ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - With apologies to Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry, this Saturday you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"
Lots of people do, for one simple reason. Saturday will be July 7, 2007, or 7-7-07. In numerological terms, that's about as big as it gets for the superstitious.
People are booking gambling junkets, casinos are offering "7"-themed promotions, and about three times the normal number of couples plan to get married that day, including Eva Longoria and basketball player boyfriend Tony Parker.
Nearly 100 couples will tie the knot atop roller coasters or inside revolving teacups at amusement parks at 7 that morning, a California yogi plans to achieve massive harmony through gong meditation at 7 that night, and Christians will gather in a Tennessee football stadium to pray on a day that has good Biblical implications for many.
Experts are quick to point out that Saturday is no more or less likely to be lucky than any other day. But try telling that to Allen Windrim, a 20-something entrepreneur from Philadelphia who owns a real estate management firm, a collection agency and a construction company.
"Hopefully I can get all my vacancies filled that day, all my collection cases settled without going to court, and get seven jobs for the construction company worth seventy-thousand each," he said.
"And then I'll take all that money and put it on Number Seven," he said. "I'm definitely in Atlantic City that day."
Casinos across the country are rolling heavy doses of sevens to attract superstitious gamblers, everything from $7 drink specials to luxury watches selling for $777. The Tropicana Casino and Resort in Atlantic City is offering a $7,777 package that includes a bi-level suite, two tickets to a show and the spa, and dining and shopping credits.
Craps players — among the most superstitious gamblers — have been buzzing for weeks about Lucky 7 Day, said Mario DiGuiseppe, the Tropicana's vice president of casino operations.
Asked if he believes in luck or superstition, DiGuiseppe responded with the certainty of one who knows that the odds always favor the house.
"I believe in math," he said with a chuckle.
Math is no obstacle for William Mobley of Philadelphia, who plans to be in Atlantic City on Saturday.
"I got a feeling about that day," he said. "I'll win over $700. Everything will go people's way that day. At least hopefully mine."
Gambles of a different sort will take couples down the aisle. Kathleen Murray, deputy editor of The Knot — http://www.theknot.com/ — said 38,000 of the company's members are getting married that day, up from the normal 12,000 for a Saturday in July.
"This is a true phenomenon," she said. "I've never seen anything like this before. Seven has always been considered the luckiest number, and with three sevens in a row brides and grooms feel they're hitting the jackpot that day."
One of them is Jennifer Dybas, 27, of Channahom, Ill., whose fiancee, Jeff Michalek, 34, is a fanatical poker player. Their wedding theme: Lucky In Love.
"We're giving out instant lottery tickets as favors, and we have little chocolate poker chips with `777 — Lucky In Love' written on them," she said. "Our cake has dice on top and a roulette wheel on the bottom, and the king and queen of hearts on it."
"We got the last ballroom at the country club, the last DJ available at the place we went to, and the last photographer at the photo studio we wanted," she said. "So the luck is starting already."
Other brides chose the day for a more practical reason. "Some brides say their husbands will have no excuse to ever forget their anniversary this way," Murray said.
The Six Flags amusement park chain is hosting seven wedding receptions at 7 a.m. at each of its 12 U.S. facilities. They're calling the event "Thrilled Ever After."
The Ritz Carlton Hotel's Central Park location in New York is offering a July 7 wedding package with a reception for 77, a seven-tier wedding cake, seven Tiffany diamonds for the bride, and a seven-night honeymoon at any Ritz in the world for $77,777.
The day has big noncommercial potential as well. Harijiwan, a yoga instructor in Santa Monica, Calif., who uses only one name, plans a gong meditation course at 7 p.m.
"The numerology on this day — 7-7-07 — is phenomenal," he wrote on his Web site. "Seven represents the aura. Three sevens equals 21 (2+13). Three represents the positive mind. Add the 7 p.m. hour and you have four sevens, which equals 28 (2+810). Ten is the radiant body."
Christians will gather in the Nashville football stadium where the Tennessee Titans play to pray and fast on the 7th.
"The number is significant in the Bible because seven represents a covenant," said Julia Richardson, a spokeswoman for the event, titled The Call. "We feel we want to make a covenant with the Lord to pursue him. Whether it's 1,000 people or 100,000 people, we feel we can bring about a change through prayer and fasting."
Not everyone is greeting the date with enthusiasm. July 7 is the second anniversary of the London terrorist bombings that killed 52 people, and Great Britain has been at high states of readiness since an attack on the Glasgow airport and foiled car bombings at Picadilly Circus within the last week.
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
SHE IS A POTENTIAL F D I L F !!! Meghan McCain is a 23-year-old, socially liberal John Kerry voter who loves Superbad, Dita von Teese, Bud L...
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
Princess Eugenie of York, 18, daughter of Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York and Prince Andrew Wales, Duke of York, took part in a naked celebr...
ANA PAULA CONNELY JULIANA SILVA LARISSA FRANCA MICHELE MOORE SUZANNE STONEBARGER SEE THEM ALL AT WORLDOFISSAC
Wow Paulina still very perky at 44 ! Read about Paulas interesting childhood escaping the iron curtain THE NILES LESH PROJECT - ALL...
Where: Lekeitio, in the Basque region of Spain. What: Antzar Eguna or "Goose Day" has its roots in at least 350 years of Spanish i...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- ► 2008 (1240)
- SCARLETT JOHANSON- TO STAR AS JENNA JAMESON ?
- JOE PESCI ENGAGED TO ANGIE EVERHART
- REPUBLICANS SHUN "YOUTUBE" DEABTE
- JAPANESE PENIS FESTIVAL ???
- 7 YEAR OLD TOTALLY ROCKS "GUITAR HERO" ! ! !
- HOLLYWOOD A-LIST BIKINI CONTEST
- NATALIE GULBIS- WORLDS SEXIEST GOLF CHAMP
- WHY FOX HATES BLOGGERS ? ? ?
- BRITNEY SPEARS - LOOKS HOT IN A BLACK DRESS !
- NEW MAUI TV STATION K - UNT ???
- HEIDI KLUM NUDE IN ARENA MAGAZINE ! ! !
- TALK SEX- DR SUE SHOWS HOW TO PLEASURE A MAN
- COP PULLS OVER AN AIRPLANE ???
- HIGHEST PAID TV STARS Oprah Winfrey : $260 million...
- HILARY DOMINATES THE YOUTUBE DEBATES !
- AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE MOVIE INTRO ! ! !
- WTF- GOVERNMENT CHARGING SOLDIER FOR LOST EQUIPMEN...
- SENATOR ROBERT BYRD (D) - "BARBARIC"
- WORST JAILBREAK EVER ! ! !
- FAMILY GUY - POLITICIANS & VOTERS
- CALIFORNIA INVADED BY GIANT SQUID ! ! !
- ARTISTIC BODY PAINTING ! ! !
- THE HEART ATTACK GRILL ???
- JESSICA ALBA - SEXY PICS IN THE AUGUST GQ ! ! !
- HILARY - "SOMETIMES THE BEST MAN FOR THE JOB IS A ...
- JOE ROGAN'S STRANGE VIEW OF MANKIND
- A VERY STRANGE "SKITTLES" COMMERCIAL
- IRAQI STAR WARS "AC-130 & UH 60 GROUND FIRE"
- SERENA WILLIAMS NUDE IN JANE MAGAZINE
- DUBAI TOWER - WORLD TALLEST 1,680 FEET
- CHINOOK THE COMPUTER THAT OWNS CHECKERS !
- WTF - BUSH HAS MADE WAR PROTEST ILLEGAL
- SIMPSONS- # 1 FROM THE TRACY ULLMAN SHOW
- PHILLIPINE JAILHOUSE VERSION OF THE "THRILLER"VIDE...
- MEXICAN MAN LOSES 200 KILOS OF FAT ! ! !
- BRITNEY ON THE BEACH, NO BIKINI, NO PROBLEM
- Poll: 'None of the above' leads GOP field
- THE SIMPSONS EXPOSE THE FOXNEWS AGENDA !
- TRICKY AD FOR HAIR REPLACEMENT SERVICE
- LINDSAY LOHAN'S NEW ANKLE BRACELETT
- BEST STUDENT TEACHER EXTRA CURRICULAR RELATIONSHIP...
- BAD ADVERTIZING PLACEMENT DECISIONS
- NEWS ANCHOR LAUGHS AT FALLING MODEL
- HOMER SIMPSON PISSES OFF PAGANS ???
- CAMERON DIAZ - BIKINI BEACH SHOW !!!
- TOP NEWS - THE INTERNET HAS CRASHED !!!
- LINDSAY LOHAN'S LITTLE SISTER ALI ! ! !
- 110 FOOT PLATFORM DIVE ! ! !
- PHILLIES RESCUE ROCKIES GROUND CREW ! ! !
- Phillies lose their 10,000th game ! ! !
- POODLE FITNESS TRAINING ???
- SIMPSONS - HOMER CLONES HOMER ! ! !
- SIMPSONS - ALI G SPOOF ! ! !
- PROTESTING GEORGE BUSH BRAZILIAN STYLE !!!
- RANDOM QUASI CELEBRITY HOTTIES ! ! !
- HOW BUSH HAS BEEN FUDGING THE NUMBERS
- REBECCA ROMIJN MARRIES FAT KID FROM "STAND BY ME" ...
- HOW STUPID ARE THE FRENCH ???
- CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW ? ? ?
- ROBOTS USED TO HANDLE EXPLOSIVE IN IRAQ
- SAVE THE INTERNET BY JULY 16TH ! ! !
- TOP TEN HOTTEST BABES OF POKER
- RUNNING OF THE BULLS IN PAMPALONA SPAIN
- WTF - Ave. Rent: $2,000 a Month, for a Studio ???
- LOUIS CK - RECREATIONAL PEOPLE HATING
- 10 YEAR OLDS KIDNAP A BABY ! ! !
- THAT SCENE FROM "DELIVERENCE" 1972
- TV REPORTER BUSTED BY BIKINI VIDEO ! ! !
- 4 DJS WITH 4TURNTABLES & FOUR 808'S - 1 SONG
- WILL AN " IPHONE " BLEND ? HELL YEAH ! ! !
- JESSICA - THE HOUSE PET HIPPO ???
- BAI LING HAS A HUGE NIPPLE ! ! !
- NEW PLANET WITH WATER FOUND ! ! !
- DAVID LETTERMAN GETS PERSONAL WITH OPTIMUS PRIME !...
- LINDSAY'S 21ST BIKINI BIRTHDAY BASH ! ! !
- MAN PICKS 40 + POUND MUSHROOM ! ! !
- FAT RICH KID HAS PHAT 16TH B-DAY PARTY ! ! !
- JAPANESE TV - DIZZY BOXING ! ! !
- EVEN THE "MPAA" PIRATES MOVIES ! ! !
- MAN LEGALLY CHANGES NAME TO OPTIMUS PRIME !
- LINDSAY LOHAN - RADAR PHOTO SHOOT VIDEO !
- USATODAY - Steady leads for Giuliani & Clinton
- GREGORIAN MONKS COVER "GREENDAY "???
- JAPANESE TV- MORE HUMAN TETRIS ! ! !
- BOEING UNVEILS NEW 787 DREAMLINER ! ! !
- A VERY UNUSUAL COMMERCIAL FOR THE WIND ?
- STEVE MARTIN JAMMIN WITH EARL SCRUGGS
- CARLOS SLIM THE RICHEST MAN IN THE WORLD !
- EVERYDAY ENGLISH FOR JAPANESE HOOKERS ?
- MICHELLE MALKIN HATES HUGH HEFNER 2.0
- ANABOLICRHINO CHALLENGED ON MIENFOKS !
- TODAY IS TODAY YOUR LUCKY DAY ???
- THE OFFICE - PRANKS ON DWIGHT ! ! !
- AWESOME UNEXPECTED TV FIGHTS ! ! !
- VIDEO DOWNLOADER BEWARE ! ! !
- Company Advertises for Condom Testers
- AMAZING BO - 5 FLYING TIGER HELICOPTER !
- NATHANS HOTDOG EATING CONTEST 2007
- MIDGET WARS ! ! !
- ODD MAN GETS TRAPPED IN A BALOON ???
- ▼ July (118)