Monday, December 24, 2007
By David Ellis, CNNMoney.com staff writer
December 21 2007: 6:51 PM EST
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Goldman Sachs Chairman and CEO Lloyd Blankfein will take home nearly $68 million in restricted stock, options and cash, making it the largest bonus ever given to a Wall Street CEO.
Blankfein was awarded $26.8 million in cash and $41.1 million in restricted stock and stock options, according to a company filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission issued Friday.
With this year's bonus, Blankfein shatters the record he set a year ago, when he was awarded $54 million.
News reports had originally projected that Blankfein will take home as much as $70 million, after helping to lead the company through this summer's market meltdown and the ongoing credit crisis.
Unlike some of its rivals, which have witnessed billions of dollars evaporate from their balance sheets, Goldman Sachs has proved unshakable. Just this week, the company reported better-than-expected fourth-quarter earnings, while peers like Morgan Stanley and Bear Stearns recorded steep losses.
As it stands right now, Blankfein will be among the few Wall Street CEOs to collect a bonus this year. After this week's dismal results, Morgan Stanley (MS, Fortune 500) Chairman and CEO John Mack and Bear Stearns (BSC, Fortune 500) chief James Cayne both announced they would forsake their 2007 bonuses.
While bonuses are common throughout corporate America, they are a far bigger part of overall compensation for all levels of employee pay on Wall Street than they are at a typical corporation.
Tom McMullen of the Hay Group, a human resources and management consultant, estimates that cash bonuses typically equal between 40 and 100 percent of base salary for top executives on Wall Street, while senior managers receive between 15 to 30 percent of base pay as bonus payments. Even entry-level employees might see 10 to 20 percent of their base pay in the form of a bonus.
This year was expected to be a difficult one for finance pros given the recent market turmoil and the ongoing credit crisis. Overall, financial firms were expected to cut bonuses up to 10 percent from a year ago, according to industry projections.
A year ago, bonuses on Wall Street reached a record $23.9 billion, averaging more than $136,000 per employee, according to the New York State Comptroller's office.
Facing the biggest bonus squeeze were those individuals working in mortgage-related areas, with their bonuses declining by as much as 50 percent from a year ago, according to a report published last month by the compensation research firm Options Group.
Even though dealmaking has slowed considerably on Wall Street, investment bankers are still expected to enjoy a bump in their annual bonus from a year ago given the frenetic pace of merger-and-acquisition activity in the first half of 2007.
With so many banks underperforming, many financial firms were widely expected this bonus season to shift from cash to stock in an effort to compensate employees while retaining talent. Some firms have already said they would cap their cash compensation, including UBS, which announced a limit of $750,000 for its workers.
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any po...
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
Wow Paulina still very perky at 44 ! Read about Paulas interesting childhood escaping the iron curtain THE NILES LESH PROJECT - ALL...
SHE IS A POTENTIAL F D I L F !!! Meghan McCain is a 23-year-old, socially liberal John Kerry voter who loves Superbad, Dita von Teese, Bud L...
Pat Venditte is a minor league pitcher with the Staten Island Yankees. He was selected in the 20th round of the 2008 draft with the 620th ov...
Donald Trump, a co-owner of “Miss USA”, “Miss Universe” and “Miss Teen USA” pageants, has come up with a new reality TV show which will take...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- ► 2008 (1240)
- BEST INTERNET VIDEOS OF 2007 (BREAK.COM)
- ERICA CHEVILLAR - THE BIKINI TEACHER
- ADRIANA LIMA - ENHANCED UNDERWEAR
- THE LOST JAY LENO INTERVIEWS ???
- ISABELLA FONTANA = SEXY BRAZILIAN MODEL
- EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT FARTING !
- MOOSE GETS STUCK ON HIGH POWER WIRES ?
- NICKI HILTON - MORE MAUI BIKINI PICS
- FINALLY - A GIANT CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN ! ! !
- THE SIMPSONS HOUSE IS NOW REAL !
- WORST MOVIE OF 2007 "ILLEGAL ALIENS"
- NICKI HILTON - CHRISTMAS DAY - MAUI BEACH
- A SONG FOR 2007
- THE REVERSE TIME SYMMETRY SONG ???
- GREAT DANE HAS 19 CHRISTMAS PUPPIES !
- JEANNE CARMEN - 1950'S CHEESECAKE QUEEN
- THE DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS FOR REINDEER ?
- VALERIE BEGUE - MISS FRANCE "RISQUE" ?
- LUDIVINE SAGNIER _ NEWLY NUDE FOR 2008 FRENCH PLAY...
- STRAIGHT NO CHASER - BEST 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS EVE...
- SOUTH PARK - TRUE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS
- EXTREME CHRISTMAS LIGHT HOME DECORATIONS
- MICHELLE RODRIGUEZ - SPENDING CHRISTMAS IN JAIL ?...
- PAINFULLY CUTE ANIMALS IN SANTA HATS
- HOW BIG IS YOUR $$$BONUS $$$ ?
- MIENFOKING OPTICAL ILLUSIONS !
- Graffiti Artist on the Loose in Bethlehem
- WORLD'S LARGEST SNOW SCULPTURE !
- FESTIVUS FOR THE REST OF US ! ! !
- 57 VARIETIES OF GEEKS
- EVA MENDEZ - P E T A " ANTI - FUR NAKED " AD
- DARK KNIGHT POSTERS
- THE ART OF " FIRSTING " ! ! !
- WORST BREAK UP EVER ! ! !
- HUMAN BODY FUN FACTS ! ! !
- JESSICA SIMPSON - JINX MASKS ???
- MONICA BELLUCCI - BELLISSIMA ! ! !
- HILLARY CLINTON - TOO SEXY TO BE PRESIDENT ?
- FINALLY - BACON CHOCOLATECHIP COOKIES ! ! !
- HOW TO PHOTOGRAPH A NUDE WOMEN
- FINALLY - "DOGS PLAYING POKER" 2.0 ! ! !
- MISS BELGIUM DOES NOT SPEAK DUTCH ???
- FERGIE - WETS HERSELF ON STAGE ???
- BEST PHOTO EVER OF AMY WINEHOUSE
- SEX PISTOLS JOHNNIE ROTTEN"GUITAR HERO"UK LAUNCH P...
- WTF - MAN GETS BREAST IMPLANTS IN LEG ???
- JESSICA SIMPSON - JINXES TONY ROMO ???
- GEMMA ATKINSON - ABOVE THE AVERAGE GEMMA
- GEMMA ATHERTON - NEW "REGULAR GUY" BOND GIRL
- THE DARK KNIGHT TRAILER
- GREATEST TOYS EVER ! ! !
- SECRET VOLLEY BALL BUTT SIGNALS EXPOSED !
- CELEBRITY MAKE UP REALITY CHECK
- DAVE CHAPPELL - F*CK ASHTON KUTCHER !
- The Worst Band Names Of '07
- SCARLETT JOHANNSON - 2008 CALENDAR
- WINONA RIDER - SEX WITH A DUMMY ?
- PARIS HILTON - PAINTED GOLD
- FINALLY - A PILL TO MAKE YOUR POOP GOLD !
- KATE BECKINSDALE - CHRISTMAS SHOPPING ?
- FINALLY - ROBOT SLAVES TO SERVE US ! ! !
- SUBWAY STRIPPERS - POLE DANCING ON THE "N" TRAIN
- MILLON DOLLAR CHILI PEPPER POT BUST ?
- CHRISTMAS SPIRIT - JUST FOR THE POOR ?
- THE GREAT WHOPPER "FREAK OUT" SCAM ???
- KATE MOSS - HANGING OUT IN MEXICO
- SOULJAJEW - CRANK DAT KOSHA BOY ???
- MITT ROMNEY - LOVES HIS PETS ???
- SURVIVOR - STEREOTYPE ISLAND ???
- WORTHINGTONS LAW ???
- TARA REID - BELLY FLAB FREE AGAIN !
- THE NEW HOME OF THE WHOPPER ! ! !
- TWO BLONDES DEBATING @ YOUTUBE DEBATES
- ADAM SANDLER - THE ORIGINAL HOLIDAY CLASSIC
- JENNA BUSH PHONES HOME ???
- LINDSAY LOHAN - BLACK OUTFIT
- KIERA KNIGHTLEY - INTERVIEW MAGAZINE
- HANK AZARIA - SIMPSON STORIES
- YOUNG RICH AND GOOD LOOKING $$$
- DO AMERICANS BELIEVE IN EVERYTHING ???
- Kangaroo farts could ease global warming
- AMY WINEHOUSE - JUNKIE GLAMOUR ???
- LAMBORGHINI "REVENTON"
- PERFECT GIFT FOR THE PERFECT W.I.F.E. ???
- RHINO POOP - THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING !
- HAVE A HAMMY CHANUKAH ! ! !
- THE BEST OF THE "GOT MILK" ADS
- THIS CHRISTMAS THEY WANT "LITTLE LADY" BEAUTY KIT...
- SHERRI SHEPPARD ' THE DEPTHS OF WISDOM"
- AWESOME AQUARIUM TOILET ! ! !
- DEWEY COX - WALK HARD "LETS DUET" CLIP
- Daily News lists Top 50 Dumbest People in Hollywoo...
- HERSHEY'S HOT NEW DRUG CANDY !!!
- HEATH LEDGER AS THE JOKER
- CLASSIC LOST FOOTAGE OF "THE WIZARD OF OZ" MUNCHKI...
- CLASSIC MIENFOKS - GET A NEW DADDY ???
- CLASSIC CARSON - THE ANIMALS
- PINK FLASHES PUSSY AT MUSIC AWARDS SHOW
- HEATHER MILLS "EDUCATIONAL HARD CORE"
- ANOTHER REASON FOR STARING AT BIG BOOBS
- ▼ December (104)