Tuesday, February 19, 2008
The Blue-Eyed Rule: Freakish Fact for Presidents' Day
Posted by: Michael Medved ORIGINAL STORY AT TOWNHALL.COM
On the Presidents’ Day observance meant to celebrate our chief executives, it’s worth considering one striking trait that nearly all these men seem to have shared —an astonishing 38 of our 43 presidents had blue eyes.
My friend Mark Weinstein (a film and advertising composer) called to my attention the odd fact that nearly all presidents since 1900 had blue, grey, or hazel eyes --- since 1900, only Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon had the brown eyes characteristic of a large majority of today’s Americans (less than 20% of current U.S. residents have blue, grey or green eyes). Mark suggested that with John McCain’s bright blue eyes, and Barack Obama’s brown peepers, the Arizona Senator boasted a previously unacknowledged advantage.
I became so interested in this assertion that I began looking into eye color and the occupants of the White House, going all the way back to George Washington (with his penetrating blue-gray gaze). It turns out that in all of U.S. history, only five presidents had brown eyes – John Quincy Adams, Andrew Johnson, Chester A. Arthur, LBJ and Nixon. All the rest were clearly described with blue, grey, or hazel eyes.
The only president for whom I couldn’t find definitive information on eye color was William Henry Harrison, but since he served for only 30 days in 1841 before he inconveniently died in office (the first president to do so), he hardly counts. In any event, I suspect he also had blue or green or grey eyes, since contemporaries described his hair as light brown (before it went grey). If anyone can help with authoritative information on the ocular characteristics of Old Tippecanoe, I’d certainly appreciate it.
In any event, it’s not easy to make sense of the brute fact of the dominance of blue-eyes (which are, after all, a recessive, not a dominant genetic attribute) in the White House.
First, consider the brown-eyed exceptions and their troubled history in office: two of our three presidents who faced serious impeachment proceedings (Andrew Johnson and Richard Nixon) were among our brown-eyed minority. The other three brownies (John Quincy Adams, Chester A. Arthur, and Lyndon Johnson) all hoped to win an additional term as president but failed to do, falling victim to bitter political critics and rivals.
All of our presidents who have been considered great, or near great by historians, had blue eyes. Anyone want to try an explanation?
The general incidence of blue eyes in the population is about 16% today. In 1950, it was estimated at 30%; in 1900, 50%. With increased immigration and intermarriage among ethnic groups, brown eyes (a dominant genetic trait) have become increasingly common while blue eyes have grown surprisingly rare. My family offers a case in point: my grandmother (my father’s mother) was a blue-eyed blonde, and all four of my very blonde wife’s grandparents were blue-eyed. But my own brown eyes have taken charge of the family inheritance, so all of our three kids have dark brown eyes.
Before the power of the dominant brown-eyed genes kicked in, the initial ethnic stock of the United States--- from England, Scotland, Ireland and Germany, primarily – may have possessed a blue-eyed majority.
Even so, our population almost certainly never featured the 89% blue-eyed incidence of all our presidents. And, as noted above, 108 years ago, blue-eyed people represented only 50% of the population, but since that time they’ve been 88% of the chief executives – any way you look at it, a highly disproportionate (and consistently disproportionate) number.
Does this mean anything? Do we find those with light eyes more commanding, more impressive, more attractive, more appealing? Would this reaction matter in by-gone eras when only a handful of citizens saw the presidents in person, and crude black-and-white images could hardly communicate eye color?
Nevertheless, this overwhelming pattern does suggest that when we give candidates the eye, we should look into their eyes.
And there’s no getting around one uncomfortable fact: Hillary Clinton most certainly does have blue-grey eyes.
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
Eating fresh watermelon could help men pep up their love lives, scientists said yesterday. The fruit has a similar effect to taking Viagra, ...
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any po...
OSBORN COX? - NOW THAT IS A GREAT NAME !!!
SADLY ITS ON IN THE UK ONLY U ndressing the nation: The style gurus strip down to their bras ITV has been bombarded with complaints after a...
Business must be slow for porn star Amy Reid these days. Reid is advertising her “services” on an escort service website. Now you too can pi...
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
Yes ALL of these women are over 50 years old, sure some of them have had some work, but I mean come on a few are grand mothers (GMILFS)!, a...
Hey ! Its Been Awhile Right ? So since the last post a lot has happened mostly this... - All Rights Reserved 2010 - The Niles Les...
Larry Flynt, the wheelchair bound self-proclaimed "smut peddler" and "1st Amendment Crusader" has published photos of Na...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- http://info.cern.ch/ - THE WORLDS OLDEST WEBSITE
- DICK GREGORY ON BILL CLINTON'S "BLACKNESS"
- AUTOMATED BREAST MASSAGER ???
- Kid's Pimp Suit Costume - Price: $ 39.99 ???
- MIENFOKS POLITICAL ENDORSEMENT - VOTE 4 HECTOR !
- New From Playmobil - Security Check Point
- SACREMENTO KINGS DANCERS PARTY SHOTS !
- HOW THE US ELECTION PROCESS WORKS ?
- BIG ASS COWS !
- Sécrétions Magnifiques perfume - blood, sweat, sal...
- William Frank Buckley, Jr. November 24, 1925 – Feb...
- FINALLY - EYEBALL TATOOS ???
- HOW CAPTAIN KIRK CHANGED THE WORLD ?
- MICROSOFT TAKES A 1.4 BILLION DOLLAR HIT
- MARION COTILLARD - BODY OF WORK
- DIABLO CODY - OLD SCHOOL PHOTOS
- ARE YOU A RACIST ???
- NEWPORT HARBOR - IT'S LIKE A REALITY SHOW ?
- THE NOKIA " MORPH " PHONE ???
- NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN "COIN TOSS" SPOOF
- 80TH ANNUAL ACADEMY AWARDS
- JENNIFER GARNER - 2008 OSCARS
- HEDI KLUM - 2008 OSCARS
- HILARY SWANK - 2008 OSCARS
- JESSICA ALBA - 2008 OSCARS
- PENELOPE CRUZ - 2008 OSCARS
- ANNE HATHAWAY - 2008 OSCARS
- MARION COTILLARD - 2008 OSCARS
- KATHERINE HEIGL - 2008 OSCARS
- JIMMY KIMMEL - STRIKES BACK !!!
- FOREIGNERS WIN ALL THE ACTING OSCARS !!!
- JENNIFER GARNER - RED CARPET MOMENT
- MILEY CYRUS - HANNA MONTANA - AUDITION TAPE
- MUSICAL SPONGEBOB RECTAL THERMOMETER ?
- HEDI KLUM - WILL BITE YOU ???
- MORE TOO CUTE ANIMAL PHOTOS
- FERGALICIOUS CLEAVAGE - VERSACE - MILAN
- MEGAN FOX - VERSACE SHOW - MILAN
- THE EYE - DIGITALLY ENHANCED ?
- KIERA KNIGHTLEY - HOLLYWOOD MAGIC ?
- WHAT HAPPENS IN THE BILL CLINTON LIBRARY ???
- Heraldists want penis reinstated on military badge...
- SOFIE MONK - AFI LOREAL SHOW -PARIS
- MAGIC LASER ILLUSIONS !!!
- DR SUE JOHANSSEN - HOW TO NOT TO GAG ?
- HAYDEN PANETTIERE - RED LIPSTICK
- DITA VON TEESE - STRIPTEASE
- FAMOUS CORPORATE LOGO HISTORY
- FAMOUS FAMILY PHOTOS
- YOU'RE A L**Y NO G**D M*R F*KER ???
- WACKY SIGNS
- RHIANNA - NAKED IN GERMAN FHM
- WOPPER JR - HONEY, HAVE YOU MET THE KING ?
- BE KIND AND REWIND - TRAILER & CONTROVERSY
- BRITNEY SPEARS - AGE PROGESSION PHOTOS
- CHRISTINA RICCI & REECE WITHERSPOON - "PENELOPE" P...
- THE PERFECT MAN MEETS THE PERFECT WOMAN ?
- MARILYN MONROE - THE CLASSIC ORIGINAL
- JESSICA ALBA "CLASSIC HORROR" LATINA MAGAZINE
- AMY WINEHOUSE - STEALTH TATOO ???
- BRITIAN INVADED BY THE SNAKEHEAD ???
- PRADA UNVEILS NEW "BUTT WINDOW" SKIRT ?
- KATE BECKENSDALE - FEBRUARY ESQUIRE
- WILL YOU TAKE THE 30 DAY SEX CHALLENGE ?
- WHAT IS FIDEL CASTRO DOING NOW ???
- OMG - THE HORROR ! THE HORROR !
- HILLARY 'S TOP TEN CAMPAIGN PROMISES ?
- FINALLY - AN ITUNES HACK - DOUBLETWIST !!!
- NANCY GRACE - CAN'T GET ANY LUV ???
- LINDSAY LOHAN AS MARILYN MONROE ???
- THE BLUE - EYED CONSPIRACY ???
- OUCH - THAT REALLY HURTS !
- ADRIANA LIMA - ELEGANTE ! ! !
- DESPERATE HOUSEWIFE SPANISH LESSONS ?
- SPONGEBONG HEMP PANTS ???
- THE CRAB NEBULA - HUBBLE TELESCOPE PHOTO
- VELVET VULVA PURSE ???
- $140,000 HOT WHEELS CAR ! ! !
- FRANCES BEAN COBAIN - HARPERS BAZAAR
- HOW TO OPEN A BEER BOTTLE ???
- GEMMA ATKINSON - BIKINI PICS
- THE HISTORY OF HEMP 101
- PENIS REDUCTION PILLS ???
- CLASSIC LOCAL COMMERCIAL "BOBS GREATEST HITS"
- CHRIS ROCK "HOW TO NOT GET YOUR ASS KICKED BY THE ...
- KATARINA STIKOUDI - GREEK MAXIM
- AMY SMART - REVEALING NECK LINE ???
- WHAT IS THE FALKIRK WHEEL ???
- MADONNA'S "FILTH AND WISDOM"
- ALL I EVER REALLY WANTED - A GIANT TALKING ROBOT !...
- VENUS POSTER BANNED BY LONDON UNDERGROUND
- JANE FONDA DROPS THE C - BOMB ON THE TODAY SHOW
- BAR REFAELI - SPORTS ILLUSTRATED 2008
- MARISSA MILLER - SPORTS ILLUSTRATED 2008
- HAPPY ST VALENTINE'S DAY ! ! !
- EVANGELINE LILLY (KATE"LOST") PHONE SEX AD
- FINALLY - WHOLESOME SWIMWEAR ! ! !
- FINALLY - FISH FLAVORED BEER ! ! !
- SCARLETT JOHANNSON & NATALIE PORTMAN "GOTHIC" ???...
- GARY COLEMAN'S SECRET MARRAIGE ???
- ▼ February (158)