Wednesday, November 7, 2007
"American Gangster" MOST PIRATED MOVIE EVER ?
"American Gangster," the true story of former New York City drug kingpin Frank Lucas, may have topped the weekend box office take, reeling in $46.1 million.
But that's only the official tally.
Unofficially, the movie that has generated Oscar buzz for stars Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe, both of whom already have Academy Awards, may have taken in tens of millions more.
That's because movie pirates have flooded the underground DVD market with so many copies of "American Gangster" that many folks had already seen the film before its theater debut.
"You don't understand," wrote one blogger in an online discussion among film buffs who are trying to figure out how such a pristine copy of the film hit the Internet and the streets some two weeks before it opened in theaters.
"The 'knockoff' was an exact DVD copy [with] 5.0 Digital sound and perfect picture. This wasn't a copy [by] some dude in a theater with a Samsung Digicam."
Not only was "American Gangster" available on DVD for $5 in such bootleg capitals as Los Angeles and New York, it also was being sold in Philadelphia, Atlanta, Savannah, Ga., Houston and everywhere in between.
Universal Pictures, which made the film for an estimated $100 million, has refused to comment about the proliferation of bootleg copies.
It's the latest in a growing problem that the Motion Picture Association of America estimates costs U.S. motion picture studios more than $6 billion a year.
A 2005 study found that the United States accounted for only a fifth of the lost sales, with the bulk -- 80 percent -- occurring overseas, where bootleg copies are rampant.
Of the bootlegged copies, the study said $3.8 billion -- 62 percent -- was the result of pirated DVDs, while $2.3 billion -- 38 percent -- was the result of Internet piracy. At 90 percent, China had the highest piracy rate -- nine of every 10 potential dollars were lost to viewings of illegal copies -- followed by Russia and Thailand at 79 percent.
China, in particular, has come under fire for movie and music piracy that executives say costs their industries billions, prompting the United States and other countries to seek to negotiate an agreement aimed at curbing the counterfeiting of consumer goods around the world.
"We have some significant challenges ahead," MPAA Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Dan Glickman said in a keynote address last week to the Cable & Satellite Broadcasting Association of Asia. "There is no question the evolution of the on-demand world and the new and enhanced power of consumer choice is impacting the habits and preferences of the audiences we serve."
His organization, and the Recording Industry Association of America, have been fighting back. Last year, they launched a holiday campaign in 11 states including Pennsylvania to dissuade the public from buying illegal DVDs and CDs as holiday gifts.
But the piracy continues. While the quality of the "American Gangster" bootleg DVD has set the bar high in terms of illegally copied films, it's not the first film to hit the streets before the theaters this year. "Hostel II" and "Ratatouille" also were available on DVD before their release dates.
Typically, bootlegged copies of films are available about 24 hours after debuting in theaters. But often they are not of the greatest quality and are obtained by video pirates sneaking camcorders into the theaters, which is illegal in 39 states including Pennsylvania.
A first offense in Pennsylvania is considered a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment of not more than five years and/or a fine of $10,000, according to the MPAA. New York City, which this year established a separate law from New York state, is much more lenient. A first offense there is a misdemeanor with up to six months in jail and/or a fine of $1,000 to $5,000.
Piraters also can be snagged under "True Name and Address" statutes, enacted in 45 states, which make it illegal to rent or sell prerecorded movies for home use without including the true name and address of the manufacturer.
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
3PLT: Saturday Morning Alive Show #1 - All Rights Reserved 2010 - The Niles Lesh Project Follow NILES LESH / MIENFOKS on TWITTER !
Italy's anti-anorexia ads have divided France's powerful fashion industry -- with the high end couture federation deeming them &quo...
SHE IS A POTENTIAL F D I L F !!! Meghan McCain is a 23-year-old, socially liberal John Kerry voter who loves Superbad, Dita von Teese, Bud L...
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
Adriana Lima, 26, is a Brazilian supermodel. She has graced the pages of the worlds most famous magazines and represented the top brands in...
SADLY ITS ON IN THE UK ONLY U ndressing the nation: The style gurus strip down to their bras ITV has been bombarded with complaints after a...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- ► 2008 (1240)
- CLASSIC CARSON - ED AMES' TOMAHAWK
- SILENCE OF THE LAMBS "BLOOPER REEL"
- THE LEGEND OF KLAUS KINSKI ! ! !
- THE LEGEND OF ORSEN WELLES ! ! !
- JOE NAMATH - " I WANNA KISS YOU"
- KERMIT THE FROG ON "TWO GIRLS ONE CUP"
- BLONDE ON THE MIC CHECK ???
- ..AND THE OSCAR FOR BEST NUDE SCENE ???
- JENNIFER LOVE HEWITT - BIKINI PICS
- VICTORIA BECKHAM LOOKS A LITTLE LESS "SPICY" ?
- TWODALOO- THE MARRAIGE SAVING TOILET ?
- GOOD OLE POLITICAL GOSSIP "BILL CLINTON HAS STILL ...
- WTF ? - Madonna dyes sheep for Vogue !!!
- SPICY PUERTO RICAN PEPPER PAGENT ???
- THE STRANGE TALE OF ZOEY ZANE
- ITS OFFICIAL KIM KARDASHIAN IS A WHORE ?
- GILLIAN ANDERSON KISSES LETTERMAN
- BAD DAY AT THE OFFICE ???
- DARTS TOSS WITH AN ELEPHANT ???
- BABY'S GOT BACK ! ! !
- WHAT WOMEN WANT ???
- WHO TOOK A DUMP IN MY BACK SEAT ???
- HOCKEY FANS TOSS 20K TEDDYEARS ON THE ICE !!!
- POLICE DOG BITES AUBURN FOOTBALL PLAYER
- THE FLOATING LANTERNS OF TAIWAN
- HOW BLONDES MAKE MEN DUMBER ???
- SOLVING GLOBAL WARMING WITH PEE ???
- BROOKE "BABY HULKSTER" HOGAN BIKINI SHOTS
- SOFIE HOWARD -SEXY UNDERWEARS
- SANDY WESTGATE REVIEWS DVDS - DIEHARD 4
- LADIES "CARRY YOUR PADDED BRAS WITH STYLE" !
- MONKEY MEAT FOR THE SOUL ?
- UNINTENTIONALLY FUNNY ADVERTISING
- BIZARRE SANTA CULT IS ON THE LOOSE AGAIN !!!
- WACKY WALMART WACKING GUY ???
- TOP 10 GREATEST DUNKS ALL TIME !!!
- LARRY BUYS SOME WEED ?
- ONE BAD ASS BEAR !
- RODNEY DANGERFIELD - ON A ROLL !
- CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM - CHEF TURETTS
- SCTV CLASSIC - BENNY HILL STREET BLUES
- "n" - SESAME STREET'S SADDEST SONG ???
- CINDY CRAWFORD SHOWS OFF HER SIX PACK
- ARE YOU READY FOR "GOING STEADY" ???
- VANESSA MANILLO - SEXY ON THE BEACH
- DAVE CHAPPELLE - I'M RICK JAMES B*TCH !
- HAYDEN PANETTIERE - MENS VOGUE PHOTOS
- CARSON'S CLASSIC COPPER CLAPPER CAPER
- WKRP - THE THANKSGIVING TURKEY DROP !
- TOM BRADY "ITS NOT OUR FAULT THE OTHER TEAMS SUCK"...
- THE TASER CRAZE CONTINUES ???
- MICHA BARTON - GETS A LITTLE WET ?
- NEIL DIAMOND REVEALS "SWEET CAROLINE"
- YAHTZEE REVIEWS " MANHUNT"
- NORA HARDWICK - TOPLESS AT 102 !
- KYLA EBBERT - OFF THE PLANE AND IN PLAYBOY
- DO BLONDES MAKE EVERYONE DUMBER ?
- HAYDEN PANETTIERE - SEXY VANITY FAIR PIX
- KINKO - THE KID LOVING CLOWN ???
- CHUCK NORRIS ALERT - MIKE HUCKABEE FOR PRESIDENT
- KOREAN GEEK ALERT - INTERNET REHAB !!!
- GEEK ALERT ! "STAR TREK HOME THEATRE"
- FOXNEWS - ADULT ENTERTAINMENT ???
- EVER BEEN F**KED UP BY A CLOWN ???
- KATIE COURIC - BEHIND THE SCENES
- OFFICE SNOWBALL FIGHT ! ! !
- HOW TO GET BELGIANS TO COME TO LONDON
- HOW TO BECOME FAMOUS - "Kyla Ebbert"
- SANTA CLAUS HAS A "HO" IN SYNDEY ???
- SPIKE JONES - "HOW THEY GET THERE" ???
- FABIO "GEORGE CLOONEY IS A SCUMBAG" !!!
- MERCURY MORRIS ON THE "UNDEFEATED"
- LICKING THE TOAD LICKERS ???
- WGA STRIKE - HOW DOES THIS EFFECT THE RICH GUYS ?
- TRAINSPOTTING "CHOOSE LIFE" ???
- HILLARY CLINTON GETS B*TCH SLAPPED ???
- SHARON STONE "CAMEL TOE FUND RAISER"
- PECULIAR NAMES OF ANIMAL GROUPS
- MOM ALWAYS SAID "TAKE CARE OF THE MAN IN THE BOAT"...
- HENRY ROLLINS "STATE OF MODERN MUSIC"
- MORMONS vs CHRISTIANS "STREET THEOLOGY"
- SARAH MICHELLE GELLAR - SLAYS MAXIM MAG
- SARAH PONCE -THE MODEL WHO KICKS ASS !!!
- SERJ TANKIAN "EMPTY WALLS"
- ITALIAN SPIDERMAN "GREATEST SHOW EVER"?
- WHAT'S UP WITH THE WRITERS STRIKE ???
- WORLD'S GREATEST DUNKER IS FRENCH ???
- BIG CURVY GIRLS ARE SMARTER ! ! !
- TOP 10 LEAST POPULAR STRIPPER NAMES
- OKLAHOMA MAN CREATES HOMEMADE LIGHTNING
- CLAUDIA SCHIFFER'S NEW CHANNEL SHOOT
- SEXPRESSO - VEGAS BABY VEGAS !!!
- BEST NEW SHOW ON TELEVISION ! ! !
- THE MAFIA'S TEN COMMANDMENTS
- A NEW CHESSBOXING CHAMP IS CROWNED !
- BEYONCE'S BOOTYLISCIOUS GIRDLE ???
- WHATEVER HAPPENED TO "THE DELL DUDE" ?
- DAVE CHAPPELLE LIVE @KOJOS IN LONDON !
- LET'S SCARE THE SH*T OUT OF GRANDPA !
- ADRIANNE CURRY - PLAYBOY SPREAD
- ▼ November (134)