WASHINGTON (AP) -- And the leading Republican presidential candidate is ... none of the above.
Though Rudy Giuliani leads GOP candidates, more Republican poll respondents said they didn't favor any of the candidates.
The latest Associated Press-Ipsos poll found that nearly a quarter of Republicans are unwilling to back top-tier hopefuls Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson, John McCain or Mitt Romney, and no one candidate has emerged as the clear front-runner among Christian evangelicals.
Such dissatisfaction underscores the volatility of the 2008 GOP nomination fight.
In sharp contrast, the Democratic race remains static, with Hillary Clinton holding a sizable lead over Barack Obama. The New York senator, who is white, also outpaces her Illinois counterpart, who is black, among black and Hispanic Democrats, according to a combined sample of two months of polls. Video Watch what the polls mean in New Hampshire »
A half year before voting begins, the survey shows the White House race is far more wide open on the Republican side than on the Democratic. The uneven enthusiasm about the fields also is reflected in fundraising in which Democrats outraised Republicans $80 million to $50 million from April through June, continuing a trend from the year's first three months.
"Democrats are reasonably comfortable with the range of choices. The Democratic attitude is that three or four of these guys would be fine," David Redlawsk, a University of Iowa political scientist. "The Republicans don't have that; particularly among the conservatives there's a real split. They just don't see candidates who reflect their interests and who they also view as viable."
More Republicans have become apathetic about their options over the past month.
A hefty 23 percent can't or won't say which candidate they would back, a jump from the 14 percent who took a pass in June.
Giuliani's popularity continued to decline steadily as he faced a spate of headline headaches, came under increased scrutiny and saw the potential entry of Thompson in the mix; his support is at 21 percent compared with 27 percent in June and 35 percent in March.
The former New York mayor is running virtually even with Thompson, who has become a threat without even officially entering the race. The actor and former Tennessee senator has stayed steady at 19 percent. McCain, the Arizona senator who is revamping his nearly broke campaign, clocked in a bit lower at 15 percent, while Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, remained at 11 percent.
None of the top candidates has a clear lead among Christian evangelicals, a critical part of the GOP base that has had considerable sway in past Republican primaries. Giuliani, a thrice-married backer of abortion rights and gay rights, had 20 percent support -- roughly even with Thompson and McCain who have one divorce each in their pasts. Romney, a Mormon who has been married for three decades, was in the single digits.
Among the legions of undecided Republicans is Barbara Skogman, 72, a retired legal assistant from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. She isn't at all excited about any of the prospects.
"I'm looking for a strong honest person. Do you know of any?" she joked. She had an easy time detailing why she was queasy about each of the most serious contenders. "Isn't that sad?" Then she reached a conclusion: "I just don't know."
Andrew E. Smith, a polling expert at the University of New Hampshire, said the number of voters in flux is no surprise, given that the primaries aren't for another six months. "People really don't decide who to vote for until the last couple months or days," he said.
On the Democratic side, 13 percent declined to back a candidate, and of those who picked a candidate, some may be willing to change their minds.
Barbara Hicks, 29, an English tutor in Arlington, Virginia, said her friends got her to lean toward former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards but she said, "It's not set in stone. ... I don't favor him very, very strongly."
The only other sign that Democrats are at all agitated about their choices is the continued support for Al Gore, the former vice president and 2000 Democratic presidential nominee who says he's not running. His popularity has slid some to 15 percent.
Otherwise, Clinton kept her strong advantage over Obama; her backers accounted for 36 percent of Democrats to his 20 percent, while support for Edwards remained essentially unchanged at 11 percent.
While neither Obama nor Edwards has threatened Clinton in national polls, both are giving her a chase in other areas. Obama leads her in fundraising for the primary and Edwards is running stronger in Iowa.
Nationally, the combined sample found Clinton has the edge among black Democrats, with 46 percent of their support to Obama's 33 percent. Her advantage is even wider among Hispanics; she has the support of 45 percent of them to Obama's 17 percent. New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, whose mother was Mexican, had the backing of just 5 percent of Hispanics and virtually no support among blacks.
The AP-Ipsos poll was conducted by telephone July 9 to 11 with 1,004 adults, including 346 Republicans and 477 Democrats. The margin of sampling error for the full sample is plus or minus 3 percentage points, plus or minus 5.5 percentage points for Republicans and 4.5 percentage points for Democrats. For the combined June and July samples, the margin of sampling error is plus or minus 3.5 percentage points for Republicans and plus or minus 3 percentage points for Democrats. E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
SHE IS A POTENTIAL F D I L F !!! Meghan McCain is a 23-year-old, socially liberal John Kerry voter who loves Superbad, Dita von Teese, Bud L...
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
Princess Eugenie of York, 18, daughter of Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York and Prince Andrew Wales, Duke of York, took part in a naked celebr...
ANA PAULA CONNELY JULIANA SILVA LARISSA FRANCA MICHELE MOORE SUZANNE STONEBARGER SEE THEM ALL AT WORLDOFISSAC
Wow Paulina still very perky at 44 ! Read about Paulas interesting childhood escaping the iron curtain THE NILES LESH PROJECT - ALL...
Where: Lekeitio, in the Basque region of Spain. What: Antzar Eguna or "Goose Day" has its roots in at least 350 years of Spanish i...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- ► 2008 (1240)
- SCARLETT JOHANSON- TO STAR AS JENNA JAMESON ?
- JOE PESCI ENGAGED TO ANGIE EVERHART
- REPUBLICANS SHUN "YOUTUBE" DEABTE
- JAPANESE PENIS FESTIVAL ???
- 7 YEAR OLD TOTALLY ROCKS "GUITAR HERO" ! ! !
- HOLLYWOOD A-LIST BIKINI CONTEST
- NATALIE GULBIS- WORLDS SEXIEST GOLF CHAMP
- WHY FOX HATES BLOGGERS ? ? ?
- BRITNEY SPEARS - LOOKS HOT IN A BLACK DRESS !
- NEW MAUI TV STATION K - UNT ???
- HEIDI KLUM NUDE IN ARENA MAGAZINE ! ! !
- TALK SEX- DR SUE SHOWS HOW TO PLEASURE A MAN
- COP PULLS OVER AN AIRPLANE ???
- HIGHEST PAID TV STARS Oprah Winfrey : $260 million...
- HILARY DOMINATES THE YOUTUBE DEBATES !
- AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE MOVIE INTRO ! ! !
- WTF- GOVERNMENT CHARGING SOLDIER FOR LOST EQUIPMEN...
- SENATOR ROBERT BYRD (D) - "BARBARIC"
- WORST JAILBREAK EVER ! ! !
- FAMILY GUY - POLITICIANS & VOTERS
- CALIFORNIA INVADED BY GIANT SQUID ! ! !
- ARTISTIC BODY PAINTING ! ! !
- THE HEART ATTACK GRILL ???
- JESSICA ALBA - SEXY PICS IN THE AUGUST GQ ! ! !
- HILARY - "SOMETIMES THE BEST MAN FOR THE JOB IS A ...
- JOE ROGAN'S STRANGE VIEW OF MANKIND
- A VERY STRANGE "SKITTLES" COMMERCIAL
- IRAQI STAR WARS "AC-130 & UH 60 GROUND FIRE"
- SERENA WILLIAMS NUDE IN JANE MAGAZINE
- DUBAI TOWER - WORLD TALLEST 1,680 FEET
- CHINOOK THE COMPUTER THAT OWNS CHECKERS !
- WTF - BUSH HAS MADE WAR PROTEST ILLEGAL
- SIMPSONS- # 1 FROM THE TRACY ULLMAN SHOW
- PHILLIPINE JAILHOUSE VERSION OF THE "THRILLER"VIDE...
- MEXICAN MAN LOSES 200 KILOS OF FAT ! ! !
- BRITNEY ON THE BEACH, NO BIKINI, NO PROBLEM
- Poll: 'None of the above' leads GOP field
- THE SIMPSONS EXPOSE THE FOXNEWS AGENDA !
- TRICKY AD FOR HAIR REPLACEMENT SERVICE
- LINDSAY LOHAN'S NEW ANKLE BRACELETT
- BEST STUDENT TEACHER EXTRA CURRICULAR RELATIONSHIP...
- BAD ADVERTIZING PLACEMENT DECISIONS
- NEWS ANCHOR LAUGHS AT FALLING MODEL
- HOMER SIMPSON PISSES OFF PAGANS ???
- CAMERON DIAZ - BIKINI BEACH SHOW !!!
- TOP NEWS - THE INTERNET HAS CRASHED !!!
- LINDSAY LOHAN'S LITTLE SISTER ALI ! ! !
- 110 FOOT PLATFORM DIVE ! ! !
- PHILLIES RESCUE ROCKIES GROUND CREW ! ! !
- Phillies lose their 10,000th game ! ! !
- POODLE FITNESS TRAINING ???
- SIMPSONS - HOMER CLONES HOMER ! ! !
- SIMPSONS - ALI G SPOOF ! ! !
- PROTESTING GEORGE BUSH BRAZILIAN STYLE !!!
- RANDOM QUASI CELEBRITY HOTTIES ! ! !
- HOW BUSH HAS BEEN FUDGING THE NUMBERS
- REBECCA ROMIJN MARRIES FAT KID FROM "STAND BY ME" ...
- HOW STUPID ARE THE FRENCH ???
- CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW ? ? ?
- ROBOTS USED TO HANDLE EXPLOSIVE IN IRAQ
- SAVE THE INTERNET BY JULY 16TH ! ! !
- TOP TEN HOTTEST BABES OF POKER
- RUNNING OF THE BULLS IN PAMPALONA SPAIN
- WTF - Ave. Rent: $2,000 a Month, for a Studio ???
- LOUIS CK - RECREATIONAL PEOPLE HATING
- 10 YEAR OLDS KIDNAP A BABY ! ! !
- THAT SCENE FROM "DELIVERENCE" 1972
- TV REPORTER BUSTED BY BIKINI VIDEO ! ! !
- 4 DJS WITH 4TURNTABLES & FOUR 808'S - 1 SONG
- WILL AN " IPHONE " BLEND ? HELL YEAH ! ! !
- JESSICA - THE HOUSE PET HIPPO ???
- BAI LING HAS A HUGE NIPPLE ! ! !
- NEW PLANET WITH WATER FOUND ! ! !
- DAVID LETTERMAN GETS PERSONAL WITH OPTIMUS PRIME !...
- LINDSAY'S 21ST BIKINI BIRTHDAY BASH ! ! !
- MAN PICKS 40 + POUND MUSHROOM ! ! !
- FAT RICH KID HAS PHAT 16TH B-DAY PARTY ! ! !
- JAPANESE TV - DIZZY BOXING ! ! !
- EVEN THE "MPAA" PIRATES MOVIES ! ! !
- MAN LEGALLY CHANGES NAME TO OPTIMUS PRIME !
- LINDSAY LOHAN - RADAR PHOTO SHOOT VIDEO !
- USATODAY - Steady leads for Giuliani & Clinton
- GREGORIAN MONKS COVER "GREENDAY "???
- JAPANESE TV- MORE HUMAN TETRIS ! ! !
- BOEING UNVEILS NEW 787 DREAMLINER ! ! !
- A VERY UNUSUAL COMMERCIAL FOR THE WIND ?
- STEVE MARTIN JAMMIN WITH EARL SCRUGGS
- CARLOS SLIM THE RICHEST MAN IN THE WORLD !
- EVERYDAY ENGLISH FOR JAPANESE HOOKERS ?
- MICHELLE MALKIN HATES HUGH HEFNER 2.0
- ANABOLICRHINO CHALLENGED ON MIENFOKS !
- TODAY IS TODAY YOUR LUCKY DAY ???
- THE OFFICE - PRANKS ON DWIGHT ! ! !
- AWESOME UNEXPECTED TV FIGHTS ! ! !
- VIDEO DOWNLOADER BEWARE ! ! !
- Company Advertises for Condom Testers
- AMAZING BO - 5 FLYING TIGER HELICOPTER !
- NATHANS HOTDOG EATING CONTEST 2007
- MIDGET WARS ! ! !
- ODD MAN GETS TRAPPED IN A BALOON ???
- ▼ July (118)