PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Through the last-place finishes, September collapses and every agonizing failure over the past 125 years, no team has lost quite like the Philadelphia Phillies.
Futility has followed them since the day they were born, and Sunday night was no different for the losingest team sports history. Loss No. 10,000 came when Albert Pujols hit two of the St. Louis Cardinals' six homers in a 10-2 rout.
Not surprisingly, this defeat resembled the thousands that came before. Bad starting pitching, brutal relief and hardly any hitting. And, of course, lots of booing.
By the ninth inning, with the outcome inevitable, the boos turned to cheers. Fans in the sellout crowd of 44,872 thumbed their noses at the dubious mark, standing and applauding. One held up a sign that read: "10,000 N Proud" as NL MVP Ryan Howard struck out to end the game.
"I don't know too much about 10,000 losses," Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said. "I try and concentrate on the wins."
From Connie Mack Stadium to the Vet and Citizens Bank Park, the Phillies have had few moments to celebrate. The franchise, born in 1883 as the Philadelphia Quakers and briefly called the Blue Jays in the mid-1940s, fell to 8,810-10,000.
Next on the losing list: the Braves, with 9,681 defeats. It took them stints in three cities (Boston, Milwaukee and Atlanta) to reach that total. Not even those lovable losers, the Chicago Cubs, come close at 9,425.
And for those counting, it was the 58th time the Phillies have lost by that exact 10-2 score, the Elias Sports Bureau said.
The Phillies avoided the milestone for three games, but the Cardinals -- the team that caught them 43 years ago for the NL pennant in one of the biggest collapses in baseball history -- beat Philadelphia one more time.
Earlier, a banner hung from the upper deck that read "10,000 is not in the Cards." Turns out, it was on this night.
So the franchise that won only one World Series championship (1980) in 125 years, has 14 seasons of 100-plus losses, and once lost 23 straight games, now has the ugliest number of them all in a city way too familiar with losing.
It hasn't been all bad for the Phillies. They've had their share of highlights and Hall of Famers: Jim Bunning, Robin Roberts, Richie Ashburn.
The scoreboard at Citizens Bank Park is shown after Philadelphia Phillies' Ryan Howard struck out for the final out against the St. Louis Cardinals during a baseball game in Philadelphia, Sunday, July 15, 2007. The Cardinals won, 10-2, and the Phillies lost their 10,000th game.
AP - Jul 15, 10:58 pm EDT
They haven't lost 100 games since 1961, and they won the NL East three straight years from 1976-78 behind Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton and Larry Bowa. Philadelphia lost the World Series in 1983 and 1993, though it hasn't returned to the playoffs since Joe Carter's homer won the 1993 World Series for Toronto.
"I think they need to forget about it and move forward," said Greg Luzinski, the starting left fielder for the 1980 team.
After combining for 23 runs and 37 hits in the first two games of the series, the Phillies were held in check by Adam Wainwright (8-7). He threw seven shutout innings against the highest-scoring team in the National League.
Philadelphia, with a 46-45 record this year, fell five games behind the NL East-leading New York Mets. But these Phillies have long grown tired of answering questions about 10,000.
"It doesn't matter one way or the other to all the guys in here," All-Star center fielder Aaron Rowand said. "The guys in here weren't responsible for 10,000 losses, so what does it really matter to us?"
Most fans seemed rather detached from the number. After all, what's one more loss from a team responsible for countless more than 10,000 broken hearts?
Take Andrew Haines, 25, of Pitman, N.J., who still can't shake the image of Phillies closer Mitch Williams allowing the World Series-ending homer to Carter.
"It's hard to be a Phillies fan," said Haines, wearing a Phillies cap. "They're the butt of a lot of baseball jokes, and having 10,000 losses isn't helping any."
The Phillies blew their chance to push back No. 10,000 until their seven-game West Coast road trip when even the die-hards would have trouble staying awake to watch it.
Pujols hit a two-run shot in the fifth off Adam Eaton (8-6) that was followed by Chris Duncan's 17th of the year for a 6-0 lead. Pujols, Juan Encarnacion and Adam Kennedy each homered in the seventh. Ryan Ludwick added a solo shot in the eighth to make it 10-0.
Philadelphia Phillies Michael Bourne gets a hug from Aaron Rowan (33) after his solo home run against the St. Louis Cardinal in the ninth inning ended a shutout during a baseball game in Philadelphia on Sunday, July 15, 2007. The Cardinals won, 10-2, and the Phillies lost their 10,000th game.
AP - Jul 15, 10:53 pm EDT
Philadelphia broke up the shutout in the ninth when Michael Bourn hit his first major league homer and Chase Utley added an RBI double.
"When you have 125 years of existence as an organization, I think you should be the first team to get to a great milestone like that," Eaton said.
Every true fan knows of the infamous 1964 collapse when the Phillies held a 6 1/2 -game lead with 12 to play, only to blow the NL title by losing 10 straight. The Cardinals won the pennant by one game.
St. Louis manager Tony La Russa said he had the ball from the final out and would auction if off, with the money going toward his animal rescue foundation.
"That ball is history," he said. "It's nothing to be ashamed about."
Never known as lovable losers, cursed, or even affectionately as bums, the Phillies had a big head start in earning this pitiable total: They played their first game on May 1, 1883, against the Providence Grays. Of course, the Quakers lost 4-3 to Old Hoss Radbourn and started 0-8. They went on to lose 81 of 98 games in their inaugural season.
"I've been involved in over 2,900 of them, but I've also seen a lot of wins during that time," longtime Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas said.
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
Yes ALL of these women are over 50 years old, sure some of them have had some work, but I mean come on a few are grand mothers (GMILFS)!, a...
Wow Paulina still very perky at 44 ! Read about Paulas interesting childhood escaping the iron curtain THE NILES LESH PROJECT - ALL...
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
FROM "CASHBACK" BONUS TOPLESS PICTURE BECUASE SHE IS SO F-ING HOT PAGE 3’s Keeley has beaten dozens of Hollywood beauties to be ru...
OSBORN COX? - NOW THAT IS A GREAT NAME !!!
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any po...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- ► 2008 (1240)
- SCARLETT JOHANSON- TO STAR AS JENNA JAMESON ?
- JOE PESCI ENGAGED TO ANGIE EVERHART
- REPUBLICANS SHUN "YOUTUBE" DEABTE
- JAPANESE PENIS FESTIVAL ???
- 7 YEAR OLD TOTALLY ROCKS "GUITAR HERO" ! ! !
- HOLLYWOOD A-LIST BIKINI CONTEST
- NATALIE GULBIS- WORLDS SEXIEST GOLF CHAMP
- WHY FOX HATES BLOGGERS ? ? ?
- BRITNEY SPEARS - LOOKS HOT IN A BLACK DRESS !
- NEW MAUI TV STATION K - UNT ???
- HEIDI KLUM NUDE IN ARENA MAGAZINE ! ! !
- TALK SEX- DR SUE SHOWS HOW TO PLEASURE A MAN
- COP PULLS OVER AN AIRPLANE ???
- HIGHEST PAID TV STARS Oprah Winfrey : $260 million...
- HILARY DOMINATES THE YOUTUBE DEBATES !
- AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE MOVIE INTRO ! ! !
- WTF- GOVERNMENT CHARGING SOLDIER FOR LOST EQUIPMEN...
- SENATOR ROBERT BYRD (D) - "BARBARIC"
- WORST JAILBREAK EVER ! ! !
- FAMILY GUY - POLITICIANS & VOTERS
- CALIFORNIA INVADED BY GIANT SQUID ! ! !
- ARTISTIC BODY PAINTING ! ! !
- THE HEART ATTACK GRILL ???
- JESSICA ALBA - SEXY PICS IN THE AUGUST GQ ! ! !
- HILARY - "SOMETIMES THE BEST MAN FOR THE JOB IS A ...
- JOE ROGAN'S STRANGE VIEW OF MANKIND
- A VERY STRANGE "SKITTLES" COMMERCIAL
- IRAQI STAR WARS "AC-130 & UH 60 GROUND FIRE"
- SERENA WILLIAMS NUDE IN JANE MAGAZINE
- DUBAI TOWER - WORLD TALLEST 1,680 FEET
- CHINOOK THE COMPUTER THAT OWNS CHECKERS !
- WTF - BUSH HAS MADE WAR PROTEST ILLEGAL
- SIMPSONS- # 1 FROM THE TRACY ULLMAN SHOW
- PHILLIPINE JAILHOUSE VERSION OF THE "THRILLER"VIDE...
- MEXICAN MAN LOSES 200 KILOS OF FAT ! ! !
- BRITNEY ON THE BEACH, NO BIKINI, NO PROBLEM
- Poll: 'None of the above' leads GOP field
- THE SIMPSONS EXPOSE THE FOXNEWS AGENDA !
- TRICKY AD FOR HAIR REPLACEMENT SERVICE
- LINDSAY LOHAN'S NEW ANKLE BRACELETT
- BEST STUDENT TEACHER EXTRA CURRICULAR RELATIONSHIP...
- BAD ADVERTIZING PLACEMENT DECISIONS
- NEWS ANCHOR LAUGHS AT FALLING MODEL
- HOMER SIMPSON PISSES OFF PAGANS ???
- CAMERON DIAZ - BIKINI BEACH SHOW !!!
- TOP NEWS - THE INTERNET HAS CRASHED !!!
- LINDSAY LOHAN'S LITTLE SISTER ALI ! ! !
- 110 FOOT PLATFORM DIVE ! ! !
- PHILLIES RESCUE ROCKIES GROUND CREW ! ! !
- Phillies lose their 10,000th game ! ! !
- POODLE FITNESS TRAINING ???
- SIMPSONS - HOMER CLONES HOMER ! ! !
- SIMPSONS - ALI G SPOOF ! ! !
- PROTESTING GEORGE BUSH BRAZILIAN STYLE !!!
- RANDOM QUASI CELEBRITY HOTTIES ! ! !
- HOW BUSH HAS BEEN FUDGING THE NUMBERS
- REBECCA ROMIJN MARRIES FAT KID FROM "STAND BY ME" ...
- HOW STUPID ARE THE FRENCH ???
- CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW ? ? ?
- ROBOTS USED TO HANDLE EXPLOSIVE IN IRAQ
- SAVE THE INTERNET BY JULY 16TH ! ! !
- TOP TEN HOTTEST BABES OF POKER
- RUNNING OF THE BULLS IN PAMPALONA SPAIN
- WTF - Ave. Rent: $2,000 a Month, for a Studio ???
- LOUIS CK - RECREATIONAL PEOPLE HATING
- 10 YEAR OLDS KIDNAP A BABY ! ! !
- THAT SCENE FROM "DELIVERENCE" 1972
- TV REPORTER BUSTED BY BIKINI VIDEO ! ! !
- 4 DJS WITH 4TURNTABLES & FOUR 808'S - 1 SONG
- WILL AN " IPHONE " BLEND ? HELL YEAH ! ! !
- JESSICA - THE HOUSE PET HIPPO ???
- BAI LING HAS A HUGE NIPPLE ! ! !
- NEW PLANET WITH WATER FOUND ! ! !
- DAVID LETTERMAN GETS PERSONAL WITH OPTIMUS PRIME !...
- LINDSAY'S 21ST BIKINI BIRTHDAY BASH ! ! !
- MAN PICKS 40 + POUND MUSHROOM ! ! !
- FAT RICH KID HAS PHAT 16TH B-DAY PARTY ! ! !
- JAPANESE TV - DIZZY BOXING ! ! !
- EVEN THE "MPAA" PIRATES MOVIES ! ! !
- MAN LEGALLY CHANGES NAME TO OPTIMUS PRIME !
- LINDSAY LOHAN - RADAR PHOTO SHOOT VIDEO !
- USATODAY - Steady leads for Giuliani & Clinton
- GREGORIAN MONKS COVER "GREENDAY "???
- JAPANESE TV- MORE HUMAN TETRIS ! ! !
- BOEING UNVEILS NEW 787 DREAMLINER ! ! !
- A VERY UNUSUAL COMMERCIAL FOR THE WIND ?
- STEVE MARTIN JAMMIN WITH EARL SCRUGGS
- CARLOS SLIM THE RICHEST MAN IN THE WORLD !
- EVERYDAY ENGLISH FOR JAPANESE HOOKERS ?
- MICHELLE MALKIN HATES HUGH HEFNER 2.0
- ANABOLICRHINO CHALLENGED ON MIENFOKS !
- TODAY IS TODAY YOUR LUCKY DAY ???
- THE OFFICE - PRANKS ON DWIGHT ! ! !
- AWESOME UNEXPECTED TV FIGHTS ! ! !
- VIDEO DOWNLOADER BEWARE ! ! !
- Company Advertises for Condom Testers
- AMAZING BO - 5 FLYING TIGER HELICOPTER !
- NATHANS HOTDOG EATING CONTEST 2007
- MIDGET WARS ! ! !
- ODD MAN GETS TRAPPED IN A BALOON ???
- ▼ July (118)