TAKEN FROM FASTCOMPANY.COM
Well, that didn't take long. When the New York Yankees were eliminated from the playoffs Monday night, the baseball season, for all intents and purposes, ended.
Forget the battle between Arizona and Colorado, in an NLCS that promises to draw about twelve viewers east of the Rockies. Not to mention those upstart Indians -- who took down the Yanks -- or a Red Sox team that seems the clear favorite to win its second World Series in four seasons.
No, the story in baseball is now all about one man. One agent, to be exact, who seems to believe he is the first in history to represent a deity.
Scott Boras, the high-powered agent for several stars including Yankees third-baseman Alex Rodriguez, is already pushing up his asking price should A-Rod decide to opt out of his contract.
As CNBC's Darren Rovell reported yesterday on his sports business blog, Boras believes A-Rod is worth at least $500 million over the next 10 years. That's almost double his current $252 million deal, which was signed after the 2000 season and remains the most expensive in baseball history.
My initial reaction was that Boras must be out of his mind. But Rovell got him on the phone later in the day and came away impressed by his logic. Basically, he says, team-owned regional sports networks have changed baseball's economic landscape:
Before A-Rod, the YES Network never did better than a 3.2 rating. Since A-Rod came to the team, the network has seen its ratings rise to a record 4.7 this season. Since no significant position player has been acquired since Rodriguez joined the Yankees in 2004, Boras says he can contribute the ratings rise -- as well as the turnstile rise, by the way -- to his client being on the team…
…YES, which was given an initial value of $850 million upon launch in 2001 is now said to be worth about $3 billion.
While I remain dubious that A-Rod is the sole reason for the network's growth -- afterall, YES had only existed for two seasons when A-Rod arrived in New York -- Boras makes a compelling argument. If one marquee player can have a dramatic impact on an RSN's ratings, then isn't he worth whatever the ratings boost brings in advertising revenues? From a purely economic perspective, I can't say that he's not.
That said, I don't like the implications of Boras' logic. Team-owned regional sports networks should generate revenue to help support a winning team, not the other way around. And despite the potential to grow an RSN, signing A-Rod to an earth-shattering deal isn't the best way to put a successful product on the field.
Just look at the Yankees. They lost because they couldn't pitch; their go-to guy, Chien-Ming Wang, lasted exactly one inning in Monday's season-ending loss. Now consider that the four teams still alive in the playoffs have five pitchers between them who won at least 17 games this season, and that those five guys made a total of $21,054,167 in 2007 -- even less than A-Rod ($27 million) in his current deal. As far as wins and losses go, especially come playoff time, there are clearly better ways for a team to spend its money.
In the end, Scott Boras has always valued the biggest deal over championships. But A-Rod already has the biggest deal in history. If he really wants a ring to cement his place as the Greatest Of All-Time, he should be careful about how high he lets his agent go.
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
SHE IS A POTENTIAL F D I L F !!! Meghan McCain is a 23-year-old, socially liberal John Kerry voter who loves Superbad, Dita von Teese, Bud L...
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
Princess Eugenie of York, 18, daughter of Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York and Prince Andrew Wales, Duke of York, took part in a naked celebr...
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any po...
OSBORN COX? - NOW THAT IS A GREAT NAME !!!
View the Niles Lesh - ADRIANA LIMA Photo Collection ! See ET's video of ADRIANA LIMA flying in the V1 JETS SEAPLANE
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- ► 2008 (1240)
- LISTBUMS - WORST HALLOWEEN CANDIES
- DOUG STANHOPE - GENERATION SUCK
- CLELEBRITY HALLOWEEN COSTUME CHALLENGE
- HELLO? YES I WILL NOT BE IN WORK TODAY...
- DAILY SHOW - CALIFORNIA FIRES IN REVIEW
- THE UNSEEN DANGER OF CHEERLEADING
- WHICH CANDIDATE HAS THE HOTTEST WIFE ?
- KIM KARDASHIAN HAS FINALLY ARRIVED !
- AMBUSHED ! "JANET JACKSON - TYLER PERRY "
- HOW FUNNY IS CONAN OBRIEN ???
- THE MISSISSIPPI MIRACLE 15 LATERAL TD !
- KOREAN PROTESTERS - NOW THAT'S A FIRE !!!
- AXIS OF EVIL COMEDY TOUR "ARABS & PERSIANS "
- SCARY HALLOWEEN PRANK ON TV ANCHORS
- HEY DICK ! " WAKE UP " ! ! !
- CRAZY NEW HALLOWEEN CANDIES
- CLASSIC 1970'S HORROR MOVIE TRAILERS
- THE GOVERNATOR OUTWITS A REPORTER !
- Human race will 'split into two different species'...
- HALLE BERRY'S GOT TWO NEW FRIENDS !
- KIM KARDASHIAN- PLAYBOY SPREAD COMING SOON !
- HOW TO MAKE A SCARY POLITICAL AD ?
- STEPHEN COLBERT - LOSING IT 2003
- HERE COMES COMET 17P HOLMES ! ! !
- THE HEAD CRUSHER vs THE FACE PINCHER !
- TRUMP HAS PIMPED REALITY TV AGAIN !
- GUILTY - Barmaid crushed cans with breasts ! ! !
- GISELE BUNDCHEN - ON THE BEACH
- MENA SUVARI - TOPLESS B&W SPREAD
- SOFIE MONK - NEW SEXY PETA AD ! ! !
- SALMA HAYEK - BREASTS FROM GOD ?
- AL BUNDY - FAT WOMAN MONTAGE
- BILL "NICK WINTERS" MURRAY - STAR WARS
- SCARLETT JOHANNSON - JUST PLAIN PRETTY ?
- INTERGALACTIC ANAL PROBING ALIENS ! ! !
- HOW TELEVISION REALLY WORKS ???
- BILL MAHER DONT PLAY THAT !!!
- FREE PSYCHIC ENERGY READINGS ???
- THE EXTREME MORMON PITCH ???
- AN ONLINE DATING EXPERIENCE ???
- FUN WITH MIRRORS AND TWINS ! ! !
- KELLY BROOK HAS SOMETHING FOR SALE ?
- GREG BRADY STONED ???
- I WOULD SHAVE MY MUFF FOR YOU !
- RUNWAY MODEL FALLS IN HOLE ???
- SARAH JESSICA PARKER - BRIDE OF FRANKENSTIEN ?
- POPE JOHN PAUL II IS BACK FOR HALLOWEEN
- LUCY PINDER - 2008 CALENDAR PHOTOS
- A SHORT HISTORY OF INFORMATION SYSTEMS
- 1938 CARTOON ANIMATION TECHNIQUES
- EWAN MACGREGOR - HOOKED AGAIN ???
- ROSE MCGOWAN - ABOVE MAG - COLOR SPREAD
- WHAT DOES DENNIS KUCINICH HAVE IN HIS POCKETS ?
- ROSE MCGOWAN - "ABOVE MAG" B&W SPREAD
- LINDSAY LOHAN - APPARENTLY BROKE ???
- 59 YEAR OLD COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYER !
- KATE MOSS - SEXY SEE THROUGH !
- Si te gusta el sexo oral, vote por Caragol por con...
- WORST CELEBRITY PLASTIC SURGERY
- ATTENTION ! ADMEN WANTED IMMEDIATE OPENINGS
- ONLY IN NYC BABY- "GET THE F*CK OUT OF MY OFFICE" ...
- ARE YOU INJURED, UNEMPLOYED OR DRUNK ?
- EVA MENDES - NEW MAXIM SPREAD
- People Who's Sheer Presence Makes Normal Situation...
- SOUTHPARK -RANDY'S WORLD RECORD CRAP ?
- LEFT BRAIN OR RIGHT BRAIN ???
- A-ROD LOOKING AT 500 MILLION OVER 10 YEARS ?
- WHAT'S THE NAME OF THAT SONG ???
- THE ULTIMATE TALENT COMPETITION ???
- WTF - AN EAR FOR ART ???
- HUGH GRANT PARTIES WITH COEDS ! ! !
- TARA REID - FHM "THE POWER OF PHOTOSHOP" ?
- NEW MARINE RECRUITING AD WITH DISCLAIMERS
- CHARLIZE THERON -SEXY WOMAN SILLY NAME
- Billionaire has given away an estimated $4 billion...
- CHICKEN FRIED BACON ???
- LINDSAY LOHAN - CLEAN, SOBER &TOTALLY BRAINWASHED ...
- THE HISTORY OF THE "WILHELM SCREAM"
- OH REALLY, SENATOR CRAIG, REALLY ?
- ANGELINE JOLIE - ARTY NEW SPREAD
- BRITNEY DANCES NAKED FOR HERSELF ?
- GISELE BUNDCHEN- HOTTEST YET IN ITALIAN GQ
- J - LO CAN STILL DANCE "PREGNANT" WITH TWINS !
- A DAY IN THE LIFE OF BRITNEY SPEARS ?
- BRITNEY SPEARS - BLACKOUT ???
- BASE JUMPING - BELIEVE A MAN CAN FLY ?
- JAPANESE TV- TABLE CLOTH YANKING
- THE CRUSHER - TALKING POINTS ?
- HILLARY CLINTON -WHAT'S SO FUNNY ???
- BEAR WITH SQUEAKY TOY
- PARIS HILTON - CELEBRITY TOPLESS SHOPPING ?
- ROCKIES SWEEP PHILLIES
- 300 KPH ON THE AUTOBAHN ! ! !
- VATICAN ISSUES A TEMPLAR PROPOGANDA PIECE?
- SAY IT LOUD - I AM REPUBLICAN AND PROUD !
- WHY SOUTHPARK HATES THE FAMILY GUY ?
- ANGELINE JOLIE - PARK AVENUE MAGAZINE
- MAXIM MAGAZINE- 2007 HOMETOWN HOTTIES
- HELEN MIRREN - SEXY, 62, TOPLESS IN GQ !
- MILLA JOVOVICH - ABOUT 70 POUNDS AGO
- ▼ October (112)