Friday, December 7, 2007
DO AMERICANS BELIEVE IN EVERYTHING ???
The Religious and Other Beliefs of Americans
More People Believe in the Devil, Hell, and Angels Than Believe in Darwin’s Theory of Evolution
ROCHESTER, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--That very large majorities of the American public believe in God, miracles, the survival of the soul after death, heaven, the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and the Virgin Birth will come as no great surprise. What may be more surprising is that substantial minorities believe in ghosts, UFOs, witches, astrology, and reincarnation – the belief that they themselves were once another people. More than six in ten believe in hell and the devil. Overall, more people believe in the Devil, Hell and angels than believe in Darwin’s theory of evolution.
These are some of the findings of a Harris Poll of 2,455 U.S. adults conducted online by Harris Interactive® between November 7 and 13, 2007.
Interesting findings in this new Harris Poll include:
* 82 percent of adult Americans believe in God – unchanged since the question was last asked in 2005;
* Large majorities of the public believe in miracles (79%), heaven (75%), angels (74%), that Jesus is God or the son of God (72%), the resurrection of Jesus (70%), the survival of the soul after death (69%), hell (62%), the devil (62%), and the virgin birth (Jesus born of Mary) (60%);
* Roughly equal numbers – both minorities - believe in Darwin’s theory of evolution (42%) and creationism (39%);
* Sizeable minorities believe in ghosts (41%), UFOs (35%), witches (31%), astrology (29%) and reincarnation (21%);
* While many of these numbers for people who hold these beliefs are the same or little changed from 2005, the overall trend is upwards with slightly more people believing in miracles, angels and witches than did so two years ago.
Differences in Beliefs Among Major Religious Groups
Born-again Christians are more likely to believe in the traditional elements of Christianity than are Catholics or Protestants. For example, 95 percent believe in miracles, compared to 87 percent and 89 percent among Catholics and Protestants. Fully 92 percent of born-again Christians believe in Hell, compared to 75 percent of Catholics and 78 percent of Protestants.
On the other hand only 16 percent of born-again Christians, compared to 43 percent of Catholics and 30 percent of Protestants, believe in Darwin’s theory of evolution. And fully 60 percent of born-again Christians, but only 43 percent of Catholics, believe in creationism. Born-again Christians are also more likely to believe in witches. Catholics are more likely to believe in astrology and re-incarnation.
Which Religious Texts are the “Word of God”
Slender majorities believe that all or some of the Old Testament (53%) and the New Testament (52%) are the “Word of God”. However, only about a third of all adults (35% and 33%) believe that all of these texts are the word of God.
Interestingly, only 23 percent of all adults believe that the Torah is the word of God, even though it is the same as the first five books of the Old Testament. Born-again Christians are much more likely to think the Old and New Testament are all or mostly the word of God (88% and 86% respectively) than are Catholics (55% and 54%).
Religiosity and Religious Practice
One in five Americans describe themselves as “very religious”. However, a large majority (70%) describe themselves as either very (21%) or somewhat (49%) religious. This rises to 93 percent of born-again Christians, 82 percent of Catholics and 84 percent of Protestants.
Born-again Christians are also more likely to say that they attend Church every week (50%) than are Catholics (30%) and Protestants (34%).
A quarter (25%) of adult Americans claim that they attend Church once a week or more often, compared with 40 percent who say they attend once a year or less often.
A Note on the Methodology Used and its Affect
Other research has shown that people are less likely to say they believe in God, or attend Church services, when replying to a question administered impersonally by a computer, as they did in this online survey, than when replying to an interviewer. It is generally believed that the replies given to live interviewers tend to exaggerate the numbers of people who report the socially-desirable, or less embarrassing, behavior and that the replies given to an online survey such as this, are therefore more accurate.
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
3PLT: Saturday Morning Alive Show #1 - All Rights Reserved 2010 - The Niles Lesh Project Follow NILES LESH / MIENFOKS on TWITTER !
Italy's anti-anorexia ads have divided France's powerful fashion industry -- with the high end couture federation deeming them &quo...
SHE IS A POTENTIAL F D I L F !!! Meghan McCain is a 23-year-old, socially liberal John Kerry voter who loves Superbad, Dita von Teese, Bud L...
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
SADLY ITS ON IN THE UK ONLY U ndressing the nation: The style gurus strip down to their bras ITV has been bombarded with complaints after a...
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any po...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- ► 2008 (1240)
- BEST INTERNET VIDEOS OF 2007 (BREAK.COM)
- ERICA CHEVILLAR - THE BIKINI TEACHER
- ADRIANA LIMA - ENHANCED UNDERWEAR
- THE LOST JAY LENO INTERVIEWS ???
- ISABELLA FONTANA = SEXY BRAZILIAN MODEL
- EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT FARTING !
- MOOSE GETS STUCK ON HIGH POWER WIRES ?
- NICKI HILTON - MORE MAUI BIKINI PICS
- FINALLY - A GIANT CHOCOLATE FOUNTAIN ! ! !
- THE SIMPSONS HOUSE IS NOW REAL !
- WORST MOVIE OF 2007 "ILLEGAL ALIENS"
- NICKI HILTON - CHRISTMAS DAY - MAUI BEACH
- A SONG FOR 2007
- THE REVERSE TIME SYMMETRY SONG ???
- GREAT DANE HAS 19 CHRISTMAS PUPPIES !
- JEANNE CARMEN - 1950'S CHEESECAKE QUEEN
- THE DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS FOR REINDEER ?
- VALERIE BEGUE - MISS FRANCE "RISQUE" ?
- LUDIVINE SAGNIER _ NEWLY NUDE FOR 2008 FRENCH PLAY...
- STRAIGHT NO CHASER - BEST 12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS EVE...
- SOUTH PARK - TRUE MEANING OF CHRISTMAS
- EXTREME CHRISTMAS LIGHT HOME DECORATIONS
- MICHELLE RODRIGUEZ - SPENDING CHRISTMAS IN JAIL ?...
- PAINFULLY CUTE ANIMALS IN SANTA HATS
- HOW BIG IS YOUR $$$BONUS $$$ ?
- MIENFOKING OPTICAL ILLUSIONS !
- Graffiti Artist on the Loose in Bethlehem
- WORLD'S LARGEST SNOW SCULPTURE !
- FESTIVUS FOR THE REST OF US ! ! !
- 57 VARIETIES OF GEEKS
- EVA MENDEZ - P E T A " ANTI - FUR NAKED " AD
- DARK KNIGHT POSTERS
- THE ART OF " FIRSTING " ! ! !
- WORST BREAK UP EVER ! ! !
- HUMAN BODY FUN FACTS ! ! !
- JESSICA SIMPSON - JINX MASKS ???
- MONICA BELLUCCI - BELLISSIMA ! ! !
- HILLARY CLINTON - TOO SEXY TO BE PRESIDENT ?
- FINALLY - BACON CHOCOLATECHIP COOKIES ! ! !
- HOW TO PHOTOGRAPH A NUDE WOMEN
- FINALLY - "DOGS PLAYING POKER" 2.0 ! ! !
- MISS BELGIUM DOES NOT SPEAK DUTCH ???
- FERGIE - WETS HERSELF ON STAGE ???
- BEST PHOTO EVER OF AMY WINEHOUSE
- SEX PISTOLS JOHNNIE ROTTEN"GUITAR HERO"UK LAUNCH P...
- WTF - MAN GETS BREAST IMPLANTS IN LEG ???
- JESSICA SIMPSON - JINXES TONY ROMO ???
- GEMMA ATKINSON - ABOVE THE AVERAGE GEMMA
- GEMMA ATHERTON - NEW "REGULAR GUY" BOND GIRL
- THE DARK KNIGHT TRAILER
- GREATEST TOYS EVER ! ! !
- SECRET VOLLEY BALL BUTT SIGNALS EXPOSED !
- CELEBRITY MAKE UP REALITY CHECK
- DAVE CHAPPELL - F*CK ASHTON KUTCHER !
- The Worst Band Names Of '07
- SCARLETT JOHANNSON - 2008 CALENDAR
- WINONA RIDER - SEX WITH A DUMMY ?
- PARIS HILTON - PAINTED GOLD
- FINALLY - A PILL TO MAKE YOUR POOP GOLD !
- KATE BECKINSDALE - CHRISTMAS SHOPPING ?
- FINALLY - ROBOT SLAVES TO SERVE US ! ! !
- SUBWAY STRIPPERS - POLE DANCING ON THE "N" TRAIN
- MILLON DOLLAR CHILI PEPPER POT BUST ?
- CHRISTMAS SPIRIT - JUST FOR THE POOR ?
- THE GREAT WHOPPER "FREAK OUT" SCAM ???
- KATE MOSS - HANGING OUT IN MEXICO
- SOULJAJEW - CRANK DAT KOSHA BOY ???
- MITT ROMNEY - LOVES HIS PETS ???
- SURVIVOR - STEREOTYPE ISLAND ???
- WORTHINGTONS LAW ???
- TARA REID - BELLY FLAB FREE AGAIN !
- THE NEW HOME OF THE WHOPPER ! ! !
- TWO BLONDES DEBATING @ YOUTUBE DEBATES
- ADAM SANDLER - THE ORIGINAL HOLIDAY CLASSIC
- JENNA BUSH PHONES HOME ???
- LINDSAY LOHAN - BLACK OUTFIT
- KIERA KNIGHTLEY - INTERVIEW MAGAZINE
- HANK AZARIA - SIMPSON STORIES
- YOUNG RICH AND GOOD LOOKING $$$
- DO AMERICANS BELIEVE IN EVERYTHING ???
- Kangaroo farts could ease global warming
- AMY WINEHOUSE - JUNKIE GLAMOUR ???
- LAMBORGHINI "REVENTON"
- PERFECT GIFT FOR THE PERFECT W.I.F.E. ???
- RHINO POOP - THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING !
- HAVE A HAMMY CHANUKAH ! ! !
- THE BEST OF THE "GOT MILK" ADS
- THIS CHRISTMAS THEY WANT "LITTLE LADY" BEAUTY KIT...
- SHERRI SHEPPARD ' THE DEPTHS OF WISDOM"
- AWESOME AQUARIUM TOILET ! ! !
- DEWEY COX - WALK HARD "LETS DUET" CLIP
- Daily News lists Top 50 Dumbest People in Hollywoo...
- HERSHEY'S HOT NEW DRUG CANDY !!!
- HEATH LEDGER AS THE JOKER
- CLASSIC LOST FOOTAGE OF "THE WIZARD OF OZ" MUNCHKI...
- CLASSIC MIENFOKS - GET A NEW DADDY ???
- CLASSIC CARSON - THE ANIMALS
- PINK FLASHES PUSSY AT MUSIC AWARDS SHOW
- HEATHER MILLS "EDUCATIONAL HARD CORE"
- ANOTHER REASON FOR STARING AT BIG BOOBS
- ▼ December (104)