Thought Arthur Fonzarelli couldn't get any cooler? Meet the bronze Fonz.
Actor Henry Winkler, left, poses with a bronze statue of the 'Happy Days' character he portrayed, Arthur Fonzarelli, also known as 'The Fonz,' at an unveiling, Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2008, in Milwaukee. The program, which ran from 1974-1984, was based in Milwaukee.
MILWAUKEE - His hair will always be in place, he doesn't mind if you touch the leather and he's far too heavy to jump the shark.
Dozens of people lined the Milwaukee River on Tuesday to cheer the unveiling of a statue of the "Happy Days" character, including Henry Winkler himself. The man who was cast as the Fonz — then cast in bronze — pretended to comb the statue's hair and put his arm around the smiling, life-size likeness, which is giving two thumbs up.
"To see it in real life and that it exists it's just, it's just unbelievable. It really is," Winkler told the invite-only crowd and others gathered nearby trying to hear.
Milwaukee joins at least six other cities around the nation that have erected statues of classic television or movie characters.
Though no scenes were filmed here, "Happy Days" took place in Milwaukee during its TV run from 1974 to 1984. Most of the cast was on hand Tuesday, along with the show's creator, director and producer Garry Marshall, and actors Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams from the spin-off "Laverne & Shirley."
Ron Howard, who played Richie Cunningham, was filming a movie and wasn't able to make it. Winkler's two sons, daughter and wife were also in the audience.
Garry Marshall was playful at the podium, making the crowd laugh.
"Hi, I'm Penny's brother," he said, referring to his well-known sister, actress-director Penny Marshall.
The show's executive producer, Thomas L. Miller, talked him out of basing the show in the Bronx, where the Marshalls grew up, Marshall said. Miller was born in Milwaukee.
"To think back and I made up a character, you know, and just made it up but suddenly a man came named Henry Winkler, and he made this character real."
He then gave Winkler a hug.
The sculptor, Gerald Sawyer, put the initials of Winkler and his wife in the veins in the hands, "like the David in Italy," Winkler said.
Two booster groups, VISIT Milwaukee and Spirit Milwaukee, helped raise funds for the statue. The cable network TV Land also contributed.
TV Land fully sponsored six other statues, but since ended the program. Those are Mary Tyler Moore in Minneapolis; Bob Newhart in Chicago; Elvis Presley in Honolulu; Ralph Kramden in New York; Samantha from "Bewitched" in Salem, Mass.; and Andy Griffith in Raleigh, N.C.
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
Wow Paulina still very perky at 44 ! Read about Paulas interesting childhood escaping the iron curtain THE NILES LESH PROJECT - ALL...
Where: Lekeitio, in the Basque region of Spain. What: Antzar Eguna or "Goose Day" has its roots in at least 350 years of Spanish i...
OSBORN COX? - NOW THAT IS A GREAT NAME !!!
Wow what a week SuperBowl hype and the Pirelli Calendar featuring Terry Richardson's fantastic photos of the world most beautiful toples...
Yes ALL of these women are over 50 years old, sure some of them have had some work, but I mean come on a few are grand mothers (GMILFS)!, a...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- SURFERS - RIP CURL - BACKSIDE AIR ! ! !
- The New HARI PUTTAR Movie Trailer ???
- MIENFOKS - COLLEGE FOOTBALL TOP 20 !
- KEELEY HAZELL - TOPLESS GOLDEN GIRL !
- KATE MOSS - The $2.8 MILLION GOLD STATUE ?
- Californication' star in rehab for sex addiction
- KATE MOSS - INTERVIEW Magazine - Nudes
- KATE HUDSON - W Magazine _ Photoshopped ???
- FOX NEWS Reporter Gets a Big Tip !
- AWKWARD OLYMPIC MOMENTS
- MIENFOKS - Gone Fishing !
- BARBIE Fishing Pole Hooks Record Catfish !
- ALIEN HEADS - Don't Smile Barackula !
- ADRIANA LIMA & Doutzen Kroes - SuperModel Obsessio...
- US Women's Soccer Team Wins the Gold !
- TIKI BARBER Calls Host a Total Medal C***t ???
- KERRY WALSH & MISTY MAY - Golden Girls Again !
- LERYN FRANCO - Paraguay 's Sexy Olympic Javelin Th...
- ERNEST BORGNINE 91 - SECRET TO A LONG LIFE
- ROSANNE BARR - Not Pulling Any Punches !
- DITA VON TEESE - Wonderbra Lingerie
- The Bronze Fonz !
- OLYMPIC POSTER ART
- Laure Manaudou is the Most Naked Olympian !
- BIA & BIANCA FERES - SEXIEST OLYMPIC ATHLETES
- You Can Take Your Bronze Medal and ...!
- The Passion of Women's Olympic Fencing !
- KERRY WALSH - Kicks Butt for Aids Awareness
- RHIANNA & CHRIS BROWN - Just Chillin' ???
- BEIJING OLYMPIC CHEERLEADERS ! ! !
- ANNA KORNIKOVA - MAXIM - SEPTEMBER 2008
- LUCY LUI - WINNING LOOKS - HARPER'S BAZAAR
- Live TV News - Cow Dump !
- Olympic Athletes in German PLAYBOY !
- No More Parties at the PLAYBOY Mansion ???
- Russian High Heel Races !
- Spain's Olympic Sized Controversy ?
- AMAZING WATERFALL MESSAGE BOARD !
- Random Stuff I Found on the Web back in July
- WHY DOES YOUR DOG YAWN AT YOU ?
- OLYMPIC MOMENTS TO REMEMBER !
- ISAAC HAYES ( 1943-2008 )
- 2008 OLYMPIC GAMES OPEN BEIJING STYLE !
- NEREIDA GALLARDO - The Topless Summer !
- BERNIE MAC - COMEDIAN (1958 - 2008)
- EVA HERZIGOVA - Topless - Italian GQ
- DANICA MCKELLAR - WINNIE COOPER from The Wonder Ye...
- Come See Coney Island's Waterboard Thrill Ride
- Mienfoks - Beijing Olympic Preview - Womens Beach ...
- 9 YEAR OLD ROCK OZZY'S "CRAZY TRAIN" ! ! !
- AMANDA BEARD - NUDE AGAIN IN BEJING !
- The Best Costumes of Comic - Con !
- EVA MENDEZ - Secret Obsession ?
- EAGLES CHEERLEADERS - Now 95% Organic !
- KATE MOSS - ROBERTO CAVALLI STYLE
- The Dancing Bears - Express Yourself !
- KLONDIKE CLUB - WHAT WOULD YOU DO ???
- VICTORIA'S SECRET - GIRLS GONE WILD - GQ !
- JIM BROWN - Don't Play That !
- RHIANNA. JESSICA ALBA & JENNIFER ANISTON - Hello !...
- World's Oldest Known Joke is a Fart Joke !
- MR T'S Snickers Ad Pulled for Speed Walker Offence...
- JODIE MARSH -Topless - ZOO Magazine
- Golden Retriever Adopts Baby White Tiger Cubs !
- ▼ August (64)