Sunday, September 30, 2007
PHILADELPHIA — Shane Victorino doused the fans with a fire hose, Brett Myers and Ryan Howard jumped into the stands to join the celebration and Hall of Fame announcer Harry Kalas sang "High Hopes" over the public address system. Believe it, Philly. The Fightin' Phils are going to the playoffs — just as Jimmy Rollins predicted way back in January.
"There's only one more celebration to try and go for now and that's the whole thing," Howard said.
Considered all-but-out of contention just 2 1/2 weeks ago, the Philadelphia Phillies overcame a huge deficit in the standings, caught the Mets and won their first NL East title since 1993 on the final day.
Howard hit his 47th homer, 44-year-old Jamie Moyer pitched 5 1-3 gutsy innings and the Phillies, backed by a crowd going crazy, beat Washington 6-1 Sunday to end a 14-year playoff drought.
Myers tossed his glove underhanded straight in the air and jumped off the mound after striking out Wily Mo Pena to end it. Pat Burrell ran out of the dugout and hugged Myers and everyone piled on.
The party was on, and it lasted for hours right there on the field, thousands of fans staying to enjoy a rare moment in Philly.
"This has been an incredible ride and we've got to keep going," Burrell said.
The Phillies also needed help up I-95 to clinch, and got it from Florida. The Marlins beat the Mets 8-1 to ensure there wouldn't be a tiebreaker playoff game on Monday.
Philadelphia rallied from seven games down on Sept. 12, matching the biggest September comeback in major league history. The Phillies and the Mets went into the last day tied for the division lead.
Now, it's the Phillies who are advancing to the postseason for only the 10th time in their history. They'll host Game 1 of the first round Wednesday against the winner of Monday's wild-card tiebreaker between San Diego and Colorado.
Somehow it seemed fitting the Phillies enjoyed success the same season they became the first team in professional sports to lose 10,000 games.
A team known for one of the biggest collapses in baseball — they blew a 6 1/2-game lead with 12 games left in the 1964 NL race — took advantage of a colossal fold to finish first. The Phils won 13 of their last 17 and wound up 89-73.
The Phillies' long-suffering fans are quite familiar with heartbreak and failure. One World Series championship (1980) in 125 years makes for plenty of disappointing finishes, especially in recent seasons.
In 2005, the Phillies were eliminated on the final day. Last year, they were knocked out on the next-to-last day of the season.
Finally, the die-hards have reason to celebrate.
Guided by heavily criticized manager Charlie Manuel, Philadelphia overcame a 4-11 start and numerous injuries to key players. Yet even in mid-September, the comeback kids — they rallied for 48 come-from-behind wins this season — never gave up.
"No matter what the stakes are, we're never going to quit," center fielder Aaron Rowand said.
Many players admitted they shifted their focus to the wild-card race earlier this month. Once the Mets started free-falling, helped by Philadelphia's three-game sweep at Shea Stadium on Sept. 14-16, winning the division became a possibility.
No major league team failed to finish first after having at least a seven-game lead with 17 to play. The Phillies joined the 1934 Cardinals and 1938 Cubs as the only teams to overcome seven-game deficits in the final month.
"The Mets just hit a bad streak, and we were able to take advantage," general manager Pat Gillick said.
The Phillies hadn't spent a day in first place until tying the Mets on Thursday night. They moved into sole possession of first Friday, but gave it right back with a loss on Saturday.
Before they took the field against the Nationals, the Phillies looked up at the out-of-town scoreboard and saw the Mets were trailing 7-0. And, you didn't have to be inside the ballpark to know that score.
When the Marlins scored their fourth run in a seven-run first inning, one tailgater leaped high in the air off the back of his flatbed pickup, landing feet-first on a plastic Mets helmet, crushing it into tiny pieces. His buddies circled around and mocked New York fans with "Jo-se, Jose, Jose, Jose, Jo-se, Jo-se!" in the singsong pattern of soccer's "Ole" chant.
Jose Reyes isn't going to the playoffs, but Rollins is on his way. Rollins took heat for boldly predicting last winter that the Phillies were the team to beat in the NL East. Rollins backed up his words with an MVP-caliber season, and added one more highlight to a sensational year with an RBI triple in the sixth.
"I'm no prophet, just a baseball player," Rollins said.
With the crowd emphatically chanting "M-V-P!" during Rollins' at-bat, he lined his 20th triple into the right-field corner for a 5-1 lead.
Sensing something special, the sellout crowd at Citizens Bank Park never chanted "E-A-G-L-E-S!" Sunday or during the six-game homestand.
Not since the days of the Dude and Wild Thing — Lenny Dykstra and Mitch Williams — has a Phillies team captured the hearts of a city starved for a championship. The NBA's 76ers were the last to win a title in 1983.
And leave it to a native son to deliver at a crucial time. While fellow 40-something Tom Glavine struggled for the Mets, Moyer (14-12) was sharp. Moyer grew up in nearby Souderton and played hooky from school to attend the Phillies' victory parade on Broad Street in 1980.
The crafty left-hander allowed one unearned run and five hits, striking out six. He baffled hitters with a typical mix of offspeed pitches and barely 80-mph fastball.
"I'd like to be going down Broad Street again on one of those floats instead of watching the floats go by," Moyer said.
Tom Gordon, J.C. Romero and Myers finished it off with 3 2-3 scoreless innings.
Rollins singled leading off the bottom of the first against Jason Bergmann (6-6). He stole second and third and scored on Chase Utley's sacrifice fly to give the Phillies a 1-0 lead.
In the third, Howard made it 3-0 with a two-out, two-run single. His solo shot in the seventh capped the scoring.
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
SHE IS A POTENTIAL F D I L F !!! Meghan McCain is a 23-year-old, socially liberal John Kerry voter who loves Superbad, Dita von Teese, Bud L...
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
Princess Eugenie of York, 18, daughter of Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York and Prince Andrew Wales, Duke of York, took part in a naked celebr...
ANA PAULA CONNELY JULIANA SILVA LARISSA FRANCA MICHELE MOORE SUZANNE STONEBARGER SEE THEM ALL AT WORLDOFISSAC
Where: Lekeitio, in the Basque region of Spain. What: Antzar Eguna or "Goose Day" has its roots in at least 350 years of Spanish i...
Wow Paulina still very perky at 44 ! Read about Paulas interesting childhood escaping the iron curtain THE NILES LESH PROJECT - ALL...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- ► 2008 (1240)
- PHILLIES - NATIONAL LEAGUE EAST CHAMPS ! ! !
- SCARLETT JOHANNSON "GLAMOUR GIRL"
- JENNIFER IS SUCH A POPULAR NAME
- WINONA RIDER - NEW MORE MATURE LOOK ?
- HOT ISRAEL - SEXIEST ARMY IN THE WORLD !
- HILARIOUS CELL PHONE MISHAP ! ! !
- OPRAH STILL THE RICHEST CELEBRITY
- ORPHANED HEDGEHOGS ADOPT BRUSH MOTHER
- MILLA JOVOVICH - 193LBS & PREGNANT !
- WHAT'S IN A TWINKIE ???
- RESCUE OF BABY BLACK BEAR FROM BRIDGE
- TOSCANI'S NUDE ANOREXIA BILLBOARD
- J - LO'S BACK IN ARENA MAGAZINE ! ! !
- AUSSIES SET WORLD RECORD BIKINI POSE
- THE ALL BEER DIET ???
- HOW DOES A BANK MAKE MONEY ???
- BRITNEY SPEARS - NEW DO ?
- ULITIMATE CELEBRITY JEOPARDY CHALLENGE
- EDDIE MURPHY -JAMES BROWN'S CELBRITY HOT TUB PARTY...
- BRAIN GAMES - THE BRAIN CONTROLS THE EYES
- PARIS HILTON - FRENCH CALL GIRL LOOK
- CAN YOU PASS THE " F " TEST ???
- WHAT DOES THE FIRST AMENDMENT SAY AGAIN ?
- CHASERS WAR - DO US MUSLIMS NEED ID ?
- SPANISH LESSONS IN LOVE ?
- BEST LIVE ON - AIR "CHUNK" BLOW EVER ! ! !
- OJ SIMPSON'S BIGGEST FAN ???
- FAMILY GUY - RUSH LIMBAUGH OF THE FUTURE
- SEX & THE CITY - THE GOOD "OLD" DAYS ???
- MARCIA & JAN NOT SO GAY AFTER ALL ???
- WHY A BASEBALL GAME IS "THE PERFECT DATE" !
- KIM KARDASHIAN - 12 PAGE PLAYBOY SPREAD !
- ALICIA SILVERSTONES BANNED NUDIE PETA AD
- OSCAR DE LA HOYA - CALL ME GOLDIE ???
- FRED AND BARNEY GET SMOKED UP ???
- BOSTON AIRPORT - NO TASTE FOR ART ???
- JESUS COMES BACK TO PARTY ???
- MARCIA, MARCIA, MARCIA. . . FASTER, FASTER, FASTER...
- COME FLY WITH ME ! ! !
- WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN ???
- PAPARAZZI - A BREAKOUT OF CELEBRITY CONNECTION !
- VIDA GUERRA - SEXY BIKINI MODEL
- THUG LIFE ON DA STREETS ???
- JAPANESE TV - OPENING A BEER WITH A HELICOPTER ?
- THE TRAIN TRACK MARKET PLACE ???
- THE VIEW - "IS THE WORLD FLAT" ?
- CRAZED COW CORRALLED BY NYPD ! ! !
- VANESSA HUDGENS - PERSONAL PHOTOS
- POLISH POLITICAL PARTY POSES NUDE !
- JESSICA ALBA - SEXY UNDERWEAR ?
- VANESSA HUDGENS GIVES GOOD ADVICE ???
- ANGELINE JOLIE CLAIMS ONLY 4 LOVERS ???
- DIRTY DOODLES ???
- SEXY SIENNA MILLER
- COLLEGE KID GETS "TAZED" BY POLICE FOR ASKING A QU...
- NEBRASKA SENATOR SUES GOD ???
- URBAN MOTORCROSS FREESTYLERS ! ! !
- JENNIFER ELLISON - BLACK BIKINI PHOTOS
- CHINESE MAN KILLED BY THE INTERNET ???
- SALLY FIELD EMMY ACCEPTANCE SPEECH
- $250,000 FOR A NIGHT WITH PAM ???
- CHEERS' OWN CLIFF CLAVIN ON JEOPARDY
- CHINESE FREESTYLE ROLLER BLADER
- YOUNG HOLLYWOOD GLAMOUR !!!
- WHY IS PLUTO SO PISSED OFF ???
- PAMPITA - ARGENTINA'S SEXIEST MODEL
- BELICHICK NEEDS $500 K CHECK AFTER CHEATING FINE...
- ZENO- THE ARTIFICIAL BOY ! ! !
- HOW MANY VIRGINS WAS THAT ...???
- REJECTED TV ANCHOR AUDITION ARCHIVES
- JAPAN LAUNCHES MOON MISSION
- TIME MAGAZINE- 100 BEST TV SHOWS EVER !
- VANESSA HUDGENS - GIRLFRIENDS ?
- J-LO SHOWS OFF HER "REAL WOMAN" CURVES
- CATHERINE ZETA-JONES "TATTLER MAGAZINE"
- THE "ITS EVERY CUSS WORD WE KNOW" SONG !
- SEXY CELEBRITIES AT THE MARC JACOBS FASHION SHOW
- SEN LARRY CRAIG - "NOT GUILT, NOT GAY" ?
- HOW NOT TO SAY "HONEY, I'M SORRY"
- TECHNOLOGY OF THE FUTURE ! ! !
- 911 - COINCIDENCES, INCOMPETENTS, CONSPIRACY ?
- BRITNEY SPEARS - MTV MUSIC AWARDS
- COLORADO WOMAN IS LICENSED BEAVER LOVER
- MARIAH CAREY - BLACK ? WHITE ? SEXY ! ! !
- HOW AMERICA KEEPS THE WORLD SAFE ???
- WHAT DOES YOUR DOG THINK ???
- JAPANESE TV - MORE HUMAN TETRIS !!!
- JENNIFER ELLISON - ORANGE BIKINI PHOTOS
- MITCH HEDBERG - STILL MAKES ME LAUGH !
- LATEST COLLEGE CRAZE "GIRL ON GIRL ASTRO LUBE WRES...
- ASHLEY TISDALE - COUNTDOWN TO INTERNET NUDITY
- A BRIEF HISTORY OF VIRAL VIDEOS !
- VANESSA HUDGENS - " Say Ok Music Video"
- VANESSA HUDGENS BEACH PARTY
- VANESSA HUDGENS HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL NUDIE
- 4-YEAR OLD CALLS POLICE FOR HELP WITH MATH ?
- GOOD LUCK CHUCK - " THE L WORD"
- LUCIANO PAVAROTTI & JAMES BROWN "MAN...
- GUMMY BEARS - THE CANDY SO DELICIOUS...
- EVA LONGORIA - ARENA MAGAZINE SHOOT
- ▼ September (123)