have swirled around this record will continue to work themselves toward resolution, today is a day for congratulations on a truly remarkable achievement," Selig said.
Bonds also heard personally from the commissioner with congratulations.
"I was very happy about that," Bonds said.
As for Aaron, he said all along he had no interest in being there whenever and wherever his record was broken. He was true to his word, but he did offer a taped message of congratulations that played on the stadium's video board during a 10-minute, in-game tribute.
"It is a great accomplishment which required skill, longevity and determination," he said.
"Throughout the past century, the home run has held a special place in baseball and I have been privileged to hold this record for 33 of those years. I move over now and offer my best wishes to Barry and his family on this historic achievement.
"My hope today, as it was on that April evening in 1974, is that the achievement of this record will inspire others to chase their own dreams."
A woman who answered the phone at Aaron's home in Georgia shortly after Bonds' homer said that Aaron was asleep.
"When I saw Hank Aaron that made everything," Bonds said. "We've always loved him. He's always the home run king."
With a long, satisfied stare, Bonds watched as the ball sailed over the fence and disappeared into the scrum in the first few rows. Then he raised both arms over his head like a victorious prize fighter, fists clenched, and took off.
"I knew I hit it," Bonds said. "I knew I got it. I was like, phew, finally."
His 17-year-old batboy son, Nikolai, was already bouncing on home plate as Dad rounded third and ran the final 90 feet to make it official. After a long embrace, the rest of the family joined in—his mother, two daughters and wife. And then there was Mays, who removed his cap and congratulated his godson.
Bonds saved his most poignant words for last, addressing his late father, Bobby.
"My dad," he said, looking to the sky and choking back tears. "Thank you."
Bonds had wanted to break the record at home, where he would be assured of a friendly crowd. They were all right, unlike in San Diego where some fans held up signs with asterisks.
Bonds has always denied knowingly using performance-enhancing drugs.
After doubling and singling his first two times up, Bonds hit a solo home run. Bacsik put his left hand to the back of his head as soon as Bonds connected.
"I dreamed about it as a kid, but when I dreamed about it, I was the one hitting the home run and not giving it up," Bacsik said.
"I didn't really want to be part of history as a bad part, but I am," he said. "I'm OK with it."
Bacsik later spoke with Bonds and got an autographed a bat from the Giants star.
Bonds took his position in left field to start the sixth, then was replaced and drew another standing ovation. The Nationals won the game, 8-6.
A fan wearing a Mets jersey wound up with the historic ball. Matt Murphy of New York emerged from the stands with the souvenir and a bloodied face, and was whisked to a secure room.
Even with Bonds at the top of the chart, fans will surely keep debating which slugger they consider the true home run champion. Some will continue to cling to Aaron while other, older rooters will always say it's Babe Ruth.
"It's all about history. Pretty soon, someone will come along and pass him," Mays said before the game.
Aaron held the top spot for 12,173 days after connecting for No. 715 to pass the Babe on April 8, 1974.
"This is the greatest record in all of sports," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "We are all fortunate to witness it. It's awesome. This road to history has been a lot of fun."
Bonds homered exactly three years after Greg Maddux earned his 300th victory at the same ballpark. It's been quite a week of baseball milestones—over the weekend, Alex Rodriguez hit his 500th home run and Tom Glavine won No. 300.
A seven-time NL MVP, the 43-year-old Bonds hit his 22nd home run of the year. Bonds broke Mark McGwire's single-season record by hitting 73 in 2001 and while he's no longer such a force, opposing pitchers remain wary.
Bonds and Giants management bickered in the offseason over contract issues. This big night was the main reason owner Peter Magowan brought back the star left fielder for a 15th season in San Francisco, signing him to a $15.8 million, one-year contract.
Bonds' once-rapid quest for the record had slowed in recent years as his age and balky knees diminished his pace. He hit 258 home runs from but has only 53 since then.
While steroids have tinged Bonds' pursuit, it was race that was the predominant issue when Aaron broke Ruth's mark in 1974. Aaron dealt with hate mail and death threats from racist fans who thought a black man was not worthy of breaking the record set by a white hero, the beloved Babe.
Bonds was destined for stardom at an early age. The son of All-Star outfielder Bobby Bonds and the godson of one of the game's greatest players, Bonds spent his childhood years roaming the clubhouse at Candlestick Park, getting tips from Mays and other Giants.
"I visualized him playing sports at a high level. He was 5 when he was in my locker all the time," Mays said.
In a matter of years, Bonds went from a wiry leadoff hitter with Pittsburgh in 1986 to a bulked-up slugger. That transformation is at the heart of his many doubters, who believe Bonds cheated to accomplish his feats and should not be considered the record-holder.
There are plenty of fans already hoping for the day that Bonds' total—whatever it ends up—is topped. Rodriguez may have the best chance, with his 500 home runs at age 32 far ahead of Bonds' pace.
Bonds said he hadn't yet thought beyond 756. He plans to play in 2008.
"I'll tell you one thing: I'm going to hit a lot better from now on," he said after a champagne celebration in the clubhouse.
ESPN GUYS COMPARE BONDS ACCOMPLISHMENTS
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
Wow Paulina still very perky at 44 ! Read about Paulas interesting childhood escaping the iron curtain THE NILES LESH PROJECT - ALL...
Yes ALL of these women are over 50 years old, sure some of them have had some work, but I mean come on a few are grand mothers (GMILFS)!, a...
FROM "CASHBACK" BONUS TOPLESS PICTURE BECUASE SHE IS SO F-ING HOT PAGE 3’s Keeley has beaten dozens of Hollywood beauties to be ru...
OSBORN COX? - NOW THAT IS A GREAT NAME !!!
Where: Lekeitio, in the Basque region of Spain. What: Antzar Eguna or "Goose Day" has its roots in at least 350 years of Spanish i...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- ► 2008 (1240)
- GWEN STEFANI - AWESOME STREET BIKINI SHOTS
- LEONA HELMSLEY'S LAST WILL & TESTAMENT
- LEGGY SUPER MODEL ELLE MACPHERSON
- BRITNEY SPEARS - "TOO SHORT" SHORTY DRESS
- BRITISH COMEDY "THE AGA SAG WOMEN"
- KARL ROVE GETS WRAPPED AT THE WHITEHOUSE
- HIPSTER OLYMPICS "LIVE" FROM WILLIAMSBURG BROOKLYN...
- JAMES BROWN SHOWS YOU HOW TO MOVE ! ! !
- 25 YEARS OF "TOP CELEBRITY SCANDALS" COUNTDOWN
- SEN LARRY CRAIG- "CLINTON IS A NAUGHTY BOY"
- AMY WINEHOUSE - CARIBBEAN BIKINI PICS
- MYTH BUSTERS - "BULL IN A CHINA SHOP" ???
- RON JEREMY - RAPS "FREAK OF THE WEEK"
- LINDSAY LOHAN - SEXY GERMAN ZOO PHOTOS
- COOL TIME LAPSE OF THE QUEEN MARY IN SANFRANCISCO ...
- 25 YEARS OF "TOP CELEBRITY SCANDALS" COUNTDOWN
- ALL BRAN - SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE ???
- RARE BLOOD RED MOON TONIGHT ! ! !
- EVE MENDEZ - STRATEGICALLY NAKED ! ! !
- SPECTACULAR HOT AIR BALLOON CRASH
- MARIAH CAREY - KINDA NUDE IN INTERVIEW MAGAZINE
- THE MICHAEL VICK STORY
- SLUTZ - BARBIE'S NEW COMPETITION ???
- MISS TEEN SOUTH CAROLINA TRIES TO ANSWER A QUESTIO...
- KIM KARDASHIAN IS A "FULL FIGURE" GAL ! ! !
- MARY KATE OLSEN SELLING WEED FOR GOD ?
- PARIS HILTON - SEXY IN GERMAN GQ ! ! !
- NEW SKULL FOSSILS CHALLENGE THE THEORY OF MAN'S OR...
- LIVE YOUR NEXT LIFE BACKWARDS ! ! !
- BROOKE BURKE IS STILL VERY HOT
- SIGGRAPH 2007 - ANIMATION INNOVATION +
- LETTERMAN'S TOP 10 "MICHAEL VICK EXCUSES"
- CAROLINE DAMORE AT THE HILTON'S BEACH PARTY
- LOUIS JOHNSON - HOW TO THUMP THE BASS !
- THE STAND UP ECONOMIST ???
- THE AMAZING FROZEN SMOKE "AEROGEL"
- LUCY LIU - I SEE YOU !
- BRITNEY SPEARS - LOOKING GOOD IN "ALLURE" !
- TV ANCHOR HAS A BOUT OF IN APROPRIATE LAUGHTER
- GENIUS PURE GENIUS - LEGEND OF CNORRIS !
- JENNA JAMESON - BEACH BIKINI AND DOG !
- JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT COULDN'T GET WORSE FOR MI...
- PHIL RIZZUTO, 89 - GONE TO THE GREAT YANKEE IN TH...
- THAILAND'S "BOMB SQUAD" IN ACTION !
- JAPANESE TV - WACKY SHAVING COMMERCIAL
- TRAILER - SPORE (STILL COMING SOON) !
- WHAT NOT TO DO IF YOU MISS THE FREEWAY EXIT !
- GET YOUR BOXING GLOVES- IT A RUSSIAN WEDDING !
- KIM KARDASHIAN IN " SUPER BOOTY "
- SUPERBAD R- RATED TRAILER ! ! !
- SUPERMODEL "RUNWAY WIPEOUT" MONTAGE
- GWYNETH PALTROW - THE GODDESS ?
- FHM'S SEXIEST VIDEO OF ALLTIME ( 2007 )
- ALLOW ME TO BREAK THE ICE - FREEZE !
- REDNECK GAMES - END IN ROWDY RUCKUS ! ! !
- MERV GRIFFIN TALK SHOW LEGEND , 82
- FOXNEWS - "ROMNEY GIRLS" vs "OBAMA GIRL"
- RON PAUL - THE REAL DEAL ! ! !
- THE AWESOME MUGSHOT COLLECTION # 1
- NEW SPACE HOTEL OPENING 2012 ???
- UFOs OVER HATI CAUGHT ON VIDEO ! ! !
- A DOG WITH TWO WET NOSES ! ! !
- EVOLUTION - "SOUTH PARK" STYLE ! ! !
- HOLLYWOODS MOST BANKABLE STARS $ $ $
- FOSSIL CASTS DOUBT ON THE ORIGIN OF MAN
- LOUIS CK - WHY LITTLE KIDS SUCK ???
- FREELOADERS GUIDE TO INTERNET DATING
- TWO GUYS WHO LICK WOMEN ON VIDEO ???
- MIENFOKS MYTH BUSTER "THE GAYNESS OF JEFF GARCIA"
- NEW "MICHAEL VICK" CHEW TOY FOR DOGS !
- BARRY BONDS HITS NUMBER 756*
- CHRISTINE AGUILERA SHOWS A LITTLE CLEAVAGE! ! !
- COOL NEW "LED FLASHLIGHT" WEAPON ! ! !
- Scientists reveal secret of levitation ! ! !
- OJ SIMPSON ON A LIVE CALL-IN SHOW ???
- WORST PLAYER EVER ON THE PRICE IS RIGHT
- EVER BEEN DRUNK AND TRY TO STAND UP ???
- PAM ANDERSON WINS MIENFOKS BIKINI TROPHY
- THE TRAP - TRICKY COMMERCIAL FOR TOYOTAS
- AWESOME OFFICE CHAIR JUMPING STUNTS ! ! !
- ORSEN WELLS BBC INTERVIEW 1974
- Sunshine helps in the fight against breast cancer
- CINDY CRAWFORD - STILL IN THE SUN AT 41
- TOM CRUISE MUST KILL HITLER ! ! !
- RACHEL RAY'S MONTAGE OF ORGASM FACES
- WHO'S CRAZIER -TED STEVENS vs ROBERT BYRD ?
- DITA VON TEESE - DISCIPLINES BUSH
- BHC - 9 "500 HORSEPOWER" CHOPPER ! ! !
- CHABERT LACEY IS HOT ! ! !
- KEVIN SMITH - PUNKS A GEEK LIVE ! ! !
- GEORGE CASTANZA AS KARL ROVE-MORT ???
- 200 YEAR OLD SUBMARINE ATTACKS QUEEN MARY ?
- BIKINI CARWASH GONE WRONG ! ! !
- RARE TIGER CUB TWINS
- WACKY NEWS BLOOPERS ! ! !
- LINDSAY LOHAN COMPARES HER CONTEMPORARIES
- WHY DO WE HAVE SEX ???
- TARA REID - ST TROPEZ & HOT AGAIN ???
- SCARLETT & JENNA WHAT MAY HAVE BEEN ???
- KELLY OSBOURNE - MAJOR MAKE OVER ???
- ▼ August (101)