Wednesday, December 3, 2008
The New York Daily News drew up fake documents, created a bogus notary stamp and filed paperwork with the city and successfully took ownership of the $2 billion property on Monday.
The heist illustrates what it descibes as a gaping loophole in the city system that doesn't require clerks to actually verify information.
The office of the city register, upon receipt of the phony documents prepared by the newspaper, transferred ownership of the 102-story building from Empire State Land Associates to Nelots Properties, LLC. Nelots is "stolen" spelled backward.
To further enhance the absurdity of the heist, included on the bogus paperwork were original "King Kong" star Fay Wray as witness and Willie Sutton, the notorious bank robber, as the notary.
"Of course, stealing the Empire State Building wouldn't go unnoticed for long, but it shows how easy it is for con artists to swipe more modest buildings right out from under their owners," the paper concluded.
Nearly 24 hours after the fake deed was filed, the newspaper returned the building to its rightful owners.
The Daily News says it will not report all elements of how the scam works.
"Crooks go where the money is. That's why Willie Sutton robbed banks, and this is the new bank robbery," Brooklyn Assistant District Attorney Richard Farrell told the Daily News.
Read the full story at the NY Daily News
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
Wow Paulina still very perky at 44 ! Read about Paulas interesting childhood escaping the iron curtain THE NILES LESH PROJECT - ALL...
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any po...
OSBORN COX? - NOW THAT IS A GREAT NAME !!!
SHE IS A POTENTIAL F D I L F !!! Meghan McCain is a 23-year-old, socially liberal John Kerry voter who loves Superbad, Dita von Teese, Bud L...
Larry Flynt, the wheelchair bound self-proclaimed "smut peddler" and "1st Amendment Crusader" has published photos of Na...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- Best Magazine Covers of 2008
- AMANI THE BABY AARDVARK
- ANN SAVAGE - Femme Fatale - 1921 - 2008
- Best Photo Journalism of 2008 (Part 3)
- Best Photo Journalism of 2008 (Part 2)
- Best Photo Journalism of 2008
- Mienfoks - Christmas Refresher #8
- Merry Christmas 2008
- NYC - Santa Festival
- Korean Santa Penguins
- So This Is Christmas ?
- Christmas Gift Helpful Hints - Last Chance !
- Mienfoks - Christmas Refresher #7
- Finally - An Artificial Hymen !
- INTERNET GOLD SERIES - # 13
- SCARLETT JOHANSSON - Snot Rag Auction ???
- ADRIANA LIMA - Secret Bras
- DOUTZEN KROES - Victoria's Secret Hottie
- Christmas Gift Helpful Hints # 3
- SOCK IT TO THE HOLIDAYS !
- HILLARY DUFF - Maxim Magazine
- LOUIS CK - Kids & Old People
- WHO'S WHO IN FAKE NEWS ?
- GUY RITCHIE - $ 76 Million Plus Settlement !
- CARMEN ELECTRA - What 's The Deal ???
- Mienfoks Christmas Refresher # 5
- More Christmas Pets
- BUSH GETS SHOED IN IRAQ ?
- KESENIA SUKHINOVA - Miss World 2008
- JENNIFER ANISTON - Nude in GQ !
- BETTY PAGE - Legendary Pin Up Girl 1923 - 2008
- Painfully Cute Christmas Dogs
- EMMA WATSON - Style Magazine
- Mienfoks - Christmas Refresher #4
- JESSICA BIEL - British GQ
- Amazing Santa Claus Photos !
- Christmas Gift Helpful Hints # 2
- Bodacious Baldies ?
- Amazing Folded Money Heads !
- United Homeless Organization - Not so Homeless ?
- Mienfoks Christmas Refresher #3 - The Ref
- INTERNET GOLD SERIES - #17
- Toby & Sheila - Duck Adopts Puppy ?
- Awesome Animal Photos !
- ABIGAIL CLANCY - German FHM Magazine
- The Anti - BINGE DRINKING - Ad Campaign
- A Day in the Life of Plaxico Burress ?
- Tatooed For You Girl !
- Sony Unveils BRAVIA - Drome Zoetrope !
- New Oslo Opera House & Skate Park ???
- JESSICA ALBA - 2009 Campari Calender !
- Christmas Gift Helpful Hints - Guns !
- SEAN AVERY "Sloppy Seconds" ???
- EMPIRE STATE BUILDING - Stolen ???
- MARK ROTH - Mad Scientist Reanimates Life ?
- BEYONCE KNOWLES - German GQ
- The Ultimate Chair - Herman Miller's EMBODY !
- Crazy Gideon ?
- PLAXICO BURRESS - Joins the Gun Club !
- Hot Chicks & Robots !
- Mienfoks Christmas Refresher #2 - Scrooged
- ▼ December (61)