CAN YOU BEAT CHINOOK? FIND OUT HERE
Chinook, the unbeatable checkers-playing computer
Scientists at the University of Alberta report that they've built an unbeatable checkers-playing computer. Their machine, Chinook, has solved checkers: It proves that if two players play perfectly, making no mistakes, the game of checkers will result in a draw.
The proof required analyzing 500 billion billion checkers positions -- 5 x 1020 -- a computational process that began in 1989 and has been running on hundreds of processors almost continuously since. Chinook now knows everything about checkers, the perfect response to any move, and the best that any human can do is drive Chinook to a draw. You can never win.
Checkers grandmasters have long suspected that perfect play would result in a draw, but until now, there has been no definitive proof. The first checkers-playing computer was created in 1963 by the artificial intelligence pioneer Arthur Samuel; the computer managed to win a single game against a human.
In 1989, Jonathan Schaeffer, who now heads the computer science department at Alberta, created Chinook with the aim of marshaling parallel processing and lots of storage to take on the world's best players. In 1990, Chinook became good enough to enter the checkers World Championships, and in 1992, it faced off against the world champion -- and the best checkers player who ever lived -- Marion Tinsley. Tinsley narrowly defeated Chinook. Then, in 1994, the pair had a rematch, but Tinsley took ill and withdrew in the middle of the game. He died of pancreatic cancer a short while later.
"The unfinished Tinsley match left the question unanswered as to who was the better player," Schaeffer and his colleagues write in this week's issue of the journal Science, where their paper is published. But now the answer is clear: "As great as Tinsley was, he occasionally made losing oversights -- he was human after all," they say. Chinook will not make mistakes, and thus becomes the greatest checkers player of all time.
The research makes checkers "the most challenging popular game to be solved to date, roughly one million times more complex that Connect Four," which was solved in 1989 (if two players play Connect Four perfectly, the first player will always either win or draw).
Their work also highlights the utility of raw computing power in intense artificial intelligence applications. In the early days of A.I. research, Schaeffer and his colleagues note, scientists often tried to make computers mimic human thought. But this approach led to difficulties, and they found that "human-like strategies are not necessarily the best computational strategies."
A better method for solving complex tasks like checkers, A.I. theorists discovered, was "brute force" -- rather than trying to master human strategies, computers would rely on "limited knowledge" of the specifics of the game, and instead use superior processing power to search and analyze all possible moves. That's the approach taken by chess-playing computers -- such as IBM's Deep Blue, which beat champion Gary Kasparov in 1997 -- and it's also what Chinook does with checkers.
That their machine managed to solve the game, the researchers say, "provides compelling evidence of the power of limited-knowledge approaches to artificial intelligence." This method will become even more powerful as computers themselves get faster and cheaper, they note. But solving games as complex as chess is still far off.
"Checkers has roughly the square root of the number of positions in chess (somewhere in the 1040-1050 range)," they write. "Given the effort required to solve checkers, chess will remain unsolved for a long time, barring the invention of new technology." But disk-flipping game othello -- solving that is possible, they say. The effort "will require considerably more resources than were needed to solve checkers," but soon we'll have an unbeatable othello-playing machine, too
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any po...
Donald Trump, a co-owner of “Miss USA”, “Miss Universe” and “Miss Teen USA” pageants, has come up with a new reality TV show which will take...
Austria drew first blood early today when their topless women's football team beat Germany 10-5. The traditional swapping of shirts afte...
SADLY ITS ON IN THE UK ONLY U ndressing the nation: The style gurus strip down to their bras ITV has been bombarded with complaints after a...
Wow Paulina still very perky at 44 ! Read about Paulas interesting childhood escaping the iron curtain THE NILES LESH PROJECT - ALL...
Larry Flynt, the wheelchair bound self-proclaimed "smut peddler" and "1st Amendment Crusader" has published photos of Na...
Eating fresh watermelon could help men pep up their love lives, scientists said yesterday. The fruit has a similar effect to taking Viagra, ...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- ► 2008 (1240)
- SCARLETT JOHANSON- TO STAR AS JENNA JAMESON ?
- JOE PESCI ENGAGED TO ANGIE EVERHART
- REPUBLICANS SHUN "YOUTUBE" DEABTE
- JAPANESE PENIS FESTIVAL ???
- 7 YEAR OLD TOTALLY ROCKS "GUITAR HERO" ! ! !
- HOLLYWOOD A-LIST BIKINI CONTEST
- NATALIE GULBIS- WORLDS SEXIEST GOLF CHAMP
- WHY FOX HATES BLOGGERS ? ? ?
- BRITNEY SPEARS - LOOKS HOT IN A BLACK DRESS !
- NEW MAUI TV STATION K - UNT ???
- HEIDI KLUM NUDE IN ARENA MAGAZINE ! ! !
- TALK SEX- DR SUE SHOWS HOW TO PLEASURE A MAN
- COP PULLS OVER AN AIRPLANE ???
- HIGHEST PAID TV STARS Oprah Winfrey : $260 million...
- HILARY DOMINATES THE YOUTUBE DEBATES !
- AQUA TEEN HUNGER FORCE MOVIE INTRO ! ! !
- WTF- GOVERNMENT CHARGING SOLDIER FOR LOST EQUIPMEN...
- SENATOR ROBERT BYRD (D) - "BARBARIC"
- WORST JAILBREAK EVER ! ! !
- FAMILY GUY - POLITICIANS & VOTERS
- CALIFORNIA INVADED BY GIANT SQUID ! ! !
- ARTISTIC BODY PAINTING ! ! !
- THE HEART ATTACK GRILL ???
- JESSICA ALBA - SEXY PICS IN THE AUGUST GQ ! ! !
- HILARY - "SOMETIMES THE BEST MAN FOR THE JOB IS A ...
- JOE ROGAN'S STRANGE VIEW OF MANKIND
- A VERY STRANGE "SKITTLES" COMMERCIAL
- IRAQI STAR WARS "AC-130 & UH 60 GROUND FIRE"
- SERENA WILLIAMS NUDE IN JANE MAGAZINE
- DUBAI TOWER - WORLD TALLEST 1,680 FEET
- CHINOOK THE COMPUTER THAT OWNS CHECKERS !
- WTF - BUSH HAS MADE WAR PROTEST ILLEGAL
- SIMPSONS- # 1 FROM THE TRACY ULLMAN SHOW
- PHILLIPINE JAILHOUSE VERSION OF THE "THRILLER"VIDE...
- MEXICAN MAN LOSES 200 KILOS OF FAT ! ! !
- BRITNEY ON THE BEACH, NO BIKINI, NO PROBLEM
- Poll: 'None of the above' leads GOP field
- THE SIMPSONS EXPOSE THE FOXNEWS AGENDA !
- TRICKY AD FOR HAIR REPLACEMENT SERVICE
- LINDSAY LOHAN'S NEW ANKLE BRACELETT
- BEST STUDENT TEACHER EXTRA CURRICULAR RELATIONSHIP...
- BAD ADVERTIZING PLACEMENT DECISIONS
- NEWS ANCHOR LAUGHS AT FALLING MODEL
- HOMER SIMPSON PISSES OFF PAGANS ???
- CAMERON DIAZ - BIKINI BEACH SHOW !!!
- TOP NEWS - THE INTERNET HAS CRASHED !!!
- LINDSAY LOHAN'S LITTLE SISTER ALI ! ! !
- 110 FOOT PLATFORM DIVE ! ! !
- PHILLIES RESCUE ROCKIES GROUND CREW ! ! !
- Phillies lose their 10,000th game ! ! !
- POODLE FITNESS TRAINING ???
- SIMPSONS - HOMER CLONES HOMER ! ! !
- SIMPSONS - ALI G SPOOF ! ! !
- PROTESTING GEORGE BUSH BRAZILIAN STYLE !!!
- RANDOM QUASI CELEBRITY HOTTIES ! ! !
- HOW BUSH HAS BEEN FUDGING THE NUMBERS
- REBECCA ROMIJN MARRIES FAT KID FROM "STAND BY ME" ...
- HOW STUPID ARE THE FRENCH ???
- CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW ? ? ?
- ROBOTS USED TO HANDLE EXPLOSIVE IN IRAQ
- SAVE THE INTERNET BY JULY 16TH ! ! !
- TOP TEN HOTTEST BABES OF POKER
- RUNNING OF THE BULLS IN PAMPALONA SPAIN
- WTF - Ave. Rent: $2,000 a Month, for a Studio ???
- LOUIS CK - RECREATIONAL PEOPLE HATING
- 10 YEAR OLDS KIDNAP A BABY ! ! !
- THAT SCENE FROM "DELIVERENCE" 1972
- TV REPORTER BUSTED BY BIKINI VIDEO ! ! !
- 4 DJS WITH 4TURNTABLES & FOUR 808'S - 1 SONG
- WILL AN " IPHONE " BLEND ? HELL YEAH ! ! !
- JESSICA - THE HOUSE PET HIPPO ???
- BAI LING HAS A HUGE NIPPLE ! ! !
- NEW PLANET WITH WATER FOUND ! ! !
- DAVID LETTERMAN GETS PERSONAL WITH OPTIMUS PRIME !...
- LINDSAY'S 21ST BIKINI BIRTHDAY BASH ! ! !
- MAN PICKS 40 + POUND MUSHROOM ! ! !
- FAT RICH KID HAS PHAT 16TH B-DAY PARTY ! ! !
- JAPANESE TV - DIZZY BOXING ! ! !
- EVEN THE "MPAA" PIRATES MOVIES ! ! !
- MAN LEGALLY CHANGES NAME TO OPTIMUS PRIME !
- LINDSAY LOHAN - RADAR PHOTO SHOOT VIDEO !
- USATODAY - Steady leads for Giuliani & Clinton
- GREGORIAN MONKS COVER "GREENDAY "???
- JAPANESE TV- MORE HUMAN TETRIS ! ! !
- BOEING UNVEILS NEW 787 DREAMLINER ! ! !
- A VERY UNUSUAL COMMERCIAL FOR THE WIND ?
- STEVE MARTIN JAMMIN WITH EARL SCRUGGS
- CARLOS SLIM THE RICHEST MAN IN THE WORLD !
- EVERYDAY ENGLISH FOR JAPANESE HOOKERS ?
- MICHELLE MALKIN HATES HUGH HEFNER 2.0
- ANABOLICRHINO CHALLENGED ON MIENFOKS !
- TODAY IS TODAY YOUR LUCKY DAY ???
- THE OFFICE - PRANKS ON DWIGHT ! ! !
- AWESOME UNEXPECTED TV FIGHTS ! ! !
- VIDEO DOWNLOADER BEWARE ! ! !
- Company Advertises for Condom Testers
- AMAZING BO - 5 FLYING TIGER HELICOPTER !
- NATHANS HOTDOG EATING CONTEST 2007
- MIDGET WARS ! ! !
- ODD MAN GETS TRAPPED IN A BALOON ???
- ▼ July (118)