Wednesday, September 3, 2008
NEW DELHI — An old woman missing her upper front teeth holds a child in rumpled clothes — who is wearing a Fendi bib (retail price, about $100).
A man modeled a Burberry umbrella in Vogue that costs about $200. Some 456 million Indians live on less than $1.25 a day.
A family of three squeezes onto a motorbike for their daily commute, the mother riding without a helmet and sidesaddle in the traditional Indian way — except that she has a Hermès Birkin bag (usually more than $10,000, if you can find one) prominently displayed on her wrist.
Elsewhere, a toothless barefoot man holds a Burberry umbrella (about $200).
Welcome to the new India — at least as Vogue sees it.
Vogue India’s August issue presented a 16-page vision of supple handbags, bejeweled clutches and status-symbol umbrellas, modeled not by runway stars or the wealthiest fraction of Indian society who can actually afford these accessories, but by average Indian people.
Perhaps not surprisingly, not everyone in India was amused.
The editorial spread was “not just tacky but downright distasteful” said Kanika Gahlaut, a columnist for the daily newspaper Mail Today that is based here, who denounced it as an “example of vulgarity.”
There’s nothing “fun or funny” about putting a poor person in a mud hut in clothing designed by Alexander McQueen, she said in a telephone interview. “There are farmer suicides here, for God’s sake” she said, referring to thousands of Indian farmers who have killed themselves in the last decade because of debt.
Vogue India editor Priya Tanna’s message to critics of the August shoot: “Lighten up,” she said in a telephone interview. Vogue is about realizing the “power of fashion” she said, and the shoot was saying that “fashion is no longer a rich man’s privilege. Anyone can carry it off and make it look beautiful,” she said.
“You have to remember with fashion, you can’t take it that seriously,” Ms. Tanna said. “We weren’t trying to make a political statement or save the world,” she said.
Nearly half of India’s population — about 456 million people — live on less than $1.25 a day, according to World Bank figures released last week. But as any well-briefed luxury goods executive or private banker knows, India also has a fast-growing wealthy class and emerging middle class that make it one of the world’s most attractive new places to sell high-end products.
The juxtaposition between poverty and growing wealth presents an unsavory dilemma for luxury goods makers jumping into India: How does one sell something like a $1,000 handbag in a country where most people will never amass that sum of money in their lives, and many are starving? The answer is not clear cut, though Vogue’s approach may not be the way to go.
Read the NY Times article
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any po...
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
Wow Paulina still very perky at 44 ! Read about Paulas interesting childhood escaping the iron curtain THE NILES LESH PROJECT - ALL...
SHE IS A POTENTIAL F D I L F !!! Meghan McCain is a 23-year-old, socially liberal John Kerry voter who loves Superbad, Dita von Teese, Bud L...
Pat Venditte is a minor league pitcher with the Staten Island Yankees. He was selected in the 20th round of the 2008 draft with the 620th ov...
Donald Trump, a co-owner of “Miss USA”, “Miss Universe” and “Miss Teen USA” pageants, has come up with a new reality TV show which will take...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- DANIELLE BUX - Lingerie Launch Party
- SARAH PALIN - MISS ALASKA 84 - Swimsuit Competitio...
- DOUTZEN KROES - Bikini Candids
- DIESEL - The Best SFW Commercial Ever !
- DAVID BLAINE is Lame !
- PAUL NEWMAN - LEGEND - 1925 - 2008
- LONDON - Photographed at Night
- HURRICANES Photographed from Space !
- Mienfoks - INTERNET GOLD SERIES - #2
- DIORA BAIRD - MAXIM - October 2008
- AMANDA HEARD - Topless - FHM Magazine
- CHRISTINA AGUILERA - CITIZEN K Magazine
- PILAR MONTENEGRO - Maxim Espanol - October 2008
- MARISSA MILLER - Malibu Magazine
- KIM KARDASHIAN - ASS CHECK
- BRITNEY SPEARS - RETROSPECTIVE
- WELCOME TO OKTOBERFEST ! ! !
- I KISSED A DOG ( and I liked it) !
- MEGAN FOX - Eagle Eye Premier
- FINALLY - KITTY TOUPEES !
- KATHERINE MCPHEE - Sexy Red Dress !
- LAETITIA CASTA - NUDE - FRENCH ELLE
- 60TH ANNUAL EMMY AWARDS RED CARPET
- Mienfoks - INTERNET GOLD SERIES - #1
- YANKEE STADIUM - Thanks for the Memories !
- Glamour Girls - No Make Up - No Problem
- RUBBER DUCKIES Invade the Thames River ?
- JUSTENE JARO - Legends of My Space Series !
- MILA KUNIS - Candidly Sexy !
- SEPTEMBER 19TH,1982 - Birth of the Emoticon !
- DANIELLE LLOYD - Nude - Zoo Magazine
- HOLLY MADISON - BODY PAINT !
- METALLICA'S JAMES HETFIELD - Shopping Chic ?
- SOPHIE MONK - BIKINI CANDIDS
- ELLE MACPHERSON - GQ Man of Year Awards
- MEGAN FOX - GQ - OCTOBER 2008
- CNN - The Amorous Stockbrokers ?
- Japanese Tv - The Amorous Pig ?
- MIENFOKS EXCLUSIVE - EAST COAST EROTICA SHOW !
- CHUCKY - Celebrates his 20th Birthday in NYC !
- ADRIANA LIMA- Ugly Betty Shoot
- Finally - SARAH PALIN PANTIES !
- DAVID FOSTER WALLACE 1962 - 2008
- Mienfoks Leftovers - August 2008
- OCTAPODI - 8 Arms of Love !
- Sofia - The Worlds Smartest Beagle - Escapes !
- London Tries to Bite New York's Style ?
- KATIE DOWNES - LONDON - LINGERIE
- FINALLY - Superman vs Spiderman !
- MEREDETH SALENGER - Still Hot !
- ABIGAIL CLANCY - FHM Magazine
- The Good, the Bad & the Ugly Cities
- The T- Shirt of Terror ???
- Lower Manahttan 2001- 2008
- Finally - An Underwater Fashion Show !
- MICHELLE HUNZIKER - BIKINI BEACH FUN !
- FUPA - The Music Video ?
- Tom Brady's Rehab Begins !
- How TOM BRADY's Injury cost Fantasy Footballers $1...
- Green Polar Bears ???
- Holographic Monster in Tokyo Bay ???
- LINDSAY LOHAN - New york Fashion week
- ESQUIRE MAGAZINE OCTOBER 2008 - E INK ???
- 2008 Political Coventions in Photos !
- Sundays Random Web Photos !
- CHRISTINA RICCI - Bikini Candids
- JODIE MARSH - "Daylight Robbery" Premier
- CONAN OBRIEN - SARAH PALIN JOKES !
- EVA LONGORIA - The Lost Bikini Shoot !
- CHRISTINA AGUILERA - NUDE - LA CHAPELLE
- Warehouse worker destroys LeBron James at H-O-R-S-...
- GISELE BUNDCHEN - ARENA MAGAZINE
- ELTON JOHN Challenges LILY ALLEN'S Snorting Abilit...
- ULTRASONIC VIRTUAL CONTROL DEVICE ?
- Mienfoks Back to School Special ! ! !
- VOGUE INDIA'S CONTROVERSIAL SHOOT ?
- LYNX - Spray More Get More !
- LA TOMATINA FESTIVAL !
- WORST PAYING JOBS IN AMERICA ?
- CHARLIZE THERON - Surfer Girl !
- A - ROD The Worst Clutch Hitter of All Time ???
- ▼ September (81)