Thursday, September 4, 2008
The power of ultrasonic waves has been harnessed to produce "virtual" objects in mid-air.
The field of haptics - integrating computing and the sense of touch - has been around for some time but has required gloves or mechanical devices to impart a sense of feeling.
Now, a team of Japanese researchers has developed a system that uses focused ultrasound to do the job.
Its inventors may soon commercialise the approach.
Sense and sensibility
With the expansion in multimedia on the web, our eyes and ears are flooded with sensory information, but the sense of touch has been largely left behind.
The popularity of vibrating gaming handsets has proven that it is a rich but untapped way to increase interaction.
Takayuki Iwamoto and colleagues from the University of Tokyo have now demonstrated a simple haptic device that employs a number of ultrasonic transducers, which emit ultrasound.
Sound is a pressure wave, meaning that as the inaudible sound waves from each of the transducers interfere, they can create a focal point that is perceived as a solid object.
The team's prototype system includes a camera which tracks the position of a user's hand and shifts the output from the transducers to move the focus around with the hand. The result is a feeling of tracing the edge or surface of the virtual object.
At the moment, the system provides a small force only in the vertical dimension, but the team is improving the geometry of the array and the amount of power it can produce so that future devices will provide a stiffer feel and more contoured objects.
It's great to have something that you can just walk up and use
Prof Iwamoto envisions marrying the approach with 3-D modelling software and video games, and says that the team "received several proposals from industrial companies" when the prototype was demonstrated at a conference in California last month.
The system is "the first of its kind", according to haptics researcher Stephen Brewster of the University of Glasgow.
"You can feel it with both hands, rather than having just a single point of contact, and multiple people can use it at the same time," Prof Brewster says. "The kinds of things we use are connected through mechanical arms or you're wearing some kind of exoskeleton.
"It's great to have something that you can just walk up and use and not need any other kind of hardware you have to hold or wear."
The team is working to adjust how the transducers are driven in order to produce realistic textures as well as shapes.
However, the approach is limited in how much force it can produce, which in turn limits how hard or stiff the virtual objects can be. Beyond a certain amount of force, the device could scatter enough ultrasound to risk ear damage.
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
Wow Paulina still very perky at 44 ! Read about Paulas interesting childhood escaping the iron curtain THE NILES LESH PROJECT - ALL...
Where: Lekeitio, in the Basque region of Spain. What: Antzar Eguna or "Goose Day" has its roots in at least 350 years of Spanish i...
OSBORN COX? - NOW THAT IS A GREAT NAME !!!
Yes ALL of these women are over 50 years old, sure some of them have had some work, but I mean come on a few are grand mothers (GMILFS)!, a...
Larry Flynt, the wheelchair bound self-proclaimed "smut peddler" and "1st Amendment Crusader" has published photos of Na...
Eating fresh watermelon could help men pep up their love lives, scientists said yesterday. The fruit has a similar effect to taking Viagra, ...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- DANIELLE BUX - Lingerie Launch Party
- SARAH PALIN - MISS ALASKA 84 - Swimsuit Competitio...
- DOUTZEN KROES - Bikini Candids
- DIESEL - The Best SFW Commercial Ever !
- DAVID BLAINE is Lame !
- PAUL NEWMAN - LEGEND - 1925 - 2008
- LONDON - Photographed at Night
- HURRICANES Photographed from Space !
- Mienfoks - INTERNET GOLD SERIES - #2
- DIORA BAIRD - MAXIM - October 2008
- AMANDA HEARD - Topless - FHM Magazine
- CHRISTINA AGUILERA - CITIZEN K Magazine
- PILAR MONTENEGRO - Maxim Espanol - October 2008
- MARISSA MILLER - Malibu Magazine
- KIM KARDASHIAN - ASS CHECK
- BRITNEY SPEARS - RETROSPECTIVE
- WELCOME TO OKTOBERFEST ! ! !
- I KISSED A DOG ( and I liked it) !
- MEGAN FOX - Eagle Eye Premier
- FINALLY - KITTY TOUPEES !
- KATHERINE MCPHEE - Sexy Red Dress !
- LAETITIA CASTA - NUDE - FRENCH ELLE
- 60TH ANNUAL EMMY AWARDS RED CARPET
- Mienfoks - INTERNET GOLD SERIES - #1
- YANKEE STADIUM - Thanks for the Memories !
- Glamour Girls - No Make Up - No Problem
- RUBBER DUCKIES Invade the Thames River ?
- JUSTENE JARO - Legends of My Space Series !
- MILA KUNIS - Candidly Sexy !
- SEPTEMBER 19TH,1982 - Birth of the Emoticon !
- DANIELLE LLOYD - Nude - Zoo Magazine
- HOLLY MADISON - BODY PAINT !
- METALLICA'S JAMES HETFIELD - Shopping Chic ?
- SOPHIE MONK - BIKINI CANDIDS
- ELLE MACPHERSON - GQ Man of Year Awards
- MEGAN FOX - GQ - OCTOBER 2008
- CNN - The Amorous Stockbrokers ?
- Japanese Tv - The Amorous Pig ?
- MIENFOKS EXCLUSIVE - EAST COAST EROTICA SHOW !
- CHUCKY - Celebrates his 20th Birthday in NYC !
- ADRIANA LIMA- Ugly Betty Shoot
- Finally - SARAH PALIN PANTIES !
- DAVID FOSTER WALLACE 1962 - 2008
- Mienfoks Leftovers - August 2008
- OCTAPODI - 8 Arms of Love !
- Sofia - The Worlds Smartest Beagle - Escapes !
- London Tries to Bite New York's Style ?
- KATIE DOWNES - LONDON - LINGERIE
- FINALLY - Superman vs Spiderman !
- MEREDETH SALENGER - Still Hot !
- ABIGAIL CLANCY - FHM Magazine
- The Good, the Bad & the Ugly Cities
- The T- Shirt of Terror ???
- Lower Manahttan 2001- 2008
- Finally - An Underwater Fashion Show !
- MICHELLE HUNZIKER - BIKINI BEACH FUN !
- FUPA - The Music Video ?
- Tom Brady's Rehab Begins !
- How TOM BRADY's Injury cost Fantasy Footballers $1...
- Green Polar Bears ???
- Holographic Monster in Tokyo Bay ???
- LINDSAY LOHAN - New york Fashion week
- ESQUIRE MAGAZINE OCTOBER 2008 - E INK ???
- 2008 Political Coventions in Photos !
- Sundays Random Web Photos !
- CHRISTINA RICCI - Bikini Candids
- JODIE MARSH - "Daylight Robbery" Premier
- CONAN OBRIEN - SARAH PALIN JOKES !
- EVA LONGORIA - The Lost Bikini Shoot !
- CHRISTINA AGUILERA - NUDE - LA CHAPELLE
- Warehouse worker destroys LeBron James at H-O-R-S-...
- GISELE BUNDCHEN - ARENA MAGAZINE
- ELTON JOHN Challenges LILY ALLEN'S Snorting Abilit...
- ULTRASONIC VIRTUAL CONTROL DEVICE ?
- Mienfoks Back to School Special ! ! !
- VOGUE INDIA'S CONTROVERSIAL SHOOT ?
- LYNX - Spray More Get More !
- LA TOMATINA FESTIVAL !
- WORST PAYING JOBS IN AMERICA ?
- CHARLIZE THERON - Surfer Girl !
- A - ROD The Worst Clutch Hitter of All Time ???
- ▼ September (81)