Sunday, February 8, 2009
James Whitmore, the veteran Tony- and Emmy-winning actor who brought American icons Will Rogers, Harry Truman and Theodore Roosevelt to life in one-man shows, died Friday. He was 87.
He graduated from Yale and served in the Marine Corp. Upon his return he began a 50 year career as an actor, winning a Tony for his Broadway role in Command Decision. He starred in the 1960-1961 television series The Law and Mr. Jones and his film work included several classic westerns. He won a Golden Globe in 1950 for his supporting role in Battleground. His last major role was in the 1994 film The Shawshank Redemption.
Whitmore was best known for his one man shows. He entertained audiences with his portrayals of former president’s Harry Truman and Teddy Roosevelt with his solo performances of Give ‘em Hell Harry!, Bully and delighted the crowd with his stand-up Will Rogers USA.
He cared about acting; his whole life was dedicated to the theater and to movies," said actor David Huddleston, a longtime friend who appeared in Whitmore's 1964 movie "Black Like Me" and did a couple of plays with him. "I asked James Cagney one time to tell me the best thing you can about acting. He said never to get caught at it. That's kind of how I'd sum up Jim Whitmore."
One of his best film roles was that of the Science Academy Chairman in 1968's Planet Of The Apes. It is the best acted scene of the movie where Taylor(Charleton Heston) has to defend himself as a man with no rights in a courtroom where only Apes are protected by laws
James Whitmore IMDB Page
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
Wow Paulina still very perky at 44 ! Read about Paulas interesting childhood escaping the iron curtain THE NILES LESH PROJECT - ALL...
SHE IS A POTENTIAL F D I L F !!! Meghan McCain is a 23-year-old, socially liberal John Kerry voter who loves Superbad, Dita von Teese, Bud L...
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any po...
Yes ALL of these women are over 50 years old, sure some of them have had some work, but I mean come on a few are grand mothers (GMILFS)!, a...
Where: Lekeitio, in the Basque region of Spain. What: Antzar Eguna or "Goose Day" has its roots in at least 350 years of Spanish i...
Wow, she's come a long way from the days of being Kevin's wet dream,...err well I guess she's still in the classroom, but now sh...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- MEGAN FOX - Street Cleavage !
- THE CREVASSE - Amazing 3-D street art !
- CHARLIZE THERON - Peggy Sirota Shoot
- The Legend Of MIckey Rourke !
- ELIZA DUSHKU - Maxim Magazine - March 2009
- MEL GIBSON is The Colonel
- DOUTZEN KROES - Disrobes for VMAN Magazine !
- Obama Says You Can Stop Worring About The Ecomomy ...
- 2009 CARNIVAL INTERNATIONAL !
- Top 2009 OSCAR Moments captured with my cell phone...
- KARDASHIANS - Add Monkey Power to Show !
- VICTORIA BECKHAM - Russian Vogue 2009
- CAMILLA BELLE - GQ Magazine March 2009
- LUCY CLARKSON is The New Lara Croft !
- STACY DASH - Gets Wet For SMOOTH Magazine
- AUBREY O'DAY - Playboy March 2009
- More Fake Posters !
- Wednesday's Leftovers
- SCARLETT JOHANSSON Pimps Dolce Gabbana
- The Office - Humping Hairballs ?
- The LIL' VIEW is awesome !
- MIRANDA KERR - David Jones Fall 2009 Collection
- BAR REFAELI - Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Shoot
- The Heart's Truth Red Dress Collection 2009
- St Valentine's Day Leftovers
- FARRAH FAWCETT - Back on My Wall (Blog) !
- OBAMA - Drops Macbeth Bomb !!!
- Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Hotties 2009
- JOAQUIN PHEONIX - Amazing Letterman Interview !
- HEDI KLUM - German GQ - Nude Again !
- SALMA HAYEK - Has Got Milk !
- SONY - Releases New Time Vampire !
- STUMP No Chump Sussex Spaniel is Westminster Cham...
- BAR REFAELI - Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Cover Gi...
- This Is Why You Are Fat !
- Battle of the February 2009 Cover girls !
- Stupid Gameshow Answers !
- JAMES WHITMORE 1921 - 2009
- MICKEY ROURKE - France Salutes you !
- La Princesse - Giant Mechanical Spider !
- BARACK OBAMA - Complicated Shit ?
- The Party Store ?
- ETTA JAMES is gonna whup BEYONCE'S Ass ?
- Reality TV - What About The Skanks ?
- EDDIE VAN HALEN - Reinvents the Guitar !
- BILL GATES - Releases Plague Upon the Earth ?
- INTERNET GOLD SERIES - # 33
- Akim Camara - Amazing 3- year old Violinist !
- Pigeon Smuggler ?
- PUNXSUTAWNEY Phil - Sees his shadow
- PLAYBOY'S - Annual Superbowl Party
- CHRISTIAN BALE - Terminator Tirade !
- Big Winners of Superbowl XLIII
- MICHAEL PHELPS - Bongwater Freestyle ?
- Awesome Vintage Underwater Photography
- ▼ February (55)
- ► 2008 (1240)