Outrage at India menstrual form
By Monica Chadha
BBC News, Mumbai
All India Services (Performance Appraisal Report) Rules, 2007
The form asks for a "detailed menstrual history"
Women civil servants in India have expressed shock at new appraisal rules which require them to reveal details of their menstrual cycles.
Under the new nationwide requirements, female officials also have to say when they last sought maternity leave.
Women civil servants say the questions are a gross invasion of privacy. One told the BBC she was "gobsmacked".
Annual appraisals and health checks are mandatory in India's civil service. The ministry was unavailable for comment.
But one of its most senior bureaucrats was quoted in the press as saying the new questions had been based on advice from health officials.
The questions at the root of the controversy are on page 58 of the new appraisal forms for the current year issued by the federal Ministry for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions.
I have no intention of telling them anything about my personal life
Maharashtra environment secretary
Women officers must write down their "detailed menstrual history and history of LMP [last menstrual period] including date of last confinement [maternity leave]," the form says.
Women working in the civil service told the BBC the government had no need for this kind of personal information.
"I am completely shocked!" said Sharwari Gokhale, environment secretary in western Maharashtra state.
"I have absolutely no words to describe how I feel and I have no intention of telling them anything about my personal life.
"It's gob smacking."
Ms Gokhale said she had also served in the personnel department at the ministry which drafted the new forms and, while the health of officials was always a concern, asking such questions never crossed their minds.
Maharashtra's joint secretary for general administration, Seema Vyas, agreed that the new questions were uncalled for.
I assume this will help evaluate the officer's fitness
Personnel department secretary
"Menstrual cycles are a natural phenomenon, they are not an aberration. One does not object to questions related to fitness levels - they are important as they can affect work.
"But there is no need for these details as this does not have any bearing on our work," she told the BBC.
"When we apply for maternity leave, we put in the appropriate application and the government already has those records so why ask again?"
HAVE YOUR SAY
there are somethings that employers don't need to know and this is one of them.
Send us your comments
She said she and her colleagues were thinking of writing a letter to the authorities protesting at the questions.
Despite repeated attempts, the BBC was unable to speak to the head of the personnel department, Satyanand Mishra.
The Hindustan Times newspaper quoted him as saying the questions were based on advice from the Ministry of Health.
"We sought the ministry's help to draw up a health-history format. I assume this will help evaluate the officer's fitness," he told the paper.
EUROPE'S FINEST TOPLESS HONEYS
Ava Fiore is a Playboy model and 2002 Golden Gloves champion boxer. She was arrested on Wednesday night on I 80 east in Kimball, Nebraska. P...
"Intelligence is the capacity to receive, decode and transmit information efficiently. Stupidity is blockage of this process at any po...
OSBORN COX? - NOW THAT IS A GREAT NAME !!!
SADLY ITS ON IN THE UK ONLY U ndressing the nation: The style gurus strip down to their bras ITV has been bombarded with complaints after a...
Business must be slow for porn star Amy Reid these days. Reid is advertising her “services” on an escort service website. Now you too can pi...
Yes ALL of these women are over 50 years old, sure some of them have had some work, but I mean come on a few are grand mothers (GMILFS)!, a...
Where: Lekeitio, in the Basque region of Spain. What: Antzar Eguna or "Goose Day" has its roots in at least 350 years of Spanish i...
Hey ! Its Been Awhile Right ? So since the last post a lot has happened mostly this... - All Rights Reserved 2010 - The Niles Les...
Eating fresh watermelon could help men pep up their love lives, scientists said yesterday. The fruit has a similar effect to taking Viagra, ...
Missed it ? - The Archives !
- ► 2010 (80)
- ► 2009 (319)
- ► 2008 (1240)
- BRUCE WILLIS DROPS THE MUTHER F-BOMB ! ! !
- ASTRONAUT TRAINING - THE VOMIT COMET ! ! !
- WHEAT GLUTEN KILLER OR PROTEIN FILLER ?
- WHICH IS THE RIGHT CHOICE ? - WHY ?
- POPEYE - EPISODE 1
- THE DONALD KISSES ROSIE OFF ! ! !
- FORD MOTOR COMPANY "SOLDIER COMMERCIAL"
- SFX WORKSHOP- "ROBOTIC" DINOSUARS ! ! !
- DAVE CHAPPELLE - WHY SESAME STREET SUCKS !
- CHAPPELLE & WAYNE BRADY -"TRAINING DAY"
- BLACK BUSH - "THE WAR IN IRAQ" - CLASSIC ! ! !
- SEN. MIKE GRAVEL SMACKS DOWN CANDIDATES !
- THE ALL VEGETABLE ORCHESTRA ! ! !
- RON PAUL - MY FAVORITE REPUBLICAN !
- CELL PHONE ETIQUETTE OR DEATH ?
- AMERICAN IDOL - JACK BLACK ???
- WHY POP MUSIC SUCKS ? ? ?
- BUSH FEELS THE WORLD BEAT ! ! !
- NUN + PORN = FUNNY CONFUSED PEOPLE ! ! !
- BYE BYE ROSIE ???
- WHY I LOVE SHOPLIFTING ! ! !
- PAY BACK IS A MO FO !!!
- "TOP GEAR" GUY GETS HYPNOTIZED ! ! !
- TRAILER - RESIDENT EVIL - "EXTINCTION" ! ! !
- AUSTRALIAN TERROR RESPONCE NETWORK
- JESSICA LYNCH - TELLS THE REAL STORY ! ! !
- WHY YOU DON'T BRING YOUR KID TO THE GAME !
- THE MORAL REALITY OF FAIRY TALES ???
- THE FAT CHICK DEBATE- "WOULD YA" ???
- NOT ANOTHER BORING FINANCIAL REPORT !!!
- LIFE IN THE "FOOD CHAIN" ! ! !
- PAPARAZZI - JUST SO DARN " UNLIKABLE" ! ! !
- BRITISH CELEBRITY- "SWEAR OFF"
- TIGER WOODS "CADDY SHACK" SHOT
- TORBOTO- THE TERRORIST INTERROGATOR ! ! !
- TOP 10 GEORGE W BUSH MOMENTS - REMIX
- JESSICA ALBA - FANTASTIC STRIP ! ! !
- JESSICA BEIL - KICKS VAMPIRE BUTT ! ! !
- CATWOMAN -VISITS THE BATCAVE ! ! !
- BRITNEY SPEARS _ HOT AGAIN ? ? ?
- REDSOX TAKING BATTING PRACTICE AGAINST YANKEES
- NEW CHINESE SENSATION ! ! !
- THE SUN - NOW IN SUPER 3-D ! ! !
- CAN YOU HANDLE THE "NYC LIVE THEATRE" EXPERIENCE !...
- MARGE SIMPSON - "GOOGLES HERSELF" !!!
- 14 YEAR OLD CRASHES DAD'S 50K MUSTANG!!!
- BORAT MEETS MARTHA STEWART ! ! !
- BOB SAGET - UNSAFE FOR WORK ? WOW! ! !
- BORIS YELTSIN 1931-2007 "THE PARTY PRESIDENT"
- TRIALER - SPIDERMAN 3 - "VENOM"
- MICHAEL SHERMER _ "ARE YOU SKEPTICAL" ???
- TEACHER FIRED OVER "VATECH LESSON"
- SCARLETT JOHANNSON -"SHOWS OFF HER JUNK"
- "KENTUCKY FRIED" HILARY ! ! !
- MATISYAHU - THE ORTHODOX REGGE RAPPE R !
- ALBERTO GONZALES - REMEMBERS ? ? ?
- TRAILER = NEW HARRY POTTER -"ORDER OF THE PHEONIX...
- BILL HICKS LAST SHOW 11-17-1993
- WHAT'S SO FUNNY ???
- NEWYORK CITY UNDERGROUND CLASSICS !!!
- PACHABEL'S CANON- KOREAN KID STYLE !!!
- THE DJ - SPIN
- BJORK - "EARTH INTRUDERS"
- THE OFFICE - THE MOCKERY
- GREATEST "GOD OF WAR II" TRAILER- EVER ! ! !
- *bill gates+ steve jobs gettin' a little freaky *
- BIZARRE CHINESE WEDDING PHOTO CULTURE!!!
- MONTY PYTHON - FLYING LESSONS
- THE CANADIAN ARMY ROCKET SURPRIZE ! ! !
- MISMATCH ? SPEED VS POWER ! ! !
- WHEN A GIRL GETS HER WISHES ! ! !
- RONALDINHO - THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD
- CLOSE CALL - " BABY FALLS OUT OF CAR" ! ! !
- REXONA COMMERCIAL- "TYPICAL DAY IN THE LIFE"
- TYPICAL OFFICE MEETING - SH*T HAPPENS ! ! !
- RANDOM BLOG "HOTTIES"
- BOB GELDORF 'S DAUGHTER IN A "MINI MINI" SKIRT ! ...
- PAM ANDERSON - BIKINI BEACH PIX
- SCARLETT JOHANNSEN - IN LIVING COLOR ! ! !
- MISS AMERICA 1944,82 -STOPS INTRUDER WITH HER HAND...
- THE TRAP
- FAMILY GUY - "PIE CONTEST"
- ALEX BALDWIN & HIS THOUGHTLESS LITTLE PIG
- LITTLE TOWN WITH A BIG LAW ! ! !
- BUGS BUNNY "1930'S RACIAL STEREOTYPE" STYLE
- SEXY GERMAN "AXE SHOWER GEL" COMMERCIAL
- APOLOGY-BOT 3000 ! ! !
- DO YOU REALLY LOVE YOUR CAR ? ? ?
- JAPANESE LEARNING HOW AMERICANS PLAYBALL
- PHILADELPHIA FLYERS (06-07) SEASON HIGHLIGHT
- SIMPSONS - "REAL LIFE" INTRO
- SIMPSONS - "REALITY IS AN ILLUSION" INTRO
- ODD WEAPONS OF CHOICE BY "VATECH" SHOOTER
- VINCE YOUNG'S "MADDEN CURSE" COUNTDOWN
- LIFE AS A MARINE GRUNT IN AFGHANISTAN !!!
- 100 HUNGRY DOGS - 1 PILE OF FOOD ! ! !
- THERE'S A PARTY IN SWEDENS PANTS ! ! !
- CLASSIC TV - "ONLY IN AMERICA " ! ! !
- MESSI - GOOOOOOOOOOAL ! ! !
- EVENT PROBABILITY = .0000001%
- ▼ April (308)