Tuesday, July 24, 2007
CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE DEBATE Q&A
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) - Young, Internet-savvy voters challenged Democratic presidential hopefuls on Iraq, the military draft and the candidates' own place in a broken political system, playing starring roles in a provocative, video-driven debate Monday night.
"Wassup?" came the first question, from a voter named Zach, after another, named Chris, opened the CNN-YouTube debate with a barb aimed at the entire eight-candidate field: "Can you as politicians ... actually answer questions rather than beat around the bush?"
The answer was a qualified yes. The candidates faced a slew of blunt questions—from earnest to the ridiculous—and, in many cases, responded in kind.
To Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois: Are you black enough? "You know, when I'm catching a cab in Manhattan ... in the past, I think I've given my credentials," he replied.
To Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York: Are you feminine enough? "I couldn't run as anything other than a woman," she said.
Her answer drew a challenge from former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina, who said he was the best advocate for women among the contenders. "I have the strongest, boldest ideas," he said.
Posing a question that few, if any, of the candidates had fielded before, one voter asked whether young women should register with the Selective Service, as do young men in case the draft is reinstated. Clinton, Obama and Sen. Chris Dodd of Connecticut said yes.
The debate featured questions submitted to the online video community YouTube and screened by the all-news cable TV network. A talking snowman, two rednecks and a woman speaking from her bathroom were among the odd, Internet-age twists to the oldest forum in politics—a debate.
A Clio, Mich., man named Jered asked about gun control while brandishing an automatic weapon.
"He needs help," Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware snapped.
When was the last time a presidential candidate was forced to promise to work at minimum wage? That is effectively what happened when a voter asked whether the candidates would serve four years at $5.85 an hour rather than the president's annual $400,000 salary.
"Sure," replied Clinton.
The gathering was held at the military college of The Citadel in South Carolina, site of one of the earliest primaries—Jan. 29. Fittingly, the Democrats skirmished over the Iraq war and other foreign policy issues.
Asked if Democrats are playing politics with the war, Rep. Dennis Kucinich of Ohio said yes. "The Democrats have failed the American people," he said.
Former Alaska Sen. Mike Gravel said U.S. soldiers are dying in vain. No other candidate would go that far.
Obama took the opportunity to take a slap at his rivals who voted to give Bush authority to invade Iraq, including Clinton and Edwards. "The time to ask how we were going to get out of Iraq was before we went in," he said, without naming Clinton or Edwards.
Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico said he's the only candidate pledging to remove troops within six months. Biden said Richardson's goal was unrealistic.
Sensing her position was under attack, Clinton bristled as she argued that U.S. troops must be removed from Iraq "safely and orderly and carefully."
Obama said he would be willing to meet individually with the leaders of Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea during the first year of his presidency. "The notion that somehow not talking to countries is punishment to them, which has been the guiding diplomatic principle of this administration, is ridiculous," Obama said to applause.
Clinton immediately disagreed and said she would send envoys first to find out their intentions. "I don't want to be used for propaganda purposes," she said. Her campaign quickly posted the video on her Web site, trying to draw a distinction with her chief rival and show she has a different understanding of foreign policy.
On another foreign policy topic, Biden said he would send 2,500 U.S. troops to Darfur to try to end the civil war there. It took three tries to get Clinton to answer the same questions. She finally said U.S. ground troops don't belong in the fight because they are overextended in Iraq.
She also refused to call herself a liberal. "I prefer the word progressive, which has a real American meaning ...," she said.
Clinton, Obama and Edwards lead in most polls of the Democratic field.
The opening question challenged Democrats to do better than the failed leadership in Congress and the White House. "How are you going to be any different?" the voter asked.
Obama, a freshmen lawmaker trying to appeal to the public's thirst for change, replied, "One of the things I bring is a perspective ... that says Washington has to change."
Clinton claimed she has a 35-year-record as an agent of change. "The issue is which of us is to lead on Day One."
The Democratic gathering marked a turning point in political communications. CNN, a landmark all-news cable network when founded 27 years ago, is now part of a media establishment coming to terms with upstarts like the 2 1/2-year-old online video community.
The debate aside, YouTube has already left its mark on politics. Republican George Allen lost his Senate seat and a likely spot in the 2008 presidential race after a YouTube video caught him referring to a man of South Asian decent as "macaca"—an ethnic slur in some countries.
In the presidential campaign, buzz-worthy video clips have included Bill and Hillary Clinton's spoof of "The Sopranos" finale, Edwards' combing his hair to the tune "I Feel Pretty," and a buxom model professing her crush on Obama.
In the spirit of the era, each candidate was asked to produce his or her own video.
Edwards' video poked fun at the attention paid to his pricey haircuts at the expense of more serious issues. Set to the theme from the 1968 musical "Hair," the video opens with several close-up of hairdos, giving way to less frivolous images including several from Iraq. It ends with a white-on-black slide: "What really matters? You Choose"
Clinton's video-ad ended with the kicker, "Sometimes the best man for a job is a woman."
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
Wow Paulina still very perky at 44 ! Read about Paulas interesting childhood escaping the iron curtain THE NILES LESH PROJECT - ALL...
Where: Lekeitio, in the Basque region of Spain. What: Antzar Eguna or "Goose Day" has its roots in at least 350 years of Spanish i...
OSBORN COX? - NOW THAT IS A GREAT NAME !!!
Larry Flynt, the wheelchair bound self-proclaimed "smut peddler" and "1st Amendment Crusader" has published photos of Na...
A ustralian model Megan Gale has been cast as Wonder Woman and Armie Hammer has been cast as Batman in the upcoming "Justice League of ...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- ► 2008 (1240)
- SCARLETT JOHANSON- TO STAR AS JENNA JAMESON ?
- JOE PESCI ENGAGED TO ANGIE EVERHART
- REPUBLICANS SHUN "YOUTUBE" DEABTE
- JAPANESE PENIS FESTIVAL ???
- 7 YEAR OLD TOTALLY ROCKS "GUITAR HERO" ! ! !
- HOLLYWOOD A-LIST BIKINI CONTEST
- NATALIE GULBIS- WORLDS SEXIEST GOLF CHAMP
- WHY FOX HATES BLOGGERS ? ? ?
- BRITNEY SPEARS - LOOKS HOT IN A BLACK DRESS !
- NEW MAUI TV STATION K - UNT ???
- HEIDI KLUM NUDE IN ARENA MAGAZINE ! ! !
- TALK SEX- DR SUE SHOWS HOW TO PLEASURE A MAN
- COP PULLS OVER AN AIRPLANE ???
- HIGHEST PAID TV STARS Oprah Winfrey : $260 million...
- HILARY DOMINATES THE YOUTUBE DEBATES !
- AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE MOVIE INTRO ! ! !
- WTF- GOVERNMENT CHARGING SOLDIER FOR LOST EQUIPMEN...
- SENATOR ROBERT BYRD (D) - "BARBARIC"
- WORST JAILBREAK EVER ! ! !
- FAMILY GUY - POLITICIANS & VOTERS
- CALIFORNIA INVADED BY GIANT SQUID ! ! !
- ARTISTIC BODY PAINTING ! ! !
- THE HEART ATTACK GRILL ???
- JESSICA ALBA - SEXY PICS IN THE AUGUST GQ ! ! !
- HILARY - "SOMETIMES THE BEST MAN FOR THE JOB IS A ...
- JOE ROGAN'S STRANGE VIEW OF MANKIND
- A VERY STRANGE "SKITTLES" COMMERCIAL
- IRAQI STAR WARS "AC-130 & UH 60 GROUND FIRE"
- SERENA WILLIAMS NUDE IN JANE MAGAZINE
- DUBAI TOWER - WORLD TALLEST 1,680 FEET
- CHINOOK THE COMPUTER THAT OWNS CHECKERS !
- WTF - BUSH HAS MADE WAR PROTEST ILLEGAL
- SIMPSONS- # 1 FROM THE TRACY ULLMAN SHOW
- PHILLIPINE JAILHOUSE VERSION OF THE "THRILLER"VIDE...
- MEXICAN MAN LOSES 200 KILOS OF FAT ! ! !
- BRITNEY ON THE BEACH, NO BIKINI, NO PROBLEM
- Poll: 'None of the above' leads GOP field
- THE SIMPSONS EXPOSE THE FOXNEWS AGENDA !
- TRICKY AD FOR HAIR REPLACEMENT SERVICE
- LINDSAY LOHAN'S NEW ANKLE BRACELETT
- BEST STUDENT TEACHER EXTRA CURRICULAR RELATIONSHIP...
- BAD ADVERTIZING PLACEMENT DECISIONS
- NEWS ANCHOR LAUGHS AT FALLING MODEL
- HOMER SIMPSON PISSES OFF PAGANS ???
- CAMERON DIAZ - BIKINI BEACH SHOW !!!
- TOP NEWS - THE INTERNET HAS CRASHED !!!
- LINDSAY LOHAN'S LITTLE SISTER ALI ! ! !
- 110 FOOT PLATFORM DIVE ! ! !
- PHILLIES RESCUE ROCKIES GROUND CREW ! ! !
- Phillies lose their 10,000th game ! ! !
- POODLE FITNESS TRAINING ???
- SIMPSONS - HOMER CLONES HOMER ! ! !
- SIMPSONS - ALI G SPOOF ! ! !
- PROTESTING GEORGE BUSH BRAZILIAN STYLE !!!
- RANDOM QUASI CELEBRITY HOTTIES ! ! !
- HOW BUSH HAS BEEN FUDGING THE NUMBERS
- REBECCA ROMIJN MARRIES FAT KID FROM "STAND BY ME" ...
- HOW STUPID ARE THE FRENCH ???
- CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW ? ? ?
- ROBOTS USED TO HANDLE EXPLOSIVE IN IRAQ
- SAVE THE INTERNET BY JULY 16TH ! ! !
- TOP TEN HOTTEST BABES OF POKER
- RUNNING OF THE BULLS IN PAMPALONA SPAIN
- WTF - Ave. Rent: $2,000 a Month, for a Studio ???
- LOUIS CK - RECREATIONAL PEOPLE HATING
- 10 YEAR OLDS KIDNAP A BABY ! ! !
- THAT SCENE FROM "DELIVERENCE" 1972
- TV REPORTER BUSTED BY BIKINI VIDEO ! ! !
- 4 DJS WITH 4TURNTABLES & FOUR 808'S - 1 SONG
- WILL AN " IPHONE " BLEND ? HELL YEAH ! ! !
- JESSICA - THE HOUSE PET HIPPO ???
- BAI LING HAS A HUGE NIPPLE ! ! !
- NEW PLANET WITH WATER FOUND ! ! !
- DAVID LETTERMAN GETS PERSONAL WITH OPTIMUS PRIME !...
- LINDSAY'S 21ST BIKINI BIRTHDAY BASH ! ! !
- MAN PICKS 40 + POUND MUSHROOM ! ! !
- FAT RICH KID HAS PHAT 16TH B-DAY PARTY ! ! !
- JAPANESE TV - DIZZY BOXING ! ! !
- EVEN THE "MPAA" PIRATES MOVIES ! ! !
- MAN LEGALLY CHANGES NAME TO OPTIMUS PRIME !
- LINDSAY LOHAN - RADAR PHOTO SHOOT VIDEO !
- USATODAY - Steady leads for Giuliani & Clinton
- GREGORIAN MONKS COVER "GREENDAY "???
- JAPANESE TV- MORE HUMAN TETRIS ! ! !
- BOEING UNVEILS NEW 787 DREAMLINER ! ! !
- A VERY UNUSUAL COMMERCIAL FOR THE WIND ?
- STEVE MARTIN JAMMIN WITH EARL SCRUGGS
- CARLOS SLIM THE RICHEST MAN IN THE WORLD !
- EVERYDAY ENGLISH FOR JAPANESE HOOKERS ?
- MICHELLE MALKIN HATES HUGH HEFNER 2.0
- ANABOLICRHINO CHALLENGED ON MIENFOKS !
- TODAY IS TODAY YOUR LUCKY DAY ???
- THE OFFICE - PRANKS ON DWIGHT ! ! !
- AWESOME UNEXPECTED TV FIGHTS ! ! !
- VIDEO DOWNLOADER BEWARE ! ! !
- Company Advertises for Condom Testers
- AMAZING BO - 5 FLYING TIGER HELICOPTER !
- NATHANS HOTDOG EATING CONTEST 2007
- MIDGET WARS ! ! !
- ODD MAN GETS TRAPPED IN A BALOON ???
- ▼ July (118)