Wednesday, August 22, 2007
A MIRACLE material for the 21st century could protect your home against bomb blasts, mop up oil spillages and even help man to fly to Mars.
Aerogel, one of the world’s lightest solids, can withstand a direct blast of 1kg of dynamite and protect against heat from a blowtorch at more than 1,300C.
Scientists are working to discover new applications for the substance, ranging from the next generation of tennis rackets to super-insulated space suits for a manned mission to Mars.
It is expected to rank alongside wonder products from previous generations such as Bakelite in the 1930s, carbon fibre in the 1980s and silicone in the 1990s. Mercouri Kanatzidis, a chemistry professor at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, said: “It is an amazing material. It has the lowest density of any product known to man, yet at the same time it can do so much. I can see aerogel being used for everything from filtering polluted water to insulating against extreme temperatures and even for jewellery.”
Aerogel is nicknamed “frozen smoke” and is made by extracting water from a silica gel, then replacing it with gas such as carbon dioxide. The result is a substance that is capable of insulating against extreme temperatures and of absorbing pollutants such as crude oil.
It was invented by an American chemist for a bet in 1931, but early versions were so brittle and costly that it was largely consigned to laboratories. It was not until a decade ago that Nasa started taking an interest in the substance and putting it to a more practical use.
In 1999 the space agency fitted its Stardust space probe with a mitt packed full of aerogel to catch the dust from a comet’s tail. It returned with a rich collection of samples last year.
In 2002 Aspen Aerogel, a company created by Nasa, produced a stronger and more flexible version of the gel. It is now being used to develop an insulated lining in space suits for the first manned mission to Mars, scheduled for 2018.
Mark Krajewski, a senior scientist at the company, believes that an 18mm layer of aerogel will be sufficient to protect astronauts from temperatures as low as -130C. “It is the greatest insulator we’ve ever seen,” he said.
Aerogel is also being tested for future bombproof housing and armour for military vehicles. In the laboratory, a metal plate coated in 6mm of aerogel was left almost unscathed by a direct dynamite blast.
It also has green credentials. Aerogel is described by scientists as the “ultimate sponge”, with millions of tiny pores on its surface making it ideal for absorbing pollutants in water.
Kanatzidis has created a new version of aerogel designed to mop up lead and mercury from water. Other versions are designed to absorb oil spills.
He is optimistic that it could be used to deal with environmental catastrophes such as the Sea Empress spillage in 1996, when 72,000 tons of crude oil were released off the coast of Milford Haven in Pembrokeshire.
Aerogel is also being used for everyday applications. Dunlop, the sports equipment company, has developed a range of squash and tennis rackets strengthened with aerogel, which are said to deliver more power.
Earlier this year Bob Stoker, 66, from Nottingham, became the first Briton to have his property insulated with aerogel. “The heating has improved significantly. I turned the thermostat down five degrees. It’s been a remarkable transformation,” he said.
Mountain climbers are also converts. Last year Anne Parmenter, a British mountaineer, climbed Everest using boots that had aerogel insoles, as well as sleeping bags padded with the material. She said at the time: “The only problem I had was that my feet were too hot, which is a great problem to have as a mountaineer.”
However, it has failed to convince the fashion world. Hugo Boss created a line of winter jackets out of the material but had to withdraw them after complaints that they were too hot.
Although aerogel is classed as a solid, 99% of the substance is made up of gas, which gives it a cloudy appearance.
Scientists say that because it has so many millions of pores and ridges, if one cubic centimetre of aerogel were unravelled it would fill an area the size of a football field.
Its nano-sized pores can not only collect pollutants like a sponge but they also act as air pockets.
Researchers believe that some versions of aerogel which are made from platinum can be used to speed up the production of hydrogen. As a result, aerogel can be used to make hydrogen-based fuels.
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
SHE IS A POTENTIAL F D I L F !!! Meghan McCain is a 23-year-old, socially liberal John Kerry voter who loves Superbad, Dita von Teese, Bud L...
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
Princess Eugenie of York, 18, daughter of Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York and Prince Andrew Wales, Duke of York, took part in a naked celebr...
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any po...
OSBORN COX? - NOW THAT IS A GREAT NAME !!!
View the Niles Lesh - ADRIANA LIMA Photo Collection ! See ET's video of ADRIANA LIMA flying in the V1 JETS SEAPLANE
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- ► 2008 (1240)
- GWEN STEFANI - AWESOME STREET BIKINI SHOTS
- LEONA HELMSLEY'S LAST WILL & TESTAMENT
- LEGGY SUPER MODEL ELLE MACPHERSON
- BRITNEY SPEARS - "TOO SHORT" SHORTY DRESS
- BRITISH COMEDY "THE AGA SAG WOMEN"
- KARL ROVE GETS WRAPPED AT THE WHITEHOUSE
- HIPSTER OLYMPICS "LIVE" FROM WILLIAMSBURG BROOKLYN...
- JAMES BROWN SHOWS YOU HOW TO MOVE ! ! !
- 25 YEARS OF "TOP CELEBRITY SCANDALS" COUNTDOWN
- SEN LARRY CRAIG- "CLINTON IS A NAUGHTY BOY"
- AMY WINEHOUSE - CARIBBEAN BIKINI PICS
- MYTH BUSTERS - "BULL IN A CHINA SHOP" ???
- RON JEREMY - RAPS "FREAK OF THE WEEK"
- LINDSAY LOHAN - SEXY GERMAN ZOO PHOTOS
- COOL TIME LAPSE OF THE QUEEN MARY IN SANFRANCISCO ...
- 25 YEARS OF "TOP CELEBRITY SCANDALS" COUNTDOWN
- ALL BRAN - SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE ???
- RARE BLOOD RED MOON TONIGHT ! ! !
- EVE MENDEZ - STRATEGICALLY NAKED ! ! !
- SPECTACULAR HOT AIR BALLOON CRASH
- MARIAH CAREY - KINDA NUDE IN INTERVIEW MAGAZINE
- THE MICHAEL VICK STORY
- SLUTZ - BARBIE'S NEW COMPETITION ???
- MISS TEEN SOUTH CAROLINA TRIES TO ANSWER A QUESTIO...
- KIM KARDASHIAN IS A "FULL FIGURE" GAL ! ! !
- MARY KATE OLSEN SELLING WEED FOR GOD ?
- PARIS HILTON - SEXY IN GERMAN GQ ! ! !
- NEW SKULL FOSSILS CHALLENGE THE THEORY OF MAN'S OR...
- LIVE YOUR NEXT LIFE BACKWARDS ! ! !
- BROOKE BURKE IS STILL VERY HOT
- SIGGRAPH 2007 - ANIMATION INNOVATION +
- LETTERMAN'S TOP 10 "MICHAEL VICK EXCUSES"
- CAROLINE DAMORE AT THE HILTON'S BEACH PARTY
- LOUIS JOHNSON - HOW TO THUMP THE BASS !
- THE STAND UP ECONOMIST ???
- THE AMAZING FROZEN SMOKE "AEROGEL"
- LUCY LIU - I SEE YOU !
- BRITNEY SPEARS - LOOKING GOOD IN "ALLURE" !
- TV ANCHOR HAS A BOUT OF IN APROPRIATE LAUGHTER
- GENIUS PURE GENIUS - LEGEND OF CNORRIS !
- JENNA JAMESON - BEACH BIKINI AND DOG !
- JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT COULDN'T GET WORSE FOR MI...
- PHIL RIZZUTO, 89 - GONE TO THE GREAT YANKEE IN TH...
- THAILAND'S "BOMB SQUAD" IN ACTION !
- JAPANESE TV - WACKY SHAVING COMMERCIAL
- TRAILER - SPORE (STILL COMING SOON) !
- WHAT NOT TO DO IF YOU MISS THE FREEWAY EXIT !
- GET YOUR BOXING GLOVES- IT A RUSSIAN WEDDING !
- KIM KARDASHIAN IN " SUPER BOOTY "
- SUPERBAD R- RATED TRAILER ! ! !
- SUPERMODEL "RUNWAY WIPEOUT" MONTAGE
- GWYNETH PALTROW - THE GODDESS ?
- FHM'S SEXIEST VIDEO OF ALLTIME ( 2007 )
- ALLOW ME TO BREAK THE ICE - FREEZE !
- REDNECK GAMES - END IN ROWDY RUCKUS ! ! !
- MERV GRIFFIN TALK SHOW LEGEND , 82
- FOXNEWS - "ROMNEY GIRLS" vs "OBAMA GIRL"
- RON PAUL - THE REAL DEAL ! ! !
- THE AWESOME MUGSHOT COLLECTION # 1
- NEW SPACE HOTEL OPENING 2012 ???
- UFOs OVER HATI CAUGHT ON VIDEO ! ! !
- A DOG WITH TWO WET NOSES ! ! !
- EVOLUTION - "SOUTH PARK" STYLE ! ! !
- HOLLYWOODS MOST BANKABLE STARS $ $ $
- FOSSIL CASTS DOUBT ON THE ORIGIN OF MAN
- LOUIS CK - WHY LITTLE KIDS SUCK ???
- FREELOADERS GUIDE TO INTERNET DATING
- TWO GUYS WHO LICK WOMEN ON VIDEO ???
- MIENFOKS MYTH BUSTER "THE GAYNESS OF JEFF GARCIA"
- NEW "MICHAEL VICK" CHEW TOY FOR DOGS !
- BARRY BONDS HITS NUMBER 756*
- CHRISTINE AGUILERA SHOWS A LITTLE CLEAVAGE! ! !
- COOL NEW "LED FLASHLIGHT" WEAPON ! ! !
- Scientists reveal secret of levitation ! ! !
- OJ SIMPSON ON A LIVE CALL-IN SHOW ???
- WORST PLAYER EVER ON THE PRICE IS RIGHT
- EVER BEEN DRUNK AND TRY TO STAND UP ???
- PAM ANDERSON WINS MIENFOKS BIKINI TROPHY
- THE TRAP - TRICKY COMMERCIAL FOR TOYOTAS
- AWESOME OFFICE CHAIR JUMPING STUNTS ! ! !
- ORSEN WELLS BBC INTERVIEW 1974
- Sunshine helps in the fight against breast cancer
- CINDY CRAWFORD - STILL IN THE SUN AT 41
- TOM CRUISE MUST KILL HITLER ! ! !
- RACHEL RAY'S MONTAGE OF ORGASM FACES
- WHO'S CRAZIER -TED STEVENS vs ROBERT BYRD ?
- DITA VON TEESE - DISCIPLINES BUSH
- BHC - 9 "500 HORSEPOWER" CHOPPER ! ! !
- CHABERT LACEY IS HOT ! ! !
- KEVIN SMITH - PUNKS A GEEK LIVE ! ! !
- GEORGE CASTANZA AS KARL ROVE-MORT ???
- 200 YEAR OLD SUBMARINE ATTACKS QUEEN MARY ?
- BIKINI CARWASH GONE WRONG ! ! !
- RARE TIGER CUB TWINS
- WACKY NEWS BLOOPERS ! ! !
- LINDSAY LOHAN COMPARES HER CONTEMPORARIES
- WHY DO WE HAVE SEX ???
- TARA REID - ST TROPEZ & HOT AGAIN ???
- SCARLETT & JENNA WHAT MAY HAVE BEEN ???
- KELLY OSBOURNE - MAJOR MAKE OVER ???
- ▼ August (101)