Sunday, August 5, 2007
Women who stay out of the sun are increasing their risk of developing breast cancer, a new study suggests.
The safe-tanning messages that are drummed into women each year may help to reduce their risk of skin cancer – but at the cost of increasing their risk of breast cancer.
The majority of vitamin D comes from exposure of the skin to sunlight but many women – exposed less in winter and reluctant to bare themselves in summer because of the dangers – are deficient.
There has been anecdotal evidence to suggest that breast cancer is less common among women who live closer to the Equator, where the sunshine is stronger.
However a new study provides evidence that the lower the levels of vitamin D in a woman’s blood-stream, the greater the risk of her developing breast cancer if she has passed the menopause.
Of more than 1,000 women who took part in a trial, those who were given both calcium and vitamin D supplements had less than half the chance of developing breast cancer than those given a placebo (13 cases among 446 women compared with 20 cases among 288 women.
A team from Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska, enrolled 1,179 women all 55 or older, who had no history of cancer. The women were divided randomly into groups and given either supplements of calcium alone, calcium plus vitamin D, or a placebo for four years.
The researchers were interested primarily in the risk of the women suffering from osteoporosis, but they also looked at cancer risks.
The team, whose study was published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, found that calcium alone also had a protective effect against cancer but it was not as strong.
When the researchers repeated the analysis for those women who were free of cancer after the first year of the study, the results were even more striking. By doing this, the team excluded any cases that would have been present, but undetected, before the trial began.
In this second analysis, the risks were reduced by more than three quarters.
“Our findings of decreased all-cancer risk with improved vitamin D status are consistent with a large and still growing body of epidemiologic and observational data showing that cancer risk, cancer mortality, or both are inversely associated with solar exposure, vitamin D status, or both,” the researchers said.
The findings underscored the value of achieving and maintaining a high concentration of the vitamin, they added.
The Creighton University study follows one published in May in Archives of Internal Medicine that reached similar conclusions.
This earlier one used data from the Nurses’ Study at Harvard, which followed more than 30,000 women for up to 15 years. Their dietary intake of both calcium and vitamin D was calculated from dietary questionnaires. The team, from Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, found that high levels of the two nutrients were linked with a 40 per cent lower risk of breast cancer in younger women.
The difference was more marked for aggressive cancers. But this study, unlike the Creighton trial, did not find a link among older women.
“Findings from this study suggest that higher intakes of calcium and vitamin D may be associated with a lower risk of developing premenopausal breast cancer,” the authors concluded.
Vitamin D is present in foods including milk, eggs, oily fish, green vegetables and fortified margarines. But a significant part of the vitamin D need is manufactured in the skin by exposure to sunlight.
Earlier studies have linked high levels of vitamin D to reduced risks of other cancers, including of the colon and prostate. But the advice of Cancer Research UK has long been that the risk of skin cancer from overexposure to the sun exceeds benefits achieved through higher vitamin D status.
Not all experts agree. Cedric Garland, of the University of California at San Diego, claimed in the British Medical Journalin 2003 that sun avoidance would increase the risk of cancers overall, especially among those who live at latitudes as far north as Britain.
He recommended 10-15 minutes a day of sun exposure, without sunscreen, to allow adequate synthesis of vitamin D. But this alone is not enough, he suggested, because vitamin D is not stored for long in the body and there is not enough sun during the winter to synthesise it.
He therefore recommended the use of supplements, as in the new trial, to boost levels. But the risks from overdosing are such that these must be taken with caution.
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
Eating fresh watermelon could help men pep up their love lives, scientists said yesterday. The fruit has a similar effect to taking Viagra, ...
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any po...
Austria drew first blood early today when their topless women's football team beat Germany 10-5. The traditional swapping of shirts afte...
Business must be slow for porn star Amy Reid these days. Reid is advertising her “services” on an escort service website. Now you too can pi...
Yes ALL of these women are over 50 years old, sure some of them have had some work, but I mean come on a few are grand mothers (GMILFS)!, a...
OSBORN COX? - NOW THAT IS A GREAT NAME !!!
FROM "CASHBACK" BONUS TOPLESS PICTURE BECUASE SHE IS SO F-ING HOT PAGE 3’s Keeley has beaten dozens of Hollywood beauties to be ru...
A ustralian model Megan Gale has been cast as Wonder Woman and Armie Hammer has been cast as Batman in the upcoming "Justice League of ...
SADLY ITS ON IN THE UK ONLY U ndressing the nation: The style gurus strip down to their bras ITV has been bombarded with complaints after a...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- ► 2008 (1240)
- GWEN STEFANI - AWESOME STREET BIKINI SHOTS
- LEONA HELMSLEY'S LAST WILL & TESTAMENT
- LEGGY SUPER MODEL ELLE MACPHERSON
- BRITNEY SPEARS - "TOO SHORT" SHORTY DRESS
- BRITISH COMEDY "THE AGA SAG WOMEN"
- KARL ROVE GETS WRAPPED AT THE WHITEHOUSE
- HIPSTER OLYMPICS "LIVE" FROM WILLIAMSBURG BROOKLYN...
- JAMES BROWN SHOWS YOU HOW TO MOVE ! ! !
- 25 YEARS OF "TOP CELEBRITY SCANDALS" COUNTDOWN
- SEN LARRY CRAIG- "CLINTON IS A NAUGHTY BOY"
- AMY WINEHOUSE - CARIBBEAN BIKINI PICS
- MYTH BUSTERS - "BULL IN A CHINA SHOP" ???
- RON JEREMY - RAPS "FREAK OF THE WEEK"
- LINDSAY LOHAN - SEXY GERMAN ZOO PHOTOS
- COOL TIME LAPSE OF THE QUEEN MARY IN SANFRANCISCO ...
- 25 YEARS OF "TOP CELEBRITY SCANDALS" COUNTDOWN
- ALL BRAN - SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE ???
- RARE BLOOD RED MOON TONIGHT ! ! !
- EVE MENDEZ - STRATEGICALLY NAKED ! ! !
- SPECTACULAR HOT AIR BALLOON CRASH
- MARIAH CAREY - KINDA NUDE IN INTERVIEW MAGAZINE
- THE MICHAEL VICK STORY
- SLUTZ - BARBIE'S NEW COMPETITION ???
- MISS TEEN SOUTH CAROLINA TRIES TO ANSWER A QUESTIO...
- KIM KARDASHIAN IS A "FULL FIGURE" GAL ! ! !
- MARY KATE OLSEN SELLING WEED FOR GOD ?
- PARIS HILTON - SEXY IN GERMAN GQ ! ! !
- NEW SKULL FOSSILS CHALLENGE THE THEORY OF MAN'S OR...
- LIVE YOUR NEXT LIFE BACKWARDS ! ! !
- BROOKE BURKE IS STILL VERY HOT
- SIGGRAPH 2007 - ANIMATION INNOVATION +
- LETTERMAN'S TOP 10 "MICHAEL VICK EXCUSES"
- CAROLINE DAMORE AT THE HILTON'S BEACH PARTY
- LOUIS JOHNSON - HOW TO THUMP THE BASS !
- THE STAND UP ECONOMIST ???
- THE AMAZING FROZEN SMOKE "AEROGEL"
- LUCY LIU - I SEE YOU !
- BRITNEY SPEARS - LOOKING GOOD IN "ALLURE" !
- TV ANCHOR HAS A BOUT OF IN APROPRIATE LAUGHTER
- GENIUS PURE GENIUS - LEGEND OF CNORRIS !
- JENNA JAMESON - BEACH BIKINI AND DOG !
- JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT COULDN'T GET WORSE FOR MI...
- PHIL RIZZUTO, 89 - GONE TO THE GREAT YANKEE IN TH...
- THAILAND'S "BOMB SQUAD" IN ACTION !
- JAPANESE TV - WACKY SHAVING COMMERCIAL
- TRAILER - SPORE (STILL COMING SOON) !
- WHAT NOT TO DO IF YOU MISS THE FREEWAY EXIT !
- GET YOUR BOXING GLOVES- IT A RUSSIAN WEDDING !
- KIM KARDASHIAN IN " SUPER BOOTY "
- SUPERBAD R- RATED TRAILER ! ! !
- SUPERMODEL "RUNWAY WIPEOUT" MONTAGE
- GWYNETH PALTROW - THE GODDESS ?
- FHM'S SEXIEST VIDEO OF ALLTIME ( 2007 )
- ALLOW ME TO BREAK THE ICE - FREEZE !
- REDNECK GAMES - END IN ROWDY RUCKUS ! ! !
- MERV GRIFFIN TALK SHOW LEGEND , 82
- FOXNEWS - "ROMNEY GIRLS" vs "OBAMA GIRL"
- RON PAUL - THE REAL DEAL ! ! !
- THE AWESOME MUGSHOT COLLECTION # 1
- NEW SPACE HOTEL OPENING 2012 ???
- UFOs OVER HATI CAUGHT ON VIDEO ! ! !
- A DOG WITH TWO WET NOSES ! ! !
- EVOLUTION - "SOUTH PARK" STYLE ! ! !
- HOLLYWOODS MOST BANKABLE STARS $ $ $
- FOSSIL CASTS DOUBT ON THE ORIGIN OF MAN
- LOUIS CK - WHY LITTLE KIDS SUCK ???
- FREELOADERS GUIDE TO INTERNET DATING
- TWO GUYS WHO LICK WOMEN ON VIDEO ???
- MIENFOKS MYTH BUSTER "THE GAYNESS OF JEFF GARCIA"
- NEW "MICHAEL VICK" CHEW TOY FOR DOGS !
- BARRY BONDS HITS NUMBER 756*
- CHRISTINE AGUILERA SHOWS A LITTLE CLEAVAGE! ! !
- COOL NEW "LED FLASHLIGHT" WEAPON ! ! !
- Scientists reveal secret of levitation ! ! !
- OJ SIMPSON ON A LIVE CALL-IN SHOW ???
- WORST PLAYER EVER ON THE PRICE IS RIGHT
- EVER BEEN DRUNK AND TRY TO STAND UP ???
- PAM ANDERSON WINS MIENFOKS BIKINI TROPHY
- THE TRAP - TRICKY COMMERCIAL FOR TOYOTAS
- AWESOME OFFICE CHAIR JUMPING STUNTS ! ! !
- ORSEN WELLS BBC INTERVIEW 1974
- Sunshine helps in the fight against breast cancer
- CINDY CRAWFORD - STILL IN THE SUN AT 41
- TOM CRUISE MUST KILL HITLER ! ! !
- RACHEL RAY'S MONTAGE OF ORGASM FACES
- WHO'S CRAZIER -TED STEVENS vs ROBERT BYRD ?
- DITA VON TEESE - DISCIPLINES BUSH
- BHC - 9 "500 HORSEPOWER" CHOPPER ! ! !
- CHABERT LACEY IS HOT ! ! !
- KEVIN SMITH - PUNKS A GEEK LIVE ! ! !
- GEORGE CASTANZA AS KARL ROVE-MORT ???
- 200 YEAR OLD SUBMARINE ATTACKS QUEEN MARY ?
- BIKINI CARWASH GONE WRONG ! ! !
- RARE TIGER CUB TWINS
- WACKY NEWS BLOOPERS ! ! !
- LINDSAY LOHAN COMPARES HER CONTEMPORARIES
- WHY DO WE HAVE SEX ???
- TARA REID - ST TROPEZ & HOT AGAIN ???
- SCARLETT & JENNA WHAT MAY HAVE BEEN ???
- KELLY OSBOURNE - MAJOR MAKE OVER ???
- ▼ August (101)