WOW - I guess the future isn't as cool as I thought it would be...
READ THE REVIEWS
Hiroko Masuike for The New York Times
David Granger, Esquire’s editor in chief, now has all the pieces for an electronic cover after tracking the technology for years.
That illustrious history hangs over the magazine’s effort to celebrate its 75th year. Its attempt to add to the annals of museum-worthy covers includes a nod to the digital age: an electronic cover, using admittedly rudimentary technology, that will flash “the 21st Century Begins Now,” when it appears on newsstands in September.
“I hope it will be in the Smithsonian,” said David Granger, Esquire’s editor in chief, in a recent interview while showing prototypes of the cover — an early version has a cord sticking out that attaches to a battery pack.
If it does wind up in the Smithsonian, it will need a power source; on its own, the magazine will run out of juice after 90 days. Mr. Granger knows some will see the cover as a gimmick — but he says he thinks the technology behind it, which has been used for supermarket displays but never embedded in a magazine, speaks to the possibilities of print.
“Magazines have basically looked the same for 150 years,” Mr. Granger said. “I have been frustrated with the lack of forward movement in the magazine industry.”
Pointing to the prototype sitting on a conference room table, Mr. Granger said, “The possibilities of print have just begun. In two years, I hope this looks like cellphones did in 1982, or car phones.”
The company that produced the cover, E Ink, has a track record of innovation — its technology is used in Amazon.com’s e-book device, the Kindle. E Ink, a private company based in Cambridge, Mass., counts Hearst, Esquire’s parent, as a major shareholder.
“We are trying to combine a 21st-century technology with a 19th-century manufacturing process,” Mr. Granger said.
All of this, of course, is expensive. Which is why it was necessary for Esquire to find a sponsor. In stepped Ford Motor, which will have an advertisement on the inside of the cover that will use the same technology to promote its new minivan-sport utility vehicle, the Flex.
“We wanted the marketing plan for this vehicle to include motion as much as possible,” said Usha Raghavachari, communications manager for S.U.V.’s for Ford North America Marketing. “We had a desire to make our marketing launch as unique as the vehicle. This makes our print plan a little more energizing.”
Esquire has exclusive use of E Ink’s technology for use in print through 2009, and Mr. Granger said he hopes to come up with new ideas for it. “This is probably just a limited view of its use,” he said.
The electronic cover will be used in only 100,000 copies that go to newsstands — its overall circulation is about 720,000.
What Esquire is doing harks back to a big splash National Geographic made in 1984 when it introduced holography to the mass market by placing a hologram of an eagle on its cover.
Holograms did become widespread in things like greeting cards, even if they did not upend the publishing world.
“Part of the iconic DNA of the magazine is our covers,” said Mr. O’Malley, Esquire’s publisher. “I fully expect that in 25 to 30 years, this cover will be in a museum.”
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any po...
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
Wow Paulina still very perky at 44 ! Read about Paulas interesting childhood escaping the iron curtain THE NILES LESH PROJECT - ALL...
SHE IS A POTENTIAL F D I L F !!! Meghan McCain is a 23-year-old, socially liberal John Kerry voter who loves Superbad, Dita von Teese, Bud L...
Pat Venditte is a minor league pitcher with the Staten Island Yankees. He was selected in the 20th round of the 2008 draft with the 620th ov...
Donald Trump, a co-owner of “Miss USA”, “Miss Universe” and “Miss Teen USA” pageants, has come up with a new reality TV show which will take...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- DANIELLE BUX - Lingerie Launch Party
- SARAH PALIN - MISS ALASKA 84 - Swimsuit Competitio...
- DOUTZEN KROES - Bikini Candids
- DIESEL - The Best SFW Commercial Ever !
- DAVID BLAINE is Lame !
- PAUL NEWMAN - LEGEND - 1925 - 2008
- LONDON - Photographed at Night
- HURRICANES Photographed from Space !
- Mienfoks - INTERNET GOLD SERIES - #2
- DIORA BAIRD - MAXIM - October 2008
- AMANDA HEARD - Topless - FHM Magazine
- CHRISTINA AGUILERA - CITIZEN K Magazine
- PILAR MONTENEGRO - Maxim Espanol - October 2008
- MARISSA MILLER - Malibu Magazine
- KIM KARDASHIAN - ASS CHECK
- BRITNEY SPEARS - RETROSPECTIVE
- WELCOME TO OKTOBERFEST ! ! !
- I KISSED A DOG ( and I liked it) !
- MEGAN FOX - Eagle Eye Premier
- FINALLY - KITTY TOUPEES !
- KATHERINE MCPHEE - Sexy Red Dress !
- LAETITIA CASTA - NUDE - FRENCH ELLE
- 60TH ANNUAL EMMY AWARDS RED CARPET
- Mienfoks - INTERNET GOLD SERIES - #1
- YANKEE STADIUM - Thanks for the Memories !
- Glamour Girls - No Make Up - No Problem
- RUBBER DUCKIES Invade the Thames River ?
- JUSTENE JARO - Legends of My Space Series !
- MILA KUNIS - Candidly Sexy !
- SEPTEMBER 19TH,1982 - Birth of the Emoticon !
- DANIELLE LLOYD - Nude - Zoo Magazine
- HOLLY MADISON - BODY PAINT !
- METALLICA'S JAMES HETFIELD - Shopping Chic ?
- SOPHIE MONK - BIKINI CANDIDS
- ELLE MACPHERSON - GQ Man of Year Awards
- MEGAN FOX - GQ - OCTOBER 2008
- CNN - The Amorous Stockbrokers ?
- Japanese Tv - The Amorous Pig ?
- MIENFOKS EXCLUSIVE - EAST COAST EROTICA SHOW !
- CHUCKY - Celebrates his 20th Birthday in NYC !
- ADRIANA LIMA- Ugly Betty Shoot
- Finally - SARAH PALIN PANTIES !
- DAVID FOSTER WALLACE 1962 - 2008
- Mienfoks Leftovers - August 2008
- OCTAPODI - 8 Arms of Love !
- Sofia - The Worlds Smartest Beagle - Escapes !
- London Tries to Bite New York's Style ?
- KATIE DOWNES - LONDON - LINGERIE
- FINALLY - Superman vs Spiderman !
- MEREDETH SALENGER - Still Hot !
- ABIGAIL CLANCY - FHM Magazine
- The Good, the Bad & the Ugly Cities
- The T- Shirt of Terror ???
- Lower Manahttan 2001- 2008
- Finally - An Underwater Fashion Show !
- MICHELLE HUNZIKER - BIKINI BEACH FUN !
- FUPA - The Music Video ?
- Tom Brady's Rehab Begins !
- How TOM BRADY's Injury cost Fantasy Footballers $1...
- Green Polar Bears ???
- Holographic Monster in Tokyo Bay ???
- LINDSAY LOHAN - New york Fashion week
- ESQUIRE MAGAZINE OCTOBER 2008 - E INK ???
- 2008 Political Coventions in Photos !
- Sundays Random Web Photos !
- CHRISTINA RICCI - Bikini Candids
- JODIE MARSH - "Daylight Robbery" Premier
- CONAN OBRIEN - SARAH PALIN JOKES !
- EVA LONGORIA - The Lost Bikini Shoot !
- CHRISTINA AGUILERA - NUDE - LA CHAPELLE
- Warehouse worker destroys LeBron James at H-O-R-S-...
- GISELE BUNDCHEN - ARENA MAGAZINE
- ELTON JOHN Challenges LILY ALLEN'S Snorting Abilit...
- ULTRASONIC VIRTUAL CONTROL DEVICE ?
- Mienfoks Back to School Special ! ! !
- VOGUE INDIA'S CONTROVERSIAL SHOOT ?
- LYNX - Spray More Get More !
- LA TOMATINA FESTIVAL !
- WORST PAYING JOBS IN AMERICA ?
- CHARLIZE THERON - Surfer Girl !
- A - ROD The Worst Clutch Hitter of All Time ???
- ▼ September (81)