Sunday, January 27, 2008
Kirsten Haglund - MISS AMERICA 2008 !!!
Miss Michigan Kirsten Haglund, a 19-year-old aspiring Broadway star, was crowned Miss America 2008 on Saturday in a live show billed as the unveiling of the 87-year-old pageant's new, hipper look.
Reality Check' viewers were invited to text message votes for favorite contestant. Miss Utah Jill Stevens was named "America's Choice." The Army medic, who served in Afghanistan, didn't make the top 10, but took the loss in stride. Her fellow contestants joined her as she did a round of push-ups for the audience before making her exit. Source: AP
Haglund, of Farmington Hills, Mich., sang "Over the Rainbow" and walked a crowd-pleasing strut in a black and gold bikini to clinch the title. She beat Miss Indiana Nicole Elizabeth Rash, the first runner up, and Miss Washington Elyse Umemoto, the second runner up for the $50,000 scholarship and year of travel that comes with the crown.
Haglund, who studies music at the University of Cincinnati, grew up in a pageant family. Her mother is an active volunteer, and her grandmother Iora Hunt, competed for the crown as Miss Michigan 1944. Hunt joined Haglund at a news conference.
"The only words that come to my mind is that this is a dream come true, not just for me but for my family as well," Haglund said. "I'm not just standing up here alone."
Haglund, a cheery, classic blond, wore a revealing silver sequined dress and black bikini during the evening gown and swimsuit portions of the pageant. As her platform issue, she promised to advocate for awareness of eating disorders, an illness from which she has recovered.
The crowning at the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino on the Las Vegas Strip was aired for the first time on TLC. It capped a four-week reality series, "Miss America: Reality Check," which followed the contestants as they were pushed to shed the dated look of Miss Americas past and adopt a more updated style.
The show was the latest in a series of attempts to find an audience with a younger demographic after more than a decade of declining ratings.
The 52 newly made-over aspiring beauty queens who sought the top tiara sported updated hairdos, sassy attitudes and red carpet-worthy fashion throughout the competition.
Usually tame by modern TV standards, the swimwear competition kicked it up a notch. Most contestants wore black bikinis, and some struck provocative poses and twirled as the audience howled. Contestants also wore blue jeans and added a bit of humor to the traditional opening number, the parade of states.
Haglund's moves won howls from the audience. "I think for the audience, the swimwear and evening wear was much more entertaining, am I right?" Haglund said when asked about the show's new look.
The changes included a chance for "Reality Check" viewers to text message votes for their favorite contestant. Miss Utah, Jill Stevens, an Army medic who served in Afghanistan , was named "America's Choice."
Stevens did not make to the final 10, but she took the disappointment with pluck. She dropped and gave the audience push ups before joining the other losers on a riser on the side.
Producers added a twist to the interview portion, as well. They asked people on the street to pose questions, and the results were edgier than usual. Contestents were asked about binge drinking, HIV and Britney Spears ' pregnant younger sister, Jamie Lynn.
"No I don't think she should be fired," Miss Indiana Nicole Elizabeth Rash said. "They're still people, they're still human beings. We all deserve second chances."
The long-struggling pageant had promised a new look for this year's beauty battle. "Entertainment Tonight" reporter Mark Steines was the master of ceremonies of the show. Clinton Kelly of TLC's hit "What Not to Wear" also helped with the hosting duties. Kelly had instructed the girls on how to update their looks during the reality show.
The pageant sounded different, too. A deejay spun dance music from turntables set up on stage. Contestants danced and waved to the audience during commercials breaks. The losers were seated on risers on one side of the stage, while the parents of the finalists, in black tie, were seated on the other.
The show was the latest in a series of attempts to find a new audience after more than a decade of declining ratings. The fading institution was dropped from network television in 2004. It spent a two-year stint on Country Music Television before being picked up last summer by TLC, a cable channel reaching 93 million homes in the U.S.
TLC added the pageant to its reality-TV stable, and announced plans to reinvent the look of the show and find an "It girl" ready for modern celebrity.
In addition to the $50,000 scholarship, Haglund will embark on a year of promoting the pageant, her platform issue and the Children's Miracle Network, a pageant partner.
Wow Paulina still very perky at 44 ! Read about Paulas interesting childhood escaping the iron curtain THE NILES LESH PROJECT - ALL...
3PLT: Saturday Morning Alive Show #1 - All Rights Reserved 2010 - The Niles Lesh Project Follow NILES LESH / MIENFOKS on TWITTER !
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
SHE IS A POTENTIAL F D I L F !!! Meghan McCain is a 23-year-old, socially liberal John Kerry voter who loves Superbad, Dita von Teese, Bud L...
SADLY ITS ON IN THE UK ONLY U ndressing the nation: The style gurus strip down to their bras ITV has been bombarded with complaints after a...
Chloe Marshall has recently won the Miss Surrey 2008 beauty pageant. She will now advance to the Miss England contest, which is open to fema...
CHISTINA es un buen deporte, sobre todo cuando pesa su propia pechos!
Emily Sander, missing 18 year old college student from El Dorado, Kansas is believed to be the victim of foul play. Her friends have shared ...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- Emanuela De Paula the new Victoria's Secret girl
- NICOLE EGGERT STILL IN CHARGE AT 36
- JULIE NEWMAR "ORIGINAL CATWOMAN" AT 70 !
- CONDOM MAN ON THE BEACH ???
- ALESANDRA AMBROSIO - SEXY SOON TO BE MILF
- LATE NIGHT TALK SHOW WARS "WHO MADE WHO" ?
- TOP TEN THINGS YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR FROM A GUY D...
- PAMPITA - MIRA ! ! !
- LUCY PINDER " WOW "
- THE TREV - SOLAR POWERED VEHICLE ! ! !
- CATHERINE MCNEIL - NUMERO 90 - FEBRUARY
- ...AND YOU THOUGHT IT COULDN'T GET WORSE ?
- COMSETIC SURGERY RECORD HOLDERS ! ! !
- LINGERIE BOWL 2008 - BIG HITS ! ! !
- AVA FIORE - Playboy model - 2002 Golden Gloves cha...
- Kirsten Haglund - MISS AMERICA 2008 !!!
- ISABELLA FONTANA AS AMY WINEHOUSE ???
- BIGFOOT SITED BY MARS ROVER ???
- CHILE - HOME OF THE WORLDS LARGEST POOL
- "FORGET ME NOT" GPS - PANTIES ???
- MIRACLES, AGAINST THE ODDS & COINCIDENCE ?
- FOXNEWS - COOKOO FOR COCO PUFFS ???
- JANICE DICKENSON - ORIGINAL SUPERMODEL AT 52 !
- MORE HOTTIES IN ROTATION !!!
- PARIS FASHON WEEK - RUNWAY SHOTS
- SAO PAULO FASHON WEEK - RUNWAY SHOTS ! ! !
- MARIAH CAREY - HOT AND TOPLESS !!!
- JESUS APPEARS IN A POTATO ???
- EVERYBODY IS EXCITED ABOUT THE GIANTS OF NY
- SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR - LOVES VASELINE ???
- DEMI MOORE POSES FOR "V" MAGAZINE
- ESQUIRE FEBRUARY ISSUE B&W SHOTS
- JERRY O' CONNELL ON CRUISE CONTROL ???
- STEVENSVILLE, TEXAS - WORLDS NEWEST UFO CAPITAL !
- THE PACKER "BIKINI GIRLS" NFC CHAMPIONSHIP
- ALLAN MELVIN "SAM THE BUTCHER" 1922-2008
- WHY ENGLISH NEWSPAPERS ARE BETTER THAN AMERICAN ?
- ESQUIRES FEBURARY ISSUE CELEBRATES WOMAN
- MANNING COOL FAVRE COLD AS GIANTS SUPER
- KEIRA KNIGHTLEY - ESQUIRE MAGAZINE
- THREE DEMENTIONAL TATOOS ! ! !
- "FROZEN WAVES" IN NEW FOUNDLAND ???
- FINALLY - CLAMATO BEER ! ! !
- SUZANNE PLESHETTE 1937 - 2008
- TWO MORE SEXY BRAZILIAN MODELS ! ! !
- KELLY RIPA - FITNESS MAGAZINE SHOOT
- ELLE MACPHERSON - NEW SUNTAN LOTION SHOOT
- Andre de Plessel - SEXY SMOKING PHOTOS
- PAULA ABDUL - BACK ON THE CHARTS
- WAMMO FOUNDER TOSSES FRIZBEE IN HEAVEN
- RANDOM CELEBRITY HOTTIES IN THE NEWS
- ANTIQUE NUERO - SURGERY KIT ???
- EVE MENDEZ - EXPOSED ON FRENCH TELEVISION
- THE DANGERS OF ENORMOUS BREAST IMPLANTS
- DOLPHINS AT PLAY WITH BUBBLES
- MARC EMERY - THE PRINCE OF POT ???
- LINDSAY LOHAN - CLOVERFIELD PREMIER
- TOM CRUISE - TOTAL L.R.H. CONTROL
- BOBBY FISCHER "CHESS LEGEND" 1943 - 2008
- SUMMER GLAU - THE TERMINATRIX ! ! !
- THE ADULT VIDEO AWARDS - WINNERS LIST
- AMERICAN IDOL MELTDOWN - ALEXIS COHEN
- MASSIVE UFO SPOTTED IN STEVENSVILLE TEXAS ?
- GREATEST CELEBRITY INTERVIEWS ! ! !
- AMY - THE MOST ANNOYING CHICK EVER ! ! !
- DIANE KEATON DROPS THE F- BOMB ???
- HAROLD AND KUMAR ARE BACK ! ! !
- CLOVERFIELD MONSTER ATTACKS OIL RIG ?
- BRITNEY SPEARS - LIFE AS A PROMOTIONAL VIDEO ?
- MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATRE IS BACK ! ! !
- PIRELLI'S 2008 CALENDAR - " SHANGHI "
- TAMIRA PASZEK - EMERGING TENNIS STAR !
- VIDA GUERRA - SEXY CUBAN SINGER !
- THE METHOD "HOW TO PICK UP CHICKS"
- KIM KARDASHIAN SHAKING IT WITH REGGIE BUSH
- KOURTNEY KARDASHIAN - KIM 'S LITTLE SISTER
- LOUIS THE OCTOPUS LOVES "MR POTATO HEAD"
- AMERICAN IDOL - LEGEND OF WILLIAM HUNG ! ! !
- BUSH WHIPS OUT SWORD IN BAHRAIN
- MAILA NURMI "VAMPIRA" 1921 - 2008
- JESSICA ALBA - NOW AN OFFICIAL MILF
- MERV GRIFFIN - BEST TOMBSTONE EVER !
- HUSTLER - NANCY BENOIT PHOTOS
- "JUNO" WRITTEN BY STRIPPER DIABLO CODY
- VIVICA A FOX - SEX TAPE ???
- AMY WINEHOUSE - NEW BLONDE HAIR DO !
- MIKE NUTTER - PHILLY'S NEW RAPPIN MAYOR !
- VANESSA HUDGENS -17 MAGAZINE "TIPS FOR TEENS" ?
- MIKE HUCKABEE - FUNNIEST CANDIDATE ???
- ADRIANA LIMA - SEX TAPE ???
- WHY READING IS FUNDEMENTALLY IMPORTANT ?
- FINALLY - LEPOARD PRINT DESIGNER TASERS ! ! !
- DICK ASS MAN IS HERE ! ! !
- JAMIE LYNN SPEARS - PREGNANCY BOOSTS RATINGS ?
- HILLARY CLINTON - SECRETLY CONTROLLED BY ALIENS ?
- BAR REFAELI - ARENA MAGAZINE
- AMAZINGLY WELL TIMED PHOTOGRAPHY ! ! !
- HILLARY CLINTON "IRON MY SHIRT" ???
- HOW BIG IS YOUR SCREEN ???
- HANNAH MONTANA USES BODY DOUBLE ON TOUR ?
- ▼ January (127)