Sunday, February 24, 2008
Movie characters from the Terminator to the Bionic Woman use bionic eyes to zoom in on far-off scenes, have useful facts pop into their field of view, or create virtual crosshairs. Off the screen, virtual displays have been proposed for more practical purposes -- visual aids to help vision-impaired people, holographic driving control panels and even as a way to surf the Web on the go.
The device to make this happen may be familiar. Engineers at the University of Washington have for the first time used manufacturing techniques at microscopic scales to combine a flexible, biologically safe contact lens with an imprinted electronic circuit and lights.
"Looking through a completed lens, you would see what the display is generating superimposed on the world outside," said Babak Parviz, a UW assistant professor of electrical engineering. "This is a very small step toward that goal, but I think it's extremely promising." The results were presented today at the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers' international conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems by Harvey Ho, a former graduate student of Parviz's now working at Sandia National Laboratories in Livermore, Calif. Other co-authors are Ehsan Saeedi and Samuel Kim in the UW's electrical engineering department and Tueng Shen in the UW Medical Center's ophthalmology department.
There are many possible uses for virtual displays. Drivers or pilots could see a vehicle's speed projected onto the windshield. Video-game companies could use the contact lenses to completely immerse players in a virtual world without restricting their range of motion. And for communications, people on the go could surf the Internet on a midair virtual display screen that only they would be able to see.
"People may find all sorts of applications for it that we have not thought about. Our goal is to demonstrate the basic technology and make sure it works and that it's safe," said Parviz, who heads a multi-disciplinary UW group that is developing electronics for contact lenses.
The prototype device contains an electric circuit as well as red light-emitting diodes for a display, though it does not yet light up. The lenses were tested on rabbits for up to 20 minutes and the animals showed no adverse effects.
Ideally, installing or removing the bionic eye would be as easy as popping a contact lens in or out, and once installed the wearer would barely know the gadget was there, Parviz said.
Building the lenses was a challenge because materials that are safe for use in the body, such as the flexible organic materials used in contact lenses, are delicate. Manufacturing electrical circuits, however, involves inorganic materials, scorching temperatures and toxic chemicals. Researchers built the circuits from layers of metal only a few nanometers thick, about one thousandth the width of a human hair, and constructed light-emitting diodes one third of a millimeter across. They then sprinkled the grayish powder of electrical components onto a sheet of flexible plastic. The shape of each tiny component dictates which piece it can attach to, a microfabrication technique known as self-assembly. Capillary forces -- the same type of forces that make water move up a plant's roots, and that cause the edge of a glass of water to curve upward -- pull the pieces into position.
The prototype contact lens does not correct the wearer's vision, but the technique could be used on a corrective lens, Parviz said. And all the gadgetry won't obstruct a person's view.
"There is a large area outside of the transparent part of the eye that we can use for placing instrumentation," Parviz said. Future improvements will add wireless communication to and from the lens. The researchers hope to power the whole system using a combination of radio-frequency power and solar cells placed on the lens, Parviz said.
A full-fledged display won't be available for a while, but a version that has a basic display with just a few pixels could be operational "fairly quickly," according to Parviz.
The research was funded by the National Science Foundation and a Technology Gap Innovation Fund from the University of Washington.
For more information, contact Parviz at (206) 616-4038 or email@example.com.
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
Wow Paulina still very perky at 44 ! Read about Paulas interesting childhood escaping the iron curtain THE NILES LESH PROJECT - ALL...
SHE IS A POTENTIAL F D I L F !!! Meghan McCain is a 23-year-old, socially liberal John Kerry voter who loves Superbad, Dita von Teese, Bud L...
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
Where: Lekeitio, in the Basque region of Spain. What: Antzar Eguna or "Goose Day" has its roots in at least 350 years of Spanish i...
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any po...
Larry Flynt, the wheelchair bound self-proclaimed "smut peddler" and "1st Amendment Crusader" has published photos of Na...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- http://info.cern.ch/ - THE WORLDS OLDEST WEBSITE
- DICK GREGORY ON BILL CLINTON'S "BLACKNESS"
- AUTOMATED BREAST MASSAGER ???
- Kid's Pimp Suit Costume - Price: $ 39.99 ???
- MIENFOKS POLITICAL ENDORSEMENT - VOTE 4 HECTOR !
- New From Playmobil - Security Check Point
- SACREMENTO KINGS DANCERS PARTY SHOTS !
- HOW THE US ELECTION PROCESS WORKS ?
- BIG ASS COWS !
- Sécrétions Magnifiques perfume - blood, sweat, sal...
- William Frank Buckley, Jr. November 24, 1925 – Feb...
- FINALLY - EYEBALL TATOOS ???
- HOW CAPTAIN KIRK CHANGED THE WORLD ?
- MICROSOFT TAKES A 1.4 BILLION DOLLAR HIT
- MARION COTILLARD - BODY OF WORK
- DIABLO CODY - OLD SCHOOL PHOTOS
- ARE YOU A RACIST ???
- NEWPORT HARBOR - IT'S LIKE A REALITY SHOW ?
- THE NOKIA " MORPH " PHONE ???
- NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN "COIN TOSS" SPOOF
- 80TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS
- JENNIFER GARNER - 2008 OSCARS
- HEDI KLUM - 2008 OSCARS
- HILARY SWANK - 2008 OSCARS
- JESSICA ALBA - 2008 OSCARS
- PENELOPE CRUZ - 2008 OSCARS
- ANNE HATHAWAY - 2008 OSCARS
- MARION COTILLARD - 2008 OSCARS
- KATHERINE HEIGL - 2008 OSCARS
- JIMMY KIMMEL - STRIKES BACK !!!
- FOREIGNERS WIN ALL THE ACTING OSCARS !!!
- JENNIFER GARNER - RED CARPET MOMENT
- MILEY CYRUS - HANNA MONTANA - AUDITION TAPE
- MUSICAL SPONGEBOB RECTAL THERMOMETER ?
- HEDI KLUM - WILL BITE YOU ???
- MORE TOO CUTE ANIMAL PHOTOS
- FERGALICIOUS CLEAVAGE - VERSACE - MILAN
- MEGAN FOX - VERSACE SHOW - MILAN
- THE EYE - DIGITALLY ENHANCED ?
- KIERA KNIGHTLEY - HOLLYWOOD MAGIC ?
- WHAT HAPPENS IN THE BILL CLINTON LIBRARY ???
- Heraldists want penis reinstated on military badge...
- SOFIE MONK - AFI LOREAL SHOW -PARIS
- MAGIC LASER ILLUSIONS !!!
- DR SUE JOHANSSEN - HOW TO NOT TO GAG ?
- HAYDEN PANETTIERE - RED LIPSTICK
- DITA VON TEESE - STRIPTEASE
- FAMOUS CORPORATE LOGO HISTORY
- FAMOUS FAMILY PHOTOS
- YOU'RE A L**Y NO G**D M*R F*KER ???
- WACKY SIGNS
- RHIANNA - NAKED IN GERMAN FHM
- WOPPER JR - HONEY, HAVE YOU MET THE KING ?
- BE KIND AND REWIND - TRAILER & CONTROVERSY
- BRITNEY SPEARS - AGE PROGESSION PHOTOS
- CHRISTINA RICCI & REECE WITHERSPOON - "PENELOPE" P...
- THE PERFECT MAN MEETS THE PERFECT WOMAN ?
- MARILYN MONROE - THE CLASSIC ORIGINAL
- JESSICA ALBA "CLASSIC HORROR" LATINA MAGAZINE
- AMY WINEHOUSE - STEALTH TATOO ???
- BRITIAN INVADED BY THE SNAKEHEAD ???
- PRADA UNVEILS NEW "BUTT WINDOW" SKIRT ?
- KATE BECKENSDALE - FEBRUARY ESQUIRE
- WILL YOU TAKE THE 30 DAY SEX CHALLENGE ?
- WHAT IS FIDEL CASTRO DOING NOW ???
- OMG - THE HORROR ! THE HORROR !
- HILLARY 'S TOP TEN CAMPAIGN PROMISES ?
- FINALLY - AN ITUNES HACK - DOUBLETWIST !!!
- NANCY GRACE - CAN'T GET ANY LUV ???
- LINDSAY LOHAN AS MARILYN MONROE ???
- THE BLUE - EYED CONSPIRACY ???
- OUCH - THAT REALLY HURTS !
- ADRIANA LIMA - ELEGANTE ! ! !
- DESPERATE HOUSEWIFE SPANISH LESSONS ?
- SPONGEBONG HEMP PANTS ???
- THE CRAB NEBULA - HUBBLE TELESCOPE PHOTO
- VELVET VULVA PURSE ???
- $140,000 HOT WHEELS CAR ! ! !
- FRANCES BEAN COBAIN - HARPERS BAZAAR
- HOW TO OPEN A BEER BOTTLE ???
- GEMMA ATKINSON - BIKINI PICS
- THE HISTORY OF HEMP 101
- PENIS REDUCTION PILLS ???
- CLASSIC LOCAL COMMERCIAL "BOBS GREATEST HITS"
- CHRIS ROCK "HOW TO NOT GET YOUR ASS KICKED BY THE ...
- KATARINA STIKOUDI - GREEK MAXIM
- AMY SMART - REVEALING NECK LINE ???
- WHAT IS THE FALKIRK WHEEL ???
- MADONNA'S "FILTH AND WISDOM"
- ALL I EVER REALLY WANTED - A GIANT TALKING ROBOT !...
- VENUS POSTER BANNED BY LONDON UNDERGROUND
- JANE FONDA DROPS THE C - BOMB ON THE TODAY SHOW
- BAR REFAELI - SPORTS ILLUSTRATED 2008
- MARISSA MILLER - SPORTS ILLUSTRATED 2008
- HAPPY ST VALENTINE'S DAY ! ! !
- EVANGELINE LILLY (KATE"LOST") PHONE SEX AD
- FINALLY - WHOLESOME SWIMWEAR ! ! !
- FINALLY - FISH FLAVORED BEER ! ! !
- SCARLETT JOHANNSON & NATALIE PORTMAN "GOTHIC" ???...
- GARY COLEMAN'S SECRET MARRAIGE ???
- ▼ February (158)